Old 05-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #61  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I sometimes look into other people's carts. I am always shocked at the amount of junk food. Although, sometimes I am surprised when I see other shoppers buying healthy or organic food.

I'm a bit self conscious when it comes to my shopping cart. I saw a picture of an obese person buying a LOT of healthy stuff. The picture was posted on a site that teases walmart customers. Anyway, there were some awful comments about how obese the person was compared to their choice of groceries. So now I am self conscious because I am over weight and buying healthy foods. People are probably thinking, "Why even bother? It doesn't seem to be helping."
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #62  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
I don't look in other carts unless I'm in line waiting. In which case I look at what is on the conveyor belt in front of me.

I do this too. But I don't look in other people's carts because I shop so fast I don't have time to. I stick to my list and I don't impulse buy.

My record for speedy shopping is 57 minutes car to car. (I bought four items and used the self-serve register.)
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniChick View Post
Oh, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I do agree with what you're saying though. Honestly, if I was in a situation where I had a dollar to spend for food I probably wouldn't pick either the fast food burger or just veggies/fruit. I would most likely buy a bag of beans, which you can get for under a dollar, and then with what money was left I would then buy the cheapest vegetable or fruit. Beans expand considerably when cooked, so can go further, are very nutritious, and have a good amount of fiber. And, as crazy as it may sound, in order to include fat in my diet, I would go to the meat counter and ask if there are any fat scraps that I could have for free. As long as scraps are not saleable, they don't mind handing them off. I remember when we used to get bones from them for free, which makes a very good and nutritious broth. Maybe for some it's just a matter of needing to think outside the box. All I know is that for myself, nutrition is VERY important so my mind would automatically start thinking outside the box and figuring out ways that I could aquire (legally, of course) more nutritious options.
And I think the beans and meat would be a great option. That is learned information that a lot of people could really use. Unfortunately, many of us are very far removed from cooking. And, as a good friend pointed out to me, some people live in housing situations where they do not have a standard kitchen. That is also a major issue in some areas---some may only have a microwave or a hot plate.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #64  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I do agree with what you're saying though. Honestly, if I was in a situation where I had a dollar to spend for food I probably wouldn't pick either the fast food burger or just veggies/fruit. I would most likely buy a bag of beans, which you can get for under a dollar, and then with what money was left I would then buy the cheapest vegetable or fruit. ...
BINGO! This is so right on. Some people just don't want to get the good for you stuff, and so they use the excuse that they can't afford it...but that is just another excuse. (I was the QUEEN of excuses when I was morbidly obese!) If I were on a very tight budget, and fresh foods were not available, I could find a bag of beans or a dozen eggs on sale for a dollar at any given time here. But some people look at the 3 boxes of mac & cheese for a buck and think it will go further for the same price...(BUT with the mac & cheese you also need milk and butter, so there is extra cash.) All you need to cook an egg or beans is water and some heat. Heck, 1 whole egg has 100% RDA of about 10 vitamins and minerals. IMO the main reason people (rich or poor) pick the unhealtheir options are because they are junkfood addicts and want to blame something...anything for their bad eating habits. I say this only because I have BEEN there, done that.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

I never looked in other peoples grocery carts before I saw this thread XD. I do worry about what people think when they look into my grocery cart though. I stopped at the store with my mom to pick up some fresh vegetables, and I was so proud of how healthy healthy my basket looked. Unfortunately my mom decided that she wanted to pick up two cartons of cookie dough ice cream, and two bags of chips, and decided to put them in my basket. That hurt my shopping cart pride XD.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
All you need to cook an egg or beans is water and some heat. Heck, 1 whole egg has 100% RDA of about 10 vitamins and minerals.
I'm confused. I know FitDay, for example, doesn't list all vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't show an egg having any more than 23% of the RDA for *anything.*
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 185/120; 147/156/120

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliondollarbbw View Post
And I think the beans and meat would be a great option. That is learned information that a lot of people could really use. Unfortunately, many of us are very far removed from cooking.
I guess that's the time to learn a new skill.

Quote:
And, as a good friend pointed out to me, some people live in housing situations where they do not have a standard kitchen. That is also a major issue in some areas---some may only have a microwave or a hot plate.
There are always exceptions, but I am talking about the "typical" low income family who has to stretch a dollar. I would assume that the extreme example you are giving is what tax dollar supported soup kitchens and WIC, etc. are for.

This conversation makes me think of a quote that I recently read (I think from 3FC) that I saved because it is so true. Within this quote, the answer to freeing ourselves from our own limitations and excuses that we put on ourselves is revealed, barring the exceptions, of course.

"If you want it, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse."
MiniChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 440/193/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyboy View Post
I don't look in other carts unless I'm in line waiting. In which case I look at what is on the conveyor belt in front of me.
I have never looked in others carts. But used to feel very self-conscious in a grocery store for the way I thought I was judged. However, funny story from this evening... Was at the grocery store, had my stuff on the conveyor belt, as did the couple behind me. There was a delay with the woman ahead of me, I was just deep in thought, not really paying attention to much, although noticed the couple behind me pointing to my stuff. When I looked at them, the guy said, "Sorry, not to be nosey but my wife and I are trying to figure out what you're making. I think it's some kind of veggie lasagna, but my wife said there's no pasta!" I had different veggies- spinach, kale, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, and canned tomatoes, light parmesan, cottage cheese, etc. He said, "It must be something healthy and something Italian for sure!" I did not know what to say... just thinking about if people are looking at my stuff now and wondering what I may be making, I can only imagine what they would have been thinking with the junk food, processed foods, etc that would have been there before, especially with my size before.

Last edited by joannie; 06-01-2010 at 01:27 AM.
joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 18/16/12 (AU dress sizes)

Height: 165cm (5'5")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asherdoodles87 View Post

I'm a bit self conscious when it comes to my shopping cart. I saw a picture of an obese person buying a LOT of healthy stuff. The picture was posted on a site that teases walmart customers. Anyway, there were some awful comments about how obese the person was compared to their choice of groceries. So now I am self conscious because I am over weight and buying healthy foods. People are probably thinking, "Why even bother? It doesn't seem to be helping."
If someone looked into my supermarket trolley and thought "what's that fat chick buying veges for, it's not working" I'd think they were pretty silly For one thing even if you're "overweight" or "obese", healthy food is still healthy, even if you don't factor weight loss in! And secondly I'm reminded of a comment I once read which was written about exercising in public when fat. And that was, "anyone that criticizes a fat person for actively trying to lose weight is a moron". It was just a random comment from someone online - I think it was a news article about government subsidies for weight loss programs or something - but it really made me feel much better about doing something about weight loss. It's such common sense - if you're going to tease a fat person for being fat, why on earth would you then tease them for doing something about it?!?!

I'd rather be fat now but doing something about it, than one of those "naturally skinny" people who has a trolley loaded with processed and junk foods. There is a pretty good chance they'll either end up fat themselves one day or unhealthy despite their size. At least I'm doing something proactive right now! - and that is all anyone can do...
GoldenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Quote:
I guess that's the time to learn a new skill.

There are always exceptions, but I am talking about the "typical" low income family who has to stretch a dollar. I would assume that the extreme example you are giving is what tax dollar supported soup kitchens and WIC, etc. are for.

This conversation makes me think of a quote that I recently read (I think from 3FC) that I saved because it is so true. Within this quote, the answer to freeing ourselves from our own limitations and excuses that we put on ourselves is revealed, barring the exceptions, of course.

"If you want it, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse."
I just think that there is a fine line---we often view our worlds only in terms of our own experiences---if we are food addicts, we normally assume others with food issues are the same. If we know how to cook a certain way, we assume others can do the same. I just feel, that having "been there, done that", I am sure people could have looked at my dinner made from a dollar (seriously), and exclaimed that I could have bought an apple or beans. But, I bought a sausage or meat and a bread roll instead. I just don't want to jump on that bandwagon of blaming people for what we think they should know or how we think they should eat, etc. I would rather have compassion and information, rather than apathy and disdain.

I feel this way probably because I have been in the situation where I am sure some other person looked at what was in my cart, as a kid, and made a whole bunch of assumptions.

Pity may not be good, but I do feel sad for those families that are stuck in the cycle of junk food and processed food and haven't taken the time or initiative to try and cook food....maybe even the food they grew up on. I am learning so much more about food now than I ever knew, and I am very grateful that I live in a place that allows me to be more adventurous food wise.

To be honest, it would probably be best for me to scrutinize my own shopping cart rather than anyone else's, considering my current weightloss.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #71  
is determined!

S/C/G: 208/194.5/130

I'm a cart spy too. But then I'm one of those that probably confuses people. I've always shopped healthfully. I am the only over-weight person in my family, but I didn't get this way with our usual groceries. It was the reeses peanut butter cups I'd pick up here and there, the bag of chips I'd grab at work and snack on at my desk, the fast food I'd have for lunch with co-workers. My cart has always, for the most part, been filled to the brim with fruits, veggies, whole wheat and very little processed stuff.

I will admit families with fat kids are my biggest pet peeve inside the grocery store and otherwise. And if their carts are filled with junk I just want to pull them aside, take the parents by the shoulders and shake them. It's one thing to make yourself fat -- I've been there, am there, I know! -- but it's an entirely different thing to subject your children to such atrocities. They're innocent kids at the mercy of their parents and this is what the parents give them? Grrr!

Of course this weekend, I'm sure I would have been a sight for the 3FC cart spies to see. On Sunday we got caught unprepared for the first of summer's impromptu get togethers at a friend's house and so on Monday I went to the grocery store and "stocked up" on the special occasion summer stuff. Two cases of beer, some soda, a few bags of chips, some pretzels, crackers, s'more ingredients, and a couple cases of juice boxes later... I'm sure people were not impressed with my shopping ability. What they couldn't see, of course, is that all of the above got packed up as soon as we got home and will only be taken out at the next special occasion. Or than along with the junk food I also pack lunch meats, string cheeses, apples, grapes, veggie sticks, water, a healthier version of potato salad, etc. Or that all that beer is not just for us, we share with friends, too. And it'll still last quite some time. I just have deeply rooted issues with showing up at parties without my fair share, no matter how close the friends are so when summer rolls around and those parties are relatively frequent I have a habit of stocking up.
evoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #72  

Height: 5'1"

Not really, I don't look... but I've caught people looking at mine. Which is a bit annoying because at times I'll be carrying my feminine necessities and well, it's embarassing when people look and see that as the first thing.

Which is why I go very early in the morning or late at night.
Fae10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #73  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

i can't even imagine what people must think of mine...i've got a side business baking, so my cart might have a crapload of organic veggies and fruit, egg whites, salmon, brown rice, beans etc., 8 pounds of butter, a big carton (or two) of heavy whipping cream, big bags of sugar, a couple of bags of chocolate chips. it's probably less weird when i get baking ingredients at sams...
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 278/257/165

Height: 5' 8"

This thread is interesting, funny and illuminating!

I must say, as a senior citizen on a fixed income, and one who qualifies for food stamps, that I judge MYSELF on what I buy.

90% of the time, when I have bought junk food, I will use my own cash instead of food stamps, reasoning that the food stamps are meant for healthy food, not junk food and they come out of taxpayers contributions.

I do notice what others purchase and feel sad when a cart is loaded with mostly junk food.

MissNibs
MissNibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #75  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I'm confused. I know FitDay, for example, doesn't list all vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't show an egg having any more than 23% of the RDA for *anything.*
Oh, Thank you Julie for taking the time to research my post, you really do deserve a lot of credit for your dedication. My bad. The YOLK has anywhere from 90 to 100% of around 15 vitamin and minerals compared to the whole egg. Not RDA, but as percentage of nutrients in the yolk vs. the white. I'm so sorry to mislead any person with a dollar to spend on groceries. I unfortunately was remembering YOLK information from the great egg debate awhile back.

I really hope no one ran out and bought a carton of eggs instead of a McDonalds cheeseburger with their last dollar. Sorry.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-01-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote