3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Cold Water vs. Hot Water (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/209086-cold-water-vs-hot-water.html)

NaturalStupidit 08-04-2010 05:27 PM

Cold Water vs. Hot Water

I'm sure this has been on here at some point before, but I'm just wondering. . . do the temperature of you water make any difference?

TJFitnessDiva 08-04-2010 05:33 PM

I really don't think it does....my water has to be cold but if I'm super thirsty after a workout I'm not as picky :)

astrophe 08-04-2010 05:35 PM

I prefer cool water, no ice.

But if I'm thirsty I'll take it whatever way is handiest. My mom likes to drink plain hot water but me? At that point may as well make green tea!

A.

Rosinante 08-04-2010 05:35 PM

I drink my room temperature, because I usually down a large glass at a time, and if it's too cold it hurts my stomach.

If I'm sipping a lady-like glass, then I like it chiiiillled.

envelope 08-04-2010 05:50 PM

I have read that cold water burns a few calories and that room temp is best for when you need to rehydrate fast.

PinkHoodie 08-04-2010 08:20 PM

Right now in the summer I CRAVE a big bottle of ice water. Yummmmmmm. But I am the same as others, if I am really thirsty I will drink it even if its room tempature.

Trazey34 08-04-2010 09:08 PM

I think I read somewhere that super cold water burns a few more cals, as your body has to raise the temp up to body temp. Either way, the only water I like is about 1 degree below freezing lol freeeeeeeeeezing collllddddd no lemon or flavour in it, i can guzzle it by the gallon!

Onederchic 08-04-2010 09:30 PM

I like my water with ice.

kaplods 08-04-2010 09:36 PM

The calorie differential is so small, it really doesn't matter. Drinking it the way you like it best, makes the most sense.

It's true, in theory that cold water would have a "negative" calorie balance because you'd have to burn additional calories to maintain body temperature, but I remember in college a human biology professor had us calculate how much weight you could lose (in theory) just with this change. I don't remember the specific results, but it was something ridiculously low like 3-4 lb per year (assuming 1 gallon of ice water consumed per day).

He went on to further debunk, talking about ways in which the "real math" was probably even less (such as the reduction in body temperature, could increase hunger.... stuff like that).

hpnodat 08-04-2010 09:39 PM

My uncle used to say, "I like my water with no ice cause I don't like it watered down". lol

I like my water chilled from the front of the fridge, where my filtered water comes from. I don't care for it freezing cold because it hurts my teeth. If I have it with ice I only put a few cubes in just to chill it.

duckyyellowfeet 08-04-2010 09:43 PM

Cold water is my favorite. I really don't like it any other way, maybe slightly chilly but not room temperature.
Hot water needs a tea bag, imo

kelly315 08-04-2010 10:02 PM

Drinking ice water does make you burn a few more calories, which, of course, can add up.

Lindifer 08-05-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpnodat (Post 3421227)
My uncle used to say, "I like my water with no ice cause I don't like it watered down". lol

That is so funny! Reminds me of something my Grandpa would say.

I like my water a little tiny bit colder than room temp. It kills my teeth when it's any colder unless I use a straw, and I don't like using a straw with water.:shrug:

kcx 08-05-2010 12:43 AM

I can only drink my water cold and with lemon flavoring...I think plain water has a weird slimy taste...I'm super weird, I know :dizzy:

famograham 08-05-2010 01:51 AM

COLD...with tons of ice to crunch!
I fill my 24 oz. cup with ice cubes and then top it up with water, no lemon, hardly ever at least...yummmmmy :)

I read something a while back that said drinking cold water was REALLY bad for you because the cold congealed any fat and it would lead to blocked arteries...etc...
I figured that MUST be one of those silly myths...
What do you think?