Old 05-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #1  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Default Binging at night...

Im really REALLY struggling with this lately.
I would be losing so much weight if I could just cut out these midnight snacks. I do great all day with my calories and I get in really good workouts but I just cancel out all my hard work when binge late at night.

When I first started my journey it wasn't a problem. I had a set amount of calories to eat a day and when those were gone then I didn't allow anything else but now I can't control it.

Thankfully, we don't have junk in the house so my binges are mostly of healthy/low calorie foods but it still adds up. I've gotten rid of trigger foods, like peanut butter and jello pudding cups, but even with those gone it doesn't make a difference...I just eat whatever is there.

Anyone struggle with this or have any advice to stop the madness?

Thanks everyone!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #2  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Do you still eat sugar, white flour, and other refined/processed foods? Even when you are "calorie controlling" such items, they can easily lead to binges. Try eliminating all of that for at least three days and see what happens.

Are you getting enough sleep? Not getting enough quality and quantity of sleep can set you up for extra hunger and bingeing.

Are you trying to "save up" calories throughout the day, therefore setting up a binge because you're simply hungry? Try eating more, earlier. Don't try to "be good" with your calories and restrict yourself into a binge.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #3  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

I struggle with midnight snacking too but I think a lot of the times for me its because i'm bored. I should be sleeping. I try to make myself a cup of hot tea or keep my hands busy with knitting or do some reading. Sorry, maybe not that helpful..but something to keep you occupied or distracted may help!
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #4  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Is it eating for emotional/ bored reasons or are you really hungry? It is hard to really recognize sometimes what is hunger verses what is just wanting to eat. If it is really hunger (stomach growling hunger) then you need to really look at what types of foods you are eating throughout the day and the times that you are eating them.

Some people recommend eating smaller meals throughout the day (this doesn't work for me, but does for lots of people). Also, for me, making sure I get some protein and high fiber/ filling foods seems to really prevent the actual hunger feelings.

If it is more emotional/ bored eating, there are several things you can try. Figure out first whether there is a specific trigger for it. Is it because you like to feel full before going to sleep? Is it when you particularly have a stressful day? etc.

Drinking a big glass of water or somehow distracting yourself with something else can help. Reading a book, watching a movie, going outside and watching the stars, etc. etc.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 177.6/163/145

Height: 5'8''

hey VernDern! I have the exact same problem! is there anyway that you (like me) are subconsciously sabotaging yourself? i know that that's my issued but i still haven't come into touch with the reason why. i'm just used to selling myself short i guess... well cheers to making changes!
hope you figure this out sooner than later, good luck on your journy!
Aubrey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You just must put your foot down!!!! You've got to find the adult in you and tell yourself to cut it the heck out. Keep yourself busy, plan some activities, drink some hot tea, go to bed early - get through it one night at a time. Use lots of self talk, reward yourself with a new piece of jewelery, a new lipstick - something. Whatever you've got to do, to essentially break this bad HABIT. Because that's what it sound like to me, a habit that you've gotten into - and rest assured you CAN get out of it. One day at a time. Work past the discomfort. Don't give into it. You CAN do this. You CAN break the cycle. And faster than you think. Make it your job, your mission. Push yourself and push yourself. You will be relieved and elated when you do.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #7  
~Veronica~

I feel like Im just making excuses...Im doing everything I can right. I count calories on livestrong and aim to keep my sugars, carbs, proteins, etc under the numbers the site gives me. I eat really well all day...I get the most out of my calories and usually Im pretty satisfied all day. Im usually not even hungry when my binges start so I just need to stay out of the kitchen and get strong again. Its just so hard especially when I become so weak at night. I wake up the next day and feel bloated, fat, and dissapointed. I just have to end this cycle. *sighs* Easier said than done. Im going to start having tea ready at night though and make sure to limit my trips to the kitchen. It may be really corny and my boyfriend will probably think Im crazy but I think Im putting signs up to remind me not to eat too!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

VernDern-- I never realized how much of my bingeing was based on habit....

Here are two things that worked for me:

1. change up the routine-- promise yourself you'll stick to it like glue for a certain length of time, like a week. That means force yourself to do something specific and concrete outside the kitchen during the time you would be bingeing.... if it's paired with an activity, like TV or the computer, then don't do the activity either. Find something else to do.

2. PLAN a treat that you really like to eat after dinner at a specified time.
I was a breakfast binger in the past, to help me stop, I picked a breakfast I look forward to and eat it EVERY SINGLE MORNING. Also, I am a night exerciser, but I eat a chocolate jello mousse (60cals) when I get home. I look forward to it, and it keeps my mind off looking around to find something to eat, which could lead to poor choices.

Hope this helps.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #9  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Rockinrobin...that is exactly what I needed to hear myself! It has been a rough week emotionally and I needed a good reality check! You delivered...I'm so glad I read this post, thanks Veronica for starting the thread.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #10  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't really have anything else to add that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say that I understand where you're coming from. Nighttime snacking has traditionally been my weak area as well - once in a very blue moon I have a night where my hunger can't be satisfied and when that happens, I try to eat healthy options (if it's really hunger) or just flat out ignore those cravings (if I know they are not actual hunger feelings, just emotional) and by the next night, those feelings have passed or don't occur.

I do factor in a snack of some sort for after supper and that helps a lot. My only rules are that I can only choose one thing and it can't be outside my calorie range for the day.

Good luck, stay strong and know you ultimately have control over this situation!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

What works for me:

I always had a rule: no eating after dinner unless I was truly HUNGRY. So, immediately after dinner, I go brush and floss my teeth and use mouthwash.

If I am HUNGRY I had 3 snacks I could choose from: hot tea, 7 almonds, or a string cheese. Period.

And if I thought I needed to binge, I'd:
a) make myself scrub a toilet first, and
b) make myself eat whatever I was eating in front of a mirror.

Works pretty well.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #12  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Oh, I know how you feel and on a weirder, harder to avoid level I think. I don't binge when I go to sleep... I literally wake up in the middle of sleeping, zombie walk to the bathroom and then just have to shove something in my mouth half asleep. By time my conscience and guilt kick in, I'm already falling asleep with said no-no item in my stomach.

This is the reason why I a) try to keep very few unhealthy snacks in my house (it's impossible to keep none, I have a 19 year old brother who's healthy as a fiddle and an 80 year old grandmother with a sweet tooth... wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't bring them ANY treats darn it) and b) why I take melatonin vitamin supplements to sleep better during the day since I work midnights and I tend to wake easier when I'm day sleeping. *sigh*

It sucks. Bad.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #13  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Vern, you're definitely not alone.

What works best for me is finding something that totally engrosses me. It's usually a good book, because when I read I tend to tune everything else out. It's less passive for me than watching tv, and silly as it sounds the page turning keeps my hands busy. It's hard to eat something laying on the couch with a book in front of my face

Great suggestions here. Good luck!

Last edited by gloo; 05-21-2010 at 12:44 AM.
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

What works for me:

I always had a rule: no eating after dinner unless I was truly HUNGRY. So, immediately after dinner, I go brush and floss my teeth and use mouthwash.

If I am HUNGRY I had 3 snacks I could choose from: hot tea, 7 almonds, or a string cheese. Period.

And if I thought I needed to binge, I'd:
a) make myself scrub a toilet first, and
b) make myself eat whatever I was eating in front of a mirror.

Works pretty well.

Great advice! I brush my teeth and floss right after dinner also now... I only give in to the temptations like 3 out of 4 days a week so far - big improvement and only 1 of those days are really bad. baby steps.
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #15  
~Veronica~

OMG, thank yall so much for the great advice!
Im going to start trying to find something else to do at night to distract me and make some corny crazy notes to myself. I'll start brushing my teeth too...that'll probably help alot! IF I am truly hungry I'll have 2 healthy and low calorie snacks that I can choose from instead of going in the kitchen blind.

We'll see how it goes! Good luck to all! It's so comforting to know we arn't alone in our struggles! Thanks everyone!

I wanted to add that I did really good last night too...I distracted myself with the gym and just stayed strong. One night at a time!

Last edited by VernDern; 05-20-2010 at 03:41 PM.