Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #1  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Default When people come back...

after a summer hiatus, which most people do in higher ed, you get some fascinating reactions.

I've lost 82 lbs, been working on it for many months. I worked with these people all winter and through the spring. Toward the spring a few people noticed and commented on losses- around the 50 lb mark. I lost about 15 lbs over the summer.

Yesterday and today we had full-day planning meetings of the entire staff and faculty - and I'll bet 30 people commented on my weight loss in one way or another. You'd think they'd never seen me before! Indeed, a few said that they hardly recognized me. It was partly gratifying to hear people notice, but also occasionally very embarrassing - not all were discreet or thoughtful in their comments. Even my boss asked if I'd lost weight, and I see her regularly.

So I don't know if it was that last 15 lbs making a real difference, or the time off, but I assure you the retreat was an experience I'll remember.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

This will be happening to me come Monday. AND I just got a short new hair cut to boot. I am bracing myself for it because it already happened at the gym with the new hair cut and no one knows me there! I walked in with a new hair cut and suddenly everyone wanted to know how much weight I'd lost!

I too worked with these people all last year and I've been working on this since November. I certainly got comments last year...but this summer's 15-20 pounds has been significant. And I bet yours has too. Those few pounds are more dramatic the smaller you get and you're pretty small now.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I am having the EXACT same thing happen. I'd lost 120 lbs at the end of school last year, but I think people really, honestly forgot that, and so now when they see me it's like I lost it all at once. Seventeen year old boys are telling me I look great, and it takes a LOT for them to notice that a teacher over 25 even exists below the neck, and actually saying something is really remarkable. They aren't making creepy comments, just like honestly amazed. I don't really like it, but it will calm down.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #4  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I had lost 30 pounds by the end of the school year, but took DS to back to school night and had everyone commenting. Those last 15 pounds must have made a bigger change than I had thought. It may have helped that I was dressed fairly nice - they're the only clothes that fit me since I've recently become pantsless. I'm bracing for the other 2 back to school nights next week.

Now that the weight loss is more obvious, some of the people who are overweight feel the need to tell me how they've gained weight over the summer. I feel really bad and I'm not sure what to say to them. And I got a "you skinny b****h" glare from one of the other moms. I'm not skinny, and I'm a perfectly nice person (I'd like to think) - where did that come from?
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #5  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

Congratulations to all of you!!! I'm jealous and working toward that same reaction myself--I just started my plan in July, so I'm going to be working all through the school year, and hopefully next fall I'll be getting some of these same comments.

I'm so impressed by all of your success!!! Thanks for posting and giving me another thing to dream about--it keeps me going!!
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Next Friday I will be seeing people that I haven't seen in 60lbs. I am actually a little anxious about it, but excited, too. I know it will be weird.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

I go back for my last year in my program at the end of the month and I am a bit worried about the reactions. Since this time last year I have lost almost 50lbs and 17 since I last saw most of my cohort. I hope no one makes a big deal about it. I can picture a few snipey comments, but am preparing myself to just rise above them if need be.

Last edited by envelope; 08-15-2010 at 12:27 AM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #8  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Luckily I've been on summer vacation for
anyone to see my weight loss changes. It's
nice that they at least noticed your changes.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote