Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 09:46 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default What new foods have you discovered?

Being on this diet has introduced me to some new foods. Yes, we all know about skinny cows but what else have you tried that you just love?

me?

laughing cow cheese

egg whites with red peppers and onion (a staple for breakfast)

natural ovens breads

boca burgers

lots of different salads.. I add hot chicken strips to mine.. wonderful!

necterines - they are so good right now! soooo sweet

chicken tortillas on my george foreman grill - wonderful!

ICNBINB - 5 cal per serving - I use this cooking - I am 98% off butter

diet rootbeer - no caffine - didn't know that

What other foods have you discovered? I love trying new foods now

Dana
Old 06-21-2002, 09:58 AM   #2  
Meow!

Question New foods..skinny cows?

What on earth is skinny cows? LOL
Am I just being dense? OR Canadian? LOL

My favorite new food is:

President's Choice Too Good To Be True Ancient Grains Vegetable Patties....

Low Fat, High Fibre, burger alternative with beans, grains, rice, corn and mexican spices. Not great for a carbo-limited diet, but great for vegetarians and much better than a huge double bacon cheeseburger.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:16 AM   #3  

Still haven't tried the Skinny Cows. I must, everyone talks about them.

laughing cow cheese???????

I haven't really tried anything new. I have found a WONDERFUL diet ice tea that I love. I stay away from all that, but for those times where water just won't cut it. Nestea Diet Ice Tea is a godsend.

Old 06-21-2002, 10:27 AM   #4  

I've rediscovered the produce section at the supermarket - I actually like celery!

And the rumors are true - you really can cook with that Splenda sugar substitute - my diabetic hubby and I nearly broke out in song over that one.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:01 AM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

cool.. a fellow canuck I am orginally from Toronto.. (went to highschool in Oshawa) - now living in Wisconsin
Skinny cows are these amazing ice-cream sandwiches and sundaes. If you are on ww they are either 2 or 3 points.. very large and tasty..

http://www.skinnycow.com/

Laughing cow cheese is this spreadable wonderful cheese.. I get the light version.. only 30 calories. I spread it on celery (yes, I re-discovered celery too!) I also spread it on toast like I would butter. One piece would spread on two slices of toast.

http://www.thelaughingcow.co.uk/html/index.htm
it's a bit pricey.. $3.69 for eight pieces. You can find it where they sell those fancy cheeses.

Dana
Old 06-21-2002, 11:17 AM   #6  

Being that I'm on the low carb plan, my fav. dinner is this:

I make a spaghetti sauce with hamburger (low fat stuff)
I then bake a spaghetti squash.
When done I put the sauce over the spaghetti squash and it tasts almost like the real thing. Very little carbs, lots of prot. And very filling!!

For thoes of you who are on a low fat plan, you can make the sauce with any kind of meat or with none at all. It's very low fat as well.

I know sounds weird, but try it, it's great.

Bella23
Old 06-21-2002, 03:55 PM   #7  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

here's another:

herbal teas!

no calories - no caffine

right now I am drinking "perfect peach"
Old 06-21-2002, 11:17 PM   #8  
JML
Success Story!!!

1. Herbal teas, definitely.

2. Strawberries, blueberries, cherries, grapes, watermelon, other melons. Sweet at candy.

3. Tuna fish - very very light on the mayo. I like to make an open-faced sandwich of an english muffin and tuna fish topped with tomato slices, sometimes with cheese on top.

4. Pickles. Practically no calories, stretches a meal, adds zest.

5. Salad. Lots of nutrients, tasty, bulky, stretches a meal. Add meat or egg, and you've got a whole meal.

6. Fruits. Apples, peaches, bananas, etc. Fruits are nature's fast food as they don't really need to be refrigerated, come in their own stay-fresh packaging, and are easy to throw in a bag and run. When I'm on the run, I'll grab one to bring with me to tide me over if it's a long time between meals or to make a meal a little bigger.

7. Lean turkey lunch meat. Makes a great sandwich, filling, low-cal at 70 calories for 2 slices, low-fat, and easy to throw between 2 slices of bread with some mustard and lettuce if I need to take a meal with me.

8. Flavored seltzer water. I love this stuff. It's just carbonated water with a little lemon zest or lime zest or berry zest thrown in. There's no sugar, no sugar substitute. It's just water with a bit of natural flavor. 0 calories, and a nice variation from the usual flat water. I drink this instead of soda. Now I don't really like soda. I like the flavored seltzer water better.

Jeanne
250/201/145
Old 06-22-2002, 05:45 AM   #9  
hot mom wanna be!

Default fruit!!

Isnt that crazy that a vegetarian has to say she "discovered" fruit??

I actually used to be more of a "junkfoodtarian" if you know what I mean!! Now its tons of fruits and veggies. I eat a salad every night with lots of veggies and eat fruits as treats with some low fat coolwhip.

lorelei
Old 06-22-2002, 09:28 AM   #10  
Old Cackler

deviled eggs have saved my life. more mustard than mayo [LOTS more mustard], some pickle relish or hot chili sauce. mmmmmmmm

and wyler's sugar free lemonade powder. it's cheaper than crystal light, and an 8 oz serving has 100% of the RDA for vit c.

comes in pink and regular. very nice treat.

Last edited by jiffypop; 06-22-2002 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #11  

Ok, I thought of another one of my favs.

Coolaid made with splenda

It's cheep, refreshing, and has nothing in it.

Bella23
Old 06-22-2002, 02:11 PM   #12  

Marinades! They sure pick up a bland boneless, skinless chicken breast!

Oven-roasted or fire-grilled veggies of EVERY size, description, color, etc., etc., etc. Marinated, herbed, salted, un-salted etc., etc., etc. Chopped, sliced...well!...you get my drift!

I'll be back later...I know there are more! (Have I ever mentioned that I love to eat?)
Old 06-23-2002, 10:46 AM   #13  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Gayle..
what kind of marinades do you use?
do you use them on your veggies too? I love onions and red peppers!!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:44 AM   #14  

I thought I'd bump up slimdown's old thread, as hubby and I tried some new spicy turkey sausages last night that were fabulous! Made by Perdue, a side of red beans and rice and they're really a nice treat. Their turkey burgers are pretty good, too - not quite as healthy as a veggie burger, but a good compromise for the carnivorous hubby.

Oh, and a tablespoon of Cool Whip Lite on fresh fruit is like heaven these days. I like the lite instead of the "free", because it's only 10 more calories a serving, but less than half the sodium.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:21 AM   #15  

Wow I just found this thread and it made me think of some things that I think I had forgotten that I liked... such as herbal teas and celery.

I also wanted to add that Mount Olive now makes "Sugar Free Bread and Butter Pickles" and ooooo they are so good.
Closed Thread