3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Website to estimate weight loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/203599-website-estimate-weight-loss.html)

StuffedBunny 06-03-2010 10:29 AM

Website to estimate weight loss

http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Has anyone ever seen this site? The results are obviously estimations but do they seem consistant to your weight loss thus far?

ORSewmama 06-03-2010 10:35 AM

Not for me - it's close, but off a few weeks (6) vs. what I have lost this year (I have taken longer, not the other way around unfortunately). But that may be because I'm human and have stumbled a couple times :)

proudmommy09 06-03-2010 10:38 AM

im gonna check it out

kaplods 06-03-2010 10:46 AM

I've been using weight loss calculators since I was 12 (that's 33 years - back when you had to do the math yourself with pencil and paper, because calculators existed but cost over $100 for what is now a $1 calculator).

Every year and every diet, they became less and less accurate (consistently overestimating).

To me, it's reinforced the theory that chronic dieting can truly lower metabolism.

PeanutsMom704 06-03-2010 10:47 AM

I wish I lost as fast as it thinks. I'm not a total couch potato but when I put that it, it's more accurate for me in terms of my speed. I'd be happy to get to goal sooner than I will but I know that overall, it's more important to just get there, and staying on plan and even more importantly, getting right back on plan when I mess up, are what matters the most for me.

ubergirl 06-03-2010 10:56 AM

LOL! NO! I just put in the height, weight and age on which I started my weight loss journey, I lowballed my exercise for the past year and highballed my caloric average. According to that calculator, I should currently weigh 148-- my actual weight is 203. I know there are people on this site who lose over a hundred pounds in a year, so surely it's possible, but I don't know what I personally could have been doing differently.

I don't know why my metabolism is slow-- surely it's not chronic dieting as I ate whatever I wanted and then some for 20 years... but a year of exercising like crazy and staying within a low calorie allotment has only yielded me 90 lbs.

Interestingly, the closest I get is if I put in 1500 calories for intake and light exercise for exercise... I exercise vigorously at least 4 days a week, but I have a very sedentary job, so maybe that balances out, and I try to keep my calories in the 1200-1400 range so that's fairly close.

caryesings 06-03-2010 10:57 AM

Wow, that was amazing when I did it backwards, putting my starting weight and now knowing what my average daily calories have been over the past 14 months it was dead right!

So I went ahead and put in my current weight and planned average to see when I might meet goal. I haven't wanted to do this as saying to myself that I "should" be a certain weight by a certain date has set me up for failure in the past but this one seemed to come up with a very realistic time frame for me.

ETA: Oops, after reading other's comments I went back and looked and I had counted my months wrong. I'm 30 lbs behind their schedule. Guess I'll go erase that goal date from my calendar!

StuffedBunny 06-03-2010 10:58 AM

Yeah I know that is a crazy best case scenario calculation that the site gives, I was curious to see if it was even close for some people...so far, not so much. haha

StuffedBunny 06-03-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryesings (Post 3322198)
Wow, that was amazing when I did it backwards, putting my starting weight and now knowing what my average daily calories have been over the past 14 months it was dead right!

So I went ahead and put in my current weight and planned average to see when I might meet goal. I haven't wanted to do this as saying to myself that I "should" be a certain weight by a certain date has set me up for failure in the past but this one seemed to come up with a very realistic time frame for me.

Oh awesome! :D

cfmama 06-03-2010 11:20 AM

I put in what I used to weigh and how many calories I was eating and it said in a year I should have lost 117 pounds. I actually lost 155 pounds. But I was happy to see that I should be at GOAL within the next year so that was good!

time2lose 06-03-2010 11:43 AM

I also put in my starting weight and high-balled my calories and low-balled my exercise. It was not even close. I always find that calorie calculators tell me that I can eat way too many calories. That's life!

eclipse 06-03-2010 11:46 AM

It's estimating me to be at my goal weight a couple of months sooner than I expect to get there - in estimating how long it would take me, I planned for a holiday stall/slow down should I choose to go into maintenance at that time - so, maybe it'll be accurate.

I will say though - putting in my high weight and calories and activity level from when I started, and it showed me losing weight quite a bit slower than I actually did.

AZgal8 06-03-2010 11:58 AM

WOW.. that really makes me want to up the exercise and try to get there faster. Based on this link if I exercise like a pro athlete I can be in Onderland before my birthday in Oct. hmmm.... LOL

Now I just need to win the lottery to be able to hire a PT to kick my butt!

astrophe 06-03-2010 12:06 PM

Not accurate for me so far but interesting.

A

mandalinn82 06-03-2010 12:20 PM

Basically, if that was true, I'd be dead :rofl:

I put in my maintenance calories and it estimated I had a deficit of 1000 or so calories, meaning it thinks I should lose 2 lbs a week.