do people not recognize you?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • You know, recently when I've been out and about, I've suspected that people may not recognize me....

I'm not actually a very friendly person-- I tend to kind of get lost in my own little world-- so sometimes if I see someone I don't know very well I might not be very outgoing and say hi...

Nonetheless, I've noticed recently that when I see someone I know, but not well, like the parent of one of my kids' classmates, they don't say anything to me....

Is it possible that people just don't recognize me?
  • It could be .. losing as much as you have has to change how you look I have not seen pics to say one way or the other but I am sure some of them are not sure its you and dont wanna say anything
  • I was talking to a guy I haven't seen in a few years with a hat and sunglasses on and he didn't have a clue. It's possible,
  • It's very possible....I have a very large extended family & when I run into the ones I only see like once or maybe twice a year, they don't recognize me.

Now that I'm at my new normal, it's happening less often though
  • I would say that this is very posssible especially with people that you don't know well. Congratulations on great job!
  • It happened to me not too long ago so YES, it's possible!
  • Yup, definitely possible. It has happened to me!
  • It happened to me once two years out of high school. I'd lost 30-40 pounds and said hi to someone I ran into at the grocery store.

I said her name when I greeted her and she looked at me like I was crazy, and she made it point to let me know she didn't know me at all. I took a deep breath and explained that we used to eat lunch together every day our junior year . . .
  • It has happened to me. I had not seen one of my old co-workers in over a year. He came back to work at the company. We were riding up in the elevator and I said hello and said his name. He gave me this look like how do you know my name. I thought it was funny.
  • The first time it happened I had lost about 40 pounds. And I was at my Aunt and Uncles Anniversery party. I was standing next to their daughter and she was talking to a family friend who I had not seen in a while. I said something to my cousin and went to go back inside, the family friend said Wait and I turned around. And he actually asked who I was . My cousin goes It's Tara dummy. The shocked look on his face was so funny.

So in my experience, people who do not see you that often are the ones that may not recognize you. And I think that in itself is soo awesome lol

Tara
  • I wish! Yesterday the first person outside of my family noticed my weightloss! It only took 80 lbs, and it's probably because of the change of clothes because the sun finally came out!

I think nobody ever realised just how fat I was, I told her I had lost 9 lbs since I last saw her (which is true) and she absolutely believed that was all!
  • Quote: I think nobody ever realised just how fat I was, I told her I had lost 9 lbs since I last saw her (which is true) and she absolutely believed that was all!
    Honestly, I don't think most people have any idea what 9 pounds or even 80 looks like on a person. Had I not been so experienced at dealing with it myself I would have totally guessed I've only lost 20 or so from my old photos instead of 100.
  • Happens to me all the time, especially with parents of my students--people who see me 2-3 times a year and, honestly, never looked that closely at me to begin with (which is fine). I love it. I never tell them who I am. It feels like getting away with something.
  • based on the before and after photos you just posted, yes, absolutely people who don't see you regularly are not recognizing you.
  • Quite possible, I have had it happen to me once that I know of. A coworker that I only see occasionally, but talk to often, told me that she did not know who I was until I spoke to her.