Old 04-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #1  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

Red face Glee

Did anyone see tonight's Glee? I realize it's a show, but I wonder if it's easier to be fat in high school than it was 20 years ago when it was a nightmare for me.
Not that I think high school is one giant support group, but still.. I bet you can find a plus-size prom dress now.
Anyway.. what did you think?
toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #2  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I weighed over 200 all throughout high school and I honestly never got picked on. I think I probably just got lucky though...
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

I was overweight (probably the biggest) in high school but I didn't get picked on. I had popular friends, and was popular by association. I also carried myself well. Oh and I was able to find amazing prom dresses (in plus size)!

There was another girl (around my size) who got picked on relentlessly. The things other kids said and did to her was horrible. I still don't know why it was her and not me who got picked on but I don't think weight is the only reason why.
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #4  
gettin' skinny

I was plump by any standard, but not really heavy like I am now. I was not picked on, had lots of friends, and was even nominated for Prom Queen - which was mortifying for me. I did find a reasonable dress, but I had to have been at least 40 pounds heavier than everyone else. It was bad! I was so stinking self-conscience even back then!!!

I think today heavy girls are teased the same amount as back in the day. It really depends on so many factors, i.e. the character of the girl/classmates, how she defends herself, and the environment. I went to school with many of the same kids from kindergarten on. I had lots of time to win them over. =)

I do think it is awesome that there are more dress choices for bigger women these days and I loved the GLEE episode tonight. I like that character and how she owns her body. It is nice to see her dancing and singing right along with everyone else.
sillygirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 346/308/199

Height: 5'10"

Default Heavy in high school

I was heavy all through high school and was never openly given trouble for my weight, but on the other hand, I did not have as many dates as most of my friends.
Cherry in STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I was heavy all through school (graduated in '82). It was murder during elementary school... and looking back, actually, middle school and high school weren't that bad really... but in my adolescent mind, everyone was always poking fun at me so it seemed horrible.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I was heavy through my whole life. I was picked on mercilessly. Around the first month in high school, I was across the room from my stuff and saw a popular boy screwing with my stuff. All those years of taunting boiled up inside me and I flipped out. I screamed at him and threatened him. After that, I didn't have many people making fun of me to my face anymore. It wasn't the smartest thing but it felt so good to be stand up for myself.

Even if I wasn't fat, I would have still been made fun of because my personality is so offbeat.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #8  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I was heavy in high school and picked on a little bit. I was more teased and bullied in middle school though. I think by high school most students learn to leave the bigger kids alone. I think most of the teasing occurs in younger kids.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #9  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

I have been big all my life and got picked on relentlessly too :S
worst was elementary and middle school when all I could do was cry. In high school it got better cause I started using sarcasm as a defense mechanism and I haven't been able to shake it off ever since ^^; it was a lil too late though, I can't shake the feeling of the world still rejecting me. Sucks, I know...
fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I was overweight/low end obese in high school and I never got picked on. I even got asked out a few times, but was too shy and self concious to actually accept.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I was heavy in HS, but never picked on. Maybe it's a Canadian thing? not sure! I was always really funny so maybe that's why I wasn't bugged??? I had a big group of friends and always got asked out on dates, so I loved high school !!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/196.0/175(UGW 125)

Height: 5'3.5"

I was heavy for parts of high school (I graduated in 2000). I had trouble finding a flattering prom dress (I was probably about 40-50 lbs overweight at the time) but that was probably because I either didn't know about good plus size shops or just refused to shop plus size. Also, definitely recall being picked on (especially middle school), but a lot of that was because I was a nerd. In my experience, it was worse to be a nerd in public school than to be overweight. Who knows. Also, I can't imagine some of the recent fashions (skinny jeans, leggings, low rise jeans in particular) are flattering to bigger girls. I was fortunate enough to be in high school during those periods in which relatively high waisted, wider leg jeans were popular.
j0ndysse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #13  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I wish not being picked on in school was a Canadian thing! I was big all my life, and like what others had to go through here, it was relentless...I remember it starting in grade 3 and ending the day I graduated high school. It was a daily thing...the only respite I got was during Summer and holidays. In high school, though, like Fra, I developed a sarcastic humour, so I was able to give it back as good as I got it. That didn't stop the tormenting though, and I haven't been able to shake the sarcasm, although I'm not as bad as I used to be! It took me many years to get over, and I've always thought, if I ever get into the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) someday, I'd like to work with youth to reduce, if not completely eradicate (I don't know if that's possible) bullying. I have held part-time jobs in recent years, working with a lot of teenagers, who seem to feel comfortable with me and open up to me, so I have that rapport. I find it odd that I get along better with teenagers now than I did when I was a teenager myself more than twenty years ago!

Last edited by Ookpik; 04-29-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 AM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just recently looked through my high school yearbook. I was the heaviest girl in my senior class...not by a little. It was not easy for me. I was involved in musical theater, and I was so sad that I was so heavy, because I was always the mother or the grandmother, never the pretty female love interest/lead. Of course, that also had to do with my vocal range (low alto), but I always attributed it to my weight.

I had some experiences straight out of Mean Girls in high school...got knocked into in the hall so I dropped my books, etc.

I'm mostly over it now. But that didn't stop me from hanging a sign up in front of my incline trainer. It reads "High School Reunion - You Can Do It!"
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #15  
gettin' skinny

Quote:
I'm mostly over it now. But that didn't stop me from hanging a sign up in front of my incline trainer. It reads "High School Reunion - You Can Do It!"

Love that mandalinn82! You go!

Last edited by sillygirl10; 04-29-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: made a mistake
sillygirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote