3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   help! I'm flagging! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/198737-help-im-flagging.html)

graceandbalance 04-07-2010 10:07 AM

help! I'm flagging!

Hi everyone,

I've been on a modest plan for the last few weeks - 1800 calories a day, exercise 3-4 times a week, supervised by a weight loss management team at a women's health center. The first week I lost 5 lbs. This past week I lost 0 lbs. I am finding myself skipping entering my food into fitday every couple of days - the first week I was religious about it but last week missed a few, and I missed yesterday. To top it all off, I've had a really bad and sudden case of plantar fascitis come back in my left foot, which makes exercise this week difficult.

This is the point where I would have probably quit before, but not this time! Can you help me through it? Drill sergeants welcome!

synger 04-07-2010 10:32 AM

I find that entering my food regularly is just about the only thing that keeps me on plan. Even if I am out, I carry a little pad with me and write down what I've eaten, so when I get back to a computer I can enter it.

For a modest plan, you can probably expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week. But you also need to remember that it's an AVERAGE. Some weeks you'll lose, other weeks you'll stay level, other weeks you may actually have gains based on water and hormone levels, even if you stay perfectly on-plan.

If you lose just ONE pound a week, you'll have lost over 50 pounds by this time next year! But that only works if you keep up with your plan, even on weeks when you don't lose anything at all.

Your plan will work, so long as you work your plan!

As to the plantar fascitis, I completely understand. I have tendinitis, and can't walk for exercise when it flares up (which is a lot lately). There are other things you can do that won't bother your feet so much. I find that the elliptical machine doesn't annoy my feet the same way the treadmill does, for instance. It's no-impact, and my podiatrist explained that it allows you to move your feet and legs more to compensate for the over-stretching that aggravates foot problems.

There is also swimming, upper-body bicycling (most health centers have one) if you can't do lower-body bicycling, rowing, etc. If it continues to be a problem, I'd suggest getting a "chair dancing" video... they're great for getting some exercise when you can't use your feet.

Eliana 04-07-2010 10:39 AM

Oh, you can do this! You're not alone!

First off, I have had to find something sustainable, something I don't hate so there really is no reason to quit. Many people find journaling vital to their weight loss and even maintenance. For me though, journaling was just another thing I could quit, so I don't journal. What I do is break my calories into six mini meals of equal calories. I never have to count more than 200 calories at a time. I also don't nibble. I have six meals, period. This works great for me but only because I am very disciplined about six meals and no nibbles.

As for the foot, been there done that too! Ouch! I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but mine went away within a week of doing the elliptical machine. It strengthens the calf, so that may well be what did it for me. I've been pain free for three years now. It was starting to come back in November, but I hopped on that elliptical again and it's gone.

The biggest thing I have done for myself this time is I have given myself a commitment of one year. I stall on the scale a lot and I find the scale rarely reflects my efforts. So this time, I decided I really wanted to see what a year could do for me, no matter what the stinking scale did. So I am giving this one year no matter what. I will eat on plan and exercise for one year. If I have a bad moment, I will brush myself off immediately, that moment, not even the next hour, because I am committed to my health for one year. And you darn well when that year is up, I'm not going back. ;)

Lyn2007 04-07-2010 11:08 AM

Plantar fasciitis is horrible! When you wake up in the morning, sit on the bed and gently stretch your foot tendons by pulling back gently on your toes. And midday, take a frozen water bottle and put it on the floor and roll your foot over it. omg it took me forever for that to heal but it does heal.

Hang on! You are going to get to your goal. Stay focused and give it 100% It is better to give it your all and get results than give it 80% and waste effort and time and just end up frustrated in the end!

graceandbalance 04-07-2010 11:59 AM

Aw, thanks for the support you guys! It's strengthened my resolve!

Synger: I have never been much of a swimmer, but we do have a swimming pool in our apartment building- I should throw on a bathing suit and hop in the water! I feel dumb for not thinking of it myself :) Right now the p.f. is so bad that putting any weight on the foot is a problem (not just in the morning, but all throughout the day) - so even though I usually do the elliptical I'm finding it too painful to do it for my usual duration. Thanks for all the suggestions - I think in the past I would have just used the p.f. as an excuse to stop exercising- I'm determined to keep it up this time!

Eliana - I used to have the p.f. all the time until I started wearing very supportive sneakers, and it gradually went away. No sign of it for about a year, and then last Thursday I woke up with the worst case of it I've ever had, with no warning. It hurts even when I'm sitting down, which was never a problem before. I actually wondered if it was because I'd been doing the elliptical so much. Sounds like it probably wasn't...

It seems like your one-year commitment is working for you! I think that's a great idea... I definitely need to think more long term. I don't seem to have a problem seeing long term when it comes to other people's weight loss, but for my own I lose perspective!

Lyn: I will definitely try the stretches and the water bottle. Thanks so much for the tips!

Eliana 04-07-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graceandbalance (Post 3236463)
I don't seem to have a problem seeing long term when it comes to other people's weight loss, but for my own I lose perspective!

Exactly! I've fought this for years! For some reason I've always been harder on myself and if I wasn't losing 10 lbs a month "like everyone else" I would give up. But that was so silly! Any loss is worth maintaining.

synger 04-07-2010 12:34 PM

Looked up seated exercise videos on my fave video site (Collage Video rocks!), and they have a bunch of them.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...cise-videos-47

I would suggest buying one or two, even if you begin swimming instead. It's nice to have something to "fall back on" when you're having an especially bad flare-up. And if you have the video on hand, you have Absolutely No Excuse not to exercise! :devil:

graceandbalance 04-08-2010 02:33 PM

Lyn - I tried the water bottle thing and it helped so much! Very little pain for at least half an hour after I stopped. I could have kept going all day :)

Synger - I picked one out, can't wait to try it!

MomtoThree 04-08-2010 06:02 PM

Oh, I so happy I hopped on to this thread. I needed the chair excersice week since I am in a orthapedic boot for a few weeks and not walk or do aerobics.

All, I can say about sticking to a plan is just do it. Just take your plan one day at a time and keep going. It does not matter how slow or fast you lose, all that really matter is that you lose it and can maintain the loss.