3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Weight still up. Need perspective. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/202920-weight-still-up-need-perspective.html)

ubergirl 05-27-2010 09:25 AM

Weight still up. Need perspective.

Okay chickies.

WHAT is going on with me??? My weight loss was ticking along slowly but steadily and then all of a sudden about ten days ago, I started GAINING. My weight up a pound a day until I was up 5 pounds. Okay, I told myself it was water, I told myself it was bloat. My weight dropped to 206 and I've been sitting there for several days-- thus obliterating my entire loss for the month of May. On April 30th I weighed 206, by May 15th I was down to 203. Now, here I sit at 206.

I can't figure out a single reason that would make me gain. I have scrutinized my food plan, and I've been steadily increasing my exercise... The weight went up basically overnight, but then never dropped back down.

One thing I've noticed is that my water weight/body fat percentages on my Tanita seem out of whack. This morning, my BF percentage was 38% and my ww percentage was 44%. Those number always fluctuate, but usually my water weight percentage is about 40 and my body fat is more like 41%.

I have really worked on drinking water. I don't eat a lot of sodium.

I am truly at a loss.

ncuneo 05-27-2010 09:43 AM

Is TOM on the horizon? That can always raise havoc.

LaurieDawn 05-27-2010 09:43 AM

Maybe it's the increased exercise? Is it just cardio? Or are you doing strength training? Either way, it could lead to water retention, but it's more likely to happen with strength training. Still, that's a long time to retain extra water. Maybe it's just time to adjust your calories down a little bit? Even then, though, you're gaining quite quickly for that. Of course, it could be a combination. The scale is a big, far liar, though, and it can mess with your head. Not a very helpful post. Hope you figure it out, though.

Eliana 05-27-2010 10:19 AM

Gosh, who knows. I gained two pounds last night for no reason. But my husband lost them for me, so I guess we're even. :rolleyes: Given that we ate the same dinner, I too am at a loss. I thought perhaps the pork I ate was loaded with hidden salt, but DH sent that theory out the window.

Who knows why the scale does what it does? You and I lose similarly. How are your clothes fitting these days? Do you have anything really small to try to get into? If you do, try it on today and take mental notes of how well it fits and set a date to try them on again in another two weeks. I find this so motivating. ;)

ETA: For the record, WITH my two pound gain I buttoned and zipped a pair of 10's this morning!! I couldn't do that at two pounds less. So weird.

starfishkitty 05-27-2010 10:22 AM

I'm gonna ask the same thing.... what are you doing exercise wise? You know muscle adds weight at first!

Vladadog 05-27-2010 10:25 AM

Sometimes weight loss just stalls.

I spent most of April dancing around 260. I had all kinds of theories but I just kept on tracking my calories (around 1500, usually a bit less) and eating healthy and now I'm back to about 2 pounds a week. I'm not doing anything different than I was in March or April.

It's very frustrating, especially when you're doing what was working and the scale goes up and you can only blame TOM for so long. It's mysterious and it is unfair.

I try to be philsophical - I bet if I'd been weighing myself every day as I gained all this weight the scale would have been just as mysterious - weight loss days after HUGE binges for example. But I never saw them because, of course, I wasn't paying attention to the scale (or what I was eating). Weight loss is a long term thing and you have to keep the long term in mind every time you get anywhere near the scale.

I hope things twist around in your favor soon!

LotusMama 05-27-2010 10:31 AM

Could it be that you are not getting enough calories with the increased exercise? I have been stalled out for quite awhile and decided to up my calories by 100-150 (I am exercising very regularly at a pretty intense level). I noticed I was really fatigued and was struggling to do workouts that I have done many times without a problem. Raising my calorie level worked--I am finally starting to lose again. Just a thought...

Hang in there!

Cheers,

J

ubergirl 05-27-2010 10:36 AM

Sigh...

I know you guys are right, but really to gain three pounds and hold onto it for two weeks.... it's just depressing.

Really, I feel tiny.... I wore size Large scrubs yesterday-- the XLs were starting to fall off but the Larges were too tight around the belly-- but yesterday, they fit.

I don't have any clothes that are too small, but I actually think I'm going to clothes shop today.... so that will be good.

I HAVE been exercising A LOT.... Running more and faster-- still lifting about twice a week but I've noticed I'm managing heavier weights. So, yeah, probably gaining muscle...

But even so....

Glory87 05-27-2010 10:39 AM

The scale is not the ultimate tool - have you done any body measurements? That can be a truer guide to what's happening.

Are you eating any salty food? I gain FIVE POUNDS the morning after I eat at Chipotle. I love the place, I pick a healthy option, it's just the freaking SALT. I also see scale bobbles after sushi (the soy sauce, I guess).

If the week before my period and a salty meal intersect - I just stay off the scale.

WarMaiden 05-27-2010 11:45 AM

How's your sleep? If you're not getting enough quality/quantity sleep, you may stall out your weight loss, especially with all the extra physical demand you're putting on your body. Your body needs time to rest and repair. (Speaking of which, are you taking rest days frome exercise too?)

PeanutsMom704 05-27-2010 01:36 PM

maybe you need to change the batteries in the scale? Sounds weird that the BF and water percentages would change that much so quickly.

Arctic Mama 05-27-2010 01:45 PM

My first thought was to change those batteries as well!

My second thought I'd that you admit to upping your exercise. When you build and repair muscle tissue it causes severe water retention. If you are consistently building that muscle it will consistently retain water for days on end, even as your metabolism is increased and your fat drops, your lean mass will slowly start to increase if you are lifting continually heavier weights. Try not to despair, but instead just focus on healthy habits.

If there is no reason for a gain then there may truly be NO REASON for that gain. What I mean is that we cannot control the scale, only our behaviors. I know it can be discouraging (I am fighting with the scale daily, knowing I should be losing weight but gaining it instead thanks to a growing baby) but if you are doing all the right things sometimes you need to become a passive observer of the scale. It says what it says, it isn't a verdict against your habits unless they are failing in some area. If you are eating well, sleeping well, and working those muscles, it sounds like the scale is doing its own thing and that is NOT worth the stress!

jennylou 05-28-2010 10:22 AM

What are you eating? When I did WW a few years back, I still had to watch my carbs (what type and make sure that I wasn't overdoing it on them).

Some people (particularly those w/pcos - not saying you have it, just throwing it out there) have to really watch the amount of carbs that they eat ...even good carbs can wreck havoc on them when they eat too many. I'm one of those effected greatly by carbs, so this time, I went Primal for my diet.

Loving Me 05-28-2010 11:25 AM

I'm so sorry you're feeling like this Uber :hug::hug::hug:
I don't have any fabulous words of wisdom or advice I'm afraid, I wish I could pinpoint something to help, but I just wanted you to know that I know just how you feel.
We have both come so far and have worked so hard to get to this point, and for the scale to suddenly take on a mind of it's own is :?: and :mad:
The only thing that I can say is that we both also know that we just have to keep trying and hope that our bodies co-operate soon. The alternative is just too awful to even contemplate....