3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   "So I noticed...." (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/202155-so-i-noticed.html)

starfishkitty 05-18-2010 09:38 AM

"So I noticed...."

In the past two weeks, though I really haven't been losing weight in leaps and bounds anymore like I used to, I've been getting a lot of really weird compliments and questions.

Literally three times in two weeks, two strangers and one friend (who I see like once a year) have asked me if I've been sick. When I ask them why, they say that I've lost so much weight something must be wrong with me. :lol:

Ohhhh-KAY.

Guess it's not normal for anyone to just... you know... get healthy? You have to have some rabid, body wasting disease, right? :rofl: And, when I tell them the truth (I eat healthier), they all gave me the most skeptical looks EVER.

Anyone else get this, or something similar?

bargoo 05-18-2010 09:58 AM

Yes, I have heard some of the same comments. People who never diet or never have the need to, just don't get it and figure there must be something wrong. Don't let it bother you, they don't know any better.

Eliana 05-18-2010 10:09 AM

No. :rofl: But I understand. I like the "Wow, you've lost so much weight" comments a whole lot better!

That is weird. But you're not the first person I've heard have this issue. Apparently there are a lot of strange people around...they just don't live near me. :D

ubergirl 05-18-2010 11:00 AM

I've gotten the "are you sick" question before...

But, here's the thing, I DID compliment someone I hadn't seen in a while for losing so much weight, and it turned out she had had breast cancer....ouch.

So, there is a logic to the question, I guess.

The one that really gets to me, is that I'm convinced that a lot of people where I work are convinced I had WLS and am lying about it....

Eliana 05-18-2010 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubergirl (Post 3296616)
But, here's the thing, I DID compliment someone I hadn't seen in a while for losing so much weight, and it turned out she had had breast cancer....ouch.

I have been asked "Are these happy pounds?" I guess that's a way around something like that situation. Because yes, unfortunately not all weight losses are happy ones.

TaraLee 05-18-2010 12:09 PM

That really is funny :lol:

rockinrobin 05-18-2010 12:43 PM

YEs, I've had this.

I had someone tell me how good I looked, and then she got kinda quiet and came closer to me and said something like, "you did WANT to lose the weight, right? I mean, you're okay, aren't you?" And I said, "never been better!".

And I had quite a few others inquire about my health as well.

I have a very good friend and we have a mutual friend/acquaintance and this man asked my friend NUMEROUS times if I've had WLS. She told him no. Told him no again and every time that he asked her. He finally believed her, but then went on to tell her that well, maybe she didn't have WLS, but she must have had liposuction. Oy. As if you could possibly liposuction away 165 lbs. If only!!

Some people really can't fathom losing such a large amount of weight.

Arctic Mama 05-18-2010 03:45 PM

Awe, I'm sorry they didn't frame the comments a little more nicely! I just take any weight-related comment as a compliment and go on my merry way - I'm happier if I just assume any noticing of the loss is a GOOD thing :lol:

lovemyboy 05-18-2010 05:13 PM

I had a co-worker say to me today that they noticed I was getting smaller but didn't want to say anything in case I was sick. Once I explained that I was just eating healthier she was relieved to know that I wasn't sick and said I looked nice. I think most people mean well but there are a lot of potential minefields with mentioning a person's weight. Even something well meaning like, "you look great! Keep it up!" could be taken as an implication of needing more work or backhanded or whatnot. I figure if they are mentioning it, they mean well. It's the ones who try and feed me or act weird towards me that get on my nerves.

cfmama 05-18-2010 05:48 PM

I've been asked if I have cancer and if I've had weight loss surgery. It's fun isn't it ;) lol!

Shmead 05-18-2010 06:26 PM

I wouldn't mind that people assume I had WLS except that The Most Unpleasant Woman in the World works with me and she had weight loss surgery (didn't work) and I don't want to be categorized with her in any way.

TJFitnessDiva 05-18-2010 09:55 PM

Yeap...I've been told the reason I've lost weight was WLS and I've been asked by others if I was seriously I'll :P