Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #1  
Highest Known Weight: 305

S/C/G: 290.5/Tic/199

Height: 5'7"

Default SOOOOO Frustrated!!!

I am just so upset right now! I have been on plan for over a month now. I have been working my a.. off, eating right, exercise, and water.

I was down 6 pounds in a month. That was OK, although I wasn't thrilled with that number. A few years ago, I could have lost that in a couple of weeks.

I have been limiting my carb intake to strictly veggies and fruits and feeling great. After hearing my best friend tell me over and over that I would not be able to live that way forever, I decided to have a 100% whole wheat bun with my turkey burger last night. I gained 3 pounds OVERNIGHT! I feel horrible. I am extremely bloated and groggy. I could barely get out of bed this morning. I feel like bursting into tears!

I am sure that it's all water, so I will guzzle like nobody's business today. My main frustration comes from the inability to eat wheat. Most things, even healthy seem to revolve around it. I am afraid that all grains will have the same effect.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how did you ever get the scale to start and continue moving down?

Last edited by kallismom; 07-26-2010 at 08:03 AM.
kallismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I hit several road blocks, until one day I just put my scale away. I didn't weigh myself for over three weeks and I had like a 10 lb drop. I see it as watching water boil, sometimes it just takes forever. It could be a combo of water retention and high sodium. I know if I eat pickles, HELLO, I gain 5 lbs over night! Don't stress, your body may just be rebelling a little.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #3  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I have no advice, but {{{{hugs}}} to you.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

6 lbs. a month WILL get you where you want to be. That's my rate, and as you can see by my ticker I'm closing in on 100 lbs. lost.

You do know that you didn't really gain 3 lbs from a 100 calorie wheat bun, right? I can't comment on your other symptoms as I don't have any grain sensitivities at all but can assure you it's not a fat gain you're seeing on the scale.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You could have an allergy to wheat. Perhaps you ought to have this checked out by a doctor. Wheat allergy is usually very specific--even if you are allergic, there are other grains you can have. And sometimes it's only whole grain wheat that sets it off. A doctor can tell you more.

Six pounds in a month is great--who are you racing with?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm still learning about my body and about how it weighs on the scales. At the minute, I'm trying to teach myself to weigh daily and to note the results, rather than fret. Have to say, it's easier to do when the scales go down.

The increase will be all water, unless you ate 3,500 calories' worth of bun!

I believe (self-diagnosed) that I have a wheat intolerance, not an allergy. Wheat makes me bloat and er um be noisy..... :blush:

However, I didn't do too well on just fruit and veg. carbs, I really needed to have some starchy carbs. I get them from oats breakfast cereal and oatcakes, sometimes the occasional potato, if I'm feeling daring lol.

I've always sworn by oats - they're filling and they're quite gentle; they seem to help clear things out but aren't too harsh on my system. Might be worth a try?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #7  

Thanks guys! I guess it probably is sodium, I didn't think about it at first. It seemed the bun was the only thing different, but I did have more sodium than usual yesterday. When you really start paying attention to what you're eating and how you feel afterwards, the changes are significant (good or bad).

Quote:
You do know that you didn't really gain 3 lbs from a 100 calorie wheat bun, right?
I do know I didn't gain 3 pounds from a bun.

I have just always given up so fast in the past, and not payed attention or focused. Now that I am, it's all so new to me.
Hopefully, I will be able to keep things in better perspective, try to learn a little everyday about how my body works, and enjoy the process.

I don't think I'm going to give up on wheat COMPLETELY. I just think I'll keep a journal for a while and monitor how I feel after eating it.

Quote:
Six pounds in a month is great--who are you racing with?
Six pounds is great, and I am thankful. I just suddenly feel like all this extra fat is a really bad germ, and I just want it OFF!
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #8  

Thanks Rosinante. I do believe I'll give oats another try.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #9  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I'm the same way with carbs...I have a disease called PCOS that leads to Insulin Restitance, so carbs are really just not my friend. I have to reintroduce them very slowly...I had the same thing happen to me, but it was my own fault! Down to 219 on Friday, decided to give in to a chinese food craving and wam...gained 5 pounds. So annoying, but it happens. Just keep plugging away and you will get there!
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/194/140

Height: 5"

I felt the same way you felt on more than one occasion over the last few months. It is so frustrating but I kept reading articles on line and support groups with people who had suffered the same "I gained 5 pounds over night" syndrome. I started looking at my food journal, I wasnt eating enough calories and I was completely cutting out some foods both HUGE no no's. When they say "balanced" diet they really mean it. My body LOVES carbs, and instead of just not having them I gradually added them back into my diet, but in moderation. I GAINED 6 real pounds back after making the changes in my diet I almost had a dang break down, I battle to lose 2 pounds a week, but just like my nutritionist said my body adjust again (it's a smart machine) and within a week after the change I heard the angles singing at that mornings weigh in...5 POUNDS off, then following week, 4 POUNDS I'm averaging 3-4 pounds a week on 1200 calories and eliptical for 25 minutes 3-4 times a week. I had to make changes I can live by for the rest of my life because I was blessed with the "chubby chick" genitics thanks to my parents. Hope this helps...hang in there!
RMuniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #11  

Thanks Pink Hoodie. I have no choice but to keep plugging away. I know I'll figure this all out...eventually.

RMuniz, that is awesome that you figured out your "sweet spot" as so many on this site call it. I'm hoping to find mine soon!

Last edited by kallismom; 07-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.