Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #1  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Why just egg whites, and not the whole egg?

Just sayin'. I think eggs are perfectly healthy and I don't see why people always make things with just egg whites. I mean, I could see if you were eating more than 1-2 eggs a day, but even your body needs cholesterol. It seems like the cholesterol found in eggs is a lot better than the cholesterol you might find in processed foods.

Last edited by rakel; 04-10-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Well for me... it comes down to calories. I take no issue with egg yolks and eat plenty of them but when I make omeletes I get more food for my calorie buck if I pull a few of the yolks out .
Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #3  
is recommitted

Ah that makes sense. So say you make an omelette with 3 eggs, you might only use 1 yoke, and 3 of the whites?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I eat a whole egg every day and I love them, but I also eat 2 or more egg whites every day. Having 3 or 4 whole eggs every day (plus whatever egg I get in things like noodles or bread) adds up to more than I want in terms of both calories and fat.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #5  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I eat the whole egg when I eat eggs, which is pretty often.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #6  

I've followed conventional wisdom of tossing a yolk or two, but there are many articles that refute this idea:

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-a...hy-356261.html

I'm going to try to find a source for free-range eggs!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #7  
Transforming through God

For me, it comes to calories too. I can have a hugggge omelet with mostly egg whites (and one whole egg with yolk) which gives me the 'volume' that helps keep me satisfied, rather than a small one with say, two whole eggs.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #8  
is recommitted

Well, it just seems to me, from a common sense standpoint, that the egg whites are just kind of... there. They don't really have very much nutrition. Now I'm not saying that the more calories something has the more nutrition it has, obviously a cup of carrots have more nutrition than a cup of potato chips, but the egg yolk has all of the vitamins, minerals, etc. After all, that's where the would-be baby chick gets all of their nourishment during gestation.

Maybe it shouldn't, but it just bothers me when I see so many people wasting those yolks. I just found this article on the web, and I think it sums up my feeling exactly, although I didn't know all of that information about eggs:

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/whole-e...gg-whites.html

Personally, I think that I would be fuller longer on 1 whole egg than 2 egg whites. And when I do eat scrambled eggs in the morning, I am full for a long time, sometimes past "lunch time." Even on a limited calorie budget, you could probably fit at least 200 calories on breakfast, which could include 2 eggs and a little cheese (and whatever veggies you want to add to it). For me, I have a fairly high calorie budget of around 2,000 per day... I can fit 2 eggs in my diet no problem. Maybe even a slice of bacon (gasp!) and a piece of toast (double gasp!).

Last edited by rakel; 04-10-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakel View Post
Ah that makes sense. So say you make an omelette with 3 eggs, you might only use 1 yoke, and 3 of the whites?
Yes, this exactly! 3 whole extra large eggs = 255 calories while 1 egg plus 2 whites = 119 calories. To me it's just about as filling this way and saves me enough calories to justify a little cheese ... which is my favorite thing.

ETA:
Whites do contain almost 4grams of protein each which is nothing to cluck at . They go a long way at filling me up.

ETA: again... haha I usually buy a carton of eggbeaters whites so I don't feel so bad about throwing all those yolks away. When we had our dog living with us I used to feed the yolks to him. It's good for their fur .

Last edited by ValRock; 04-10-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #10  
is recommitted

Oh, and to the person thinking about free range hens -- ME TOO! I'm going to the farmers market today... I hope someone has some eggs!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #11  

I hope it's ok that I post here, but I just wanted to comment on the egg conversation.

rakel, I totally understand where you're coming from on the egg white thing. I count calories, so I limit myself to 2 eggs when I do eat them. But I eat the whole egg. I just don't find egg whites to be as tasty, and it's not nearly as filling as with the yolk. I could eat a ton more egg whites for the same calories but I also want to ENJOY my food, and honestly I LIVE for egg yolks. It's so delicious and the trade off is that I have to eat fewer of them.

And that was an interesting article, thanks for posting.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #12  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

I eat fresh whole eggs from my friends yard . Two eggs in a veggie omelet...just delicious, and you get alot of nutrition for the calories. Cooked with Pam and 1/2 tsp of butter this comes in at 200 calories for breakfast.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

I think the thing is that if you are on a restricted calorie diet to lose weight, there are always going to be trade offs. I don't eat too much fruit - it's very healthy and it tastes good but I have to figure out ways to get in the maximum amount of nutrients in the calorie range I follow. A hardboiled egg white is 17 calories and 3.6 gr of protein. It's not all I eat at a meal, but it's a way for me to add some extra protein for a minimal amount of calories. If I ate 2 whole eggs with my breakfast instead of 2 egg whites, I'd have to cut that extra 120 calories from something else. Everyone has to figure out how to allocate their food and what tradeoffs work best for them.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #14  
is recommitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I stay away from both.

For me it all comes down to calories. I egg WHITE has 17 calories a WHOLE egg - 80 calories. That's a BIG difference. AND there is lots of protein in the white. I can eat a huge, satiating, delicious 4 egg white omlette for only 68 calories (plus my additions). One single egg comes in at 80.
Your body uses cholesterol every day as a natural function of your body. There is "good cholesterol" and "bad cholesterol" ... I just read an article that mentions this, and there are more studies that say maybe eggs actually help you improve your overall good and bad cholesterol levels. Eggs are natural, a hamburger at McDonalds is not. That's not to say that you should chow down a half-dozen eggs a day, of course -- everything in moderation.

I just feel like maybe those egg yolks are being ignored. One of the articles a previous posted put up there said that the benefit of the egg white is diminished if you don't eat the yolk too -- because of all of the muscle building amino acids in the yolk.

I haven't eaten very many eggs in my day, in fact when I was growing up I hated them. But as I am getting older I like them a lot more and I just think they are an amazing food in their whole. Yeah, I mean, the yolks have more calories than the whites, but isn't a part of this journey, too? Just like how I might have full fat peanut butter instead of reduced fat? You know? Or eat an avocado once in awhile because it has good for me fat, even though it can be high in calories?

Also, as far as all of these "studies" go, they are constantly going back and forth on these things. I think sometimes you should just listen to the conventional wisdom of our grandparents. After all, it's our generation that has this problem, to the extent that it has been. Which, on a side note, is also largely due to the fact that pretty much everything we buy is processed and made from corn.

Last edited by rakel; 04-10-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Right, but you can't look at the yolks/no yolks thing in isolation: you don't know what else people are eating. For each of us, finding a combination of foods that provides the nutrition, bulk, and emotional satisfaction we need is a complicated, highly-individual process (which is why "self-crafted" and then tweaked diets are better than canned ones for almost everyone).

I mean, let's say Suzie could get her fat from eating egg yolks and not just egg whites in her salad, but then she would have to cut the cheese out, and she loves, loves the cheese. It's the part of her lunch she looks forward to, the bites she most enjoys. Yes, she's wasting a chunk of calories that starving third-world children would love to have, and adding $2/week to her grocery bill, but so what? Eating those yolks--and not that cheese--wouldn't actually help those starving children, and $2 a week is a pretty small indulgence in the grand scheme of things.

I guess what I am getting at is that many (most? practically all?) overweight people have all sorts of "guilt" issues when it comes to food--we feel guilty when we eat anything unhealthy, but we also feel guilty when we turn down food others offer us. We feel guilty when we "waste" food if we aren't hungry--we feel guilty if we waste food our SO's or children or guests didn't eat. A huge part of losing weight is learning not to feel guilty about healthy food choices, and tossing yolks can be a sensible choice.
Closed Thread