I was just talking to somebody about Allen Carr's book about how to quit smoking.
I think a lot of us have a food addition here in the 100 lbs club.
The book says that you should look at the way you feel about your addiction. It says you should look at the advantages, and the disadvantages of you addiction. You should not feel deprived
that you cannot overeat (or smoke as in the book), otherwise you want to overeat forever, and you will always be an addict. You should feel relieved that you do not have to overeat! Mind over matter!
Apparently, there is a chapter in the book about the 'advantages of smoking'... but it is BLANK! I think it is quite a metal shock to see these blank pages staring back at you about the 'advantages of smoking'. Therefore - there are no advantages.
The book says that some people say that you feel better when you smoke - but the author says it is untrue. If it wasn't for smoking, you wouldn't feel bad to begin with. I relate to this so much. There are so many times I overeat to feel better, but my weight was the main reason for my state of mind to begin with. It's like a evil cycle that never stops.
So, I was thinking, I am going to list all the advantages and disadvantages of overeating or eating too much or what are the disadvantages of over eating in the past.. Next time when I want to overeat, or eat something unhealthy, maybe this exercise will help to fight the craving - or the addiction. Feel free to jump in with your own.
Disadvantages of overeating:
- It keeps me at the weight I am at (230lbs) or make me gain more weight.
- I feel horrible the next day - always very tired with no energy.
- Because of my weight, my knees and feet really hurt.
- I feel ugly.
- I always say no to any social events and try to hide in my house.
- Because of the above point, I almost have NO friends, and I am not making any, either.
- I am ashamed to eat in front of people, so I will sneak food and eat when nobody knows. I use to believe that you should be proud of everything you do - but I am so ashamed of what I eat.
- I have a closet FULL of clothes - currently only THREE sets of clothes suit me, and therefore I usually feel as if I look like a homeless person.
- When I go clothes shopping, I feel so depressed and sad.
- My skin is a mess, and I am sure it is due to eating unhealthy foods.
- I am always postponing things in my life. I want to do karate classes, get a boyfriend, join social events, go skydiving - when I lose the weight... this has been going on for years.
- When I overeat, it makes me feel better for about 30 minutes.
That it!! Thats how long the fix last. - I am giving up everything! My whole life for a 30 minute fix at a time!
No, never again.