Pedometer/Stepping/Walking in Place Question

• I recently purchased a new pedometer. To begin with, you do the stride bit plus enter your weight. It measures steps, aerobic steps, calories burned and miles. Here's my question -

I do 5 days of HIIT for 30 minutes and I won't be changing that. I am considering using the pedometer to monitor my "activities" and I am wondering if I step/walk in place while watching a TV show until the pedometer is at 1 mile and I do this several times throughout the course of a day (up to, oh let's say 4 miles), can I consider the pedometer to be fairly accurate at tracking this as activity or no?
  • I'm using a GWF, so a little bit different from a standard pedometer. But I have found that I need to have forward motion for it to accurately count steps. Stepping in place is sort of hit or miss on what it counts. I've been using a step platform rather than just stepping in place and that seems to register better.
  • I found my omron was accurate when I was doing Leslie Sansone DVDs, as they have a more sophisticated motion sensor than most. As long as I wasn't adding in any funky bouncing to my steps and just marched and did her four basic steps, it was fine.
  • I have an Omron too. Thanks for the replies ladies
  • I do stepping in place a lot when I don't have time for anything else (which happens too often these days). I am using a body bugg, it seems to count accurately, but make sure you put some arm swinging motion in it to make it closer to a normal walk. I keep some light weights in my hands while doing this, it reminds me to keep my arms moving too and I end up with a better calorie burn. Sometimes I will get the larger weights and do some arm strength training while I step. It's actually a decent workout - last night I was at 9.2 calories burned per minute and that's without the weights since I have a splint on one arm right now.

Congrats on the new gadget - I love gadgets, especially the ones that help the skinny me find her way out of the fluff.
  • Thanks for the advice!