Hungry Night...

• What do you do when you are really hungry at night?
  • I try a cup of tea. And I have a bunch of different kinds so I never feel bored. Sometimes I will add a little honey or soy milk (or both), other teas I drink clear. Vanilla or caramel flavoured rooibos teas are really delicious - sweet and naturally caffeine free! I also have a coconut chai tea that I really like.
  • I make mug of coffee with instant coffee and a cup of lactose-free milk (81 calories). Milky coffee always feels decadent, so I feel mentally satisfied as well as physically. If all else fails, I go to bed (instant coffee never keeps me awake.)
  • Fiber One yogurt only has 50 calories, I try to just eat one and go to bed. I like to read so often curling up in bed and reading does it for me.
  • If I'm genuinely experiencing physical symptoms of hunger (e.g., stomach rumbling), at any time of day or night, I would definitely eat or drink something. I think it's really important to listen to your body and respond appropriately. I think drinks, like the ladies above mentioned, is a great idea. There are other small snacks you could eat too, like a slice of bread, some yoghurt, some nuts or fruit, crackers, etc. If I found myself repeatedly being physically hungry late at night (e.g., more than half the time), I would look to what I was eating during the day and make adjustments so that I felt satisfied throughout the day, and only hungry towards meal times and times when I was planning to eat.
  • What kind of hunger? If it's just a strong urge to eat, I just ignore it, or drink something without calories. But if I am light-headed, stomach grinding hungry, then I eat something and add it to my daily count: a 100 calorie bag of popcorn or a pile of carrots or 6 triscuits. It doesn't have to be a meal to take the edge off.

If I go to bed really hungry (not just really wanting to eat), I will not sleep, and spending all night awake thinking about how hungry I am is NOT a good way to stay on plan the next day.