AUGUST NSV's

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • For those of you unfamiliar with the term, NSV stands for Non Scale Victory. This is where we share our progress on matters that don't necessarily relate to the actual number on the scale. Such as making a healthier choice, resisting temptation, receiving a compliment (we're big on those), fitting into clothing better, something in the fitness area and so on and so on. So let's start filling it up!
  • The very cute cashier at the gas station totally flirted with me today. I don't know if he flirts with everyone who comes in, but it totally took my mind off the bag of doritos I wanted to buy!
  • At lunch DH put a highly attractive off-plan food on the table today, after I'd thought about it and decided not to put it on the table. Usually I'll indulge. I totally ignored it, ate my planned food and didn't feel like I was missing anything.
  • I stayed totally under calories Sat. and Sunday under less than ideal conditions for me. On Sat. the family wanted to go to Ryan's buffet to eat. They have not gone in months because of me, so I did not want to hinder them. I ate exactly what I planned. First a salad, just lettuce and low calorie veggies, no cheese, no dressing. Then I had half a baked chicken breast, cabbage, green beans, and one scoop of mashed potatoes. Dessert was pineapple from the salad station. I felt so good when I left.

Sunday we had a church dinner and a friend and I made a plan together. I took green beans and ham. She took Brussels sprouts, squash and onions, and a congealed salad that she makes with sugar free Jello. We both had a full plate and were able to ignore all the fatty and high sugar dishes.

I have found that planning is the key for me to succeed.
  • Well done - it looks like you've got this way of eating down to second nature now!

(I'd love to see the jello salad recipe btw!)
  • Rosinante, Do you have church dinners in England? I declare whenever 2 or more of us gather together, I am afraid that it is to eat rather than gather in His name!
  • We do sometimes! My congregation is amazing, and from lots of different countries, so our Feasts are very multicultural! At the last one we had food from Barbados, England, Ethiopia, Nigeria, St. Kitts & Nevis and Scotland. Of course, I mostly just sniffed it last time!
  • Today I chose to say no to a brownie that my grandmother was attempting to guilt me into eating. This is the first time I've chosen to say no to an item of food since deciding to re-attempt losing the weight.
  • I went to the store for diapers and didn't grab the candy bar I usually get. It was literally right under my nose at the check out counter too. I just got what I needed and left
  • My size 3X work pants (scrubs) were pretty much indecently baggy today -- if they didn't have draw strings they would have been on the floor!
  • I can wear knee high boots now and I actually like my legs, still working on the upper thigh chunks but they look pretty.
  • it was my father in laws birthday....and i TURNED down cake! the yummy coated with fat buttercream icing kind, normally i could eat 3 peices and not bat an eye, i did have one peice of icing but that's it.
  • After my previous victory over the brownie pushing grandma... she's decided to make an entire large tray of them and place them in the middle of the breakfast table.

I continue to mentally say no to them every time I walk by.
  • In the last 30 days, I have overcome my denials and have made and kept appointments with my primary care doctor, my gynecologist (how many of us hate that one!!??), and my endocrinologist. This is literally the first time in years I've been to any doctor. Next, and harder for me, is the dentist--new goal.
  • This morning I did more housework before leaving for work than I could have done in an entire morning when I was at my heaviest. I don't think that I truly realized how much my weight was holding me back. Life is just so much better now. I have to remember this when I am wanting to eat cake and other sweets.