Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default what sticking with it feels like.

Well, here we are at the end of March and I'm down four pounds, which is one pound per week.

But this month has really been a toughie.

I plateaud for two weeks, then dropped four pounds pretty quick-- maintained that for four or five days, then put back on four, then six pounds.

I could not find ANY reason for the gain. I had not changed my eating plan-- the only differences were that I was sick for a week and I had upped my exercise.

So, I waited. I just kept doing the same stuff. I maintained the gain for another ten days....

Then, all of a sudden, I retained a whole bunch of water... (sometimes my lower legs an ankles swell up and I can definitely see it-- plus, I my scale does water percentage and body fat percentage along with weight.)

The water gain did not cause I weight gain so I figured that I probably was actually going down, just couldn't see. I tried to figure out why the water weight, since I wasn't eating more sodium-- I think it was taking ibuprofen for several days-- apparently some people swell up ibuprofen and I think I'm one of them.

Long story short-- the water weight went away, the scale went back down, and as an added bonus, I'm maintaining a body fat percentage of 41%-- it was 44-45% at the beginning of the month. Maybe all that running and lifting is finally paying off.

So, all the time I was STRESSING about what I was eating and why it wasn't working, actually I remain right on target AND I've also lost body fat.

Just another reminder that weight loss is not linear and if we're losing at a rate of a pound a week or so, we really have to take the LONG VIEW.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #2  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is so good to hear, for so many reasons.

I'm glad the scale finally vindicated all your efforts by coughing up a good number. You deserve it for your hard work.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I am so glad the scale is going down for you!! GREAT!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for the reminder and congrats on the willpower to muscle on through it.

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I've had a similar month with lots of bouncing up and down on the scale, so a big congrats for sticking with it!!! I know how frustrating it feels to be doing things right and see the scale go UP. So happy for you that you got a good number for month's end and even better that you know what you lost was fat (and probably even more than 4 lbs worth!)
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #6  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for reminder that there are many ways to see our success, not just the scale.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:32 PM   #7  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Slow and steady wins the race...

I think a general downward trend is to be applauded! I'd love to lose 4 lbs a week but know that slower is better! I'm down 4 lbs overall from last month too. It really is something to be proud of!! If we continue at this pace we could still be looking at being 50 lbs lighter by April 1, 2011. Not too shabby!!

Last edited by Michelle98272; 03-31-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 PM   #8  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

This has been my month too and it is frustrating! I'm glad you motored through. I was getting frustrated but have been able to fit into smaller pants so something is happening. I got stuck at this number last time I tried this and got frustrated and quit. I will NOT quit this time. Your experience reinforces this for me. Thanks for sharing.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for sharing, uber and I'm glad to see you have a healthy perspective on things. It's been a tough month for me, too as far as the scale is concerned. I dropped some early on, then gained and lost the same pound. I think I'll be down a couple more pounds at my weigh-in this Friday, but March is not looking to be the month when I lose my typical 8 pounds a month average. But like you said, I keep at it and know that eventually the scale will have to cooperate. The important thing is not to let it derail all our hard work!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh my gosh, it's hard isn't it? I've been in a similar place for the last several months with slooow movement on the scale and just having to power through it and stick with the plan even when progress is at a snail's pace. I know there is a good lesson in there about sticking to something because it's good for me, even if the results don't feel as forthcoming as they once were. But impatience is a constant threat to me losing my cool. And yet you are so right - things are changing even if the scale movement isn't there or linear!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #11  

OH MY GOSH CC, not to hijack my own thread, but YOU ARE ABOUT TO HIT ONEDERLAND???? HOW AMAZING IS THAT???

Now, back to the regularly scheduled program.

I know that others here work hard and hit snags, and others work hard and seem to have a more linear loss...

I really am trying for a mindset shift.

I used to think of losing weight as a journey to a destination, and every time I didn't move on the scale, it was like my car broke down and I was going to be late-- and you how sometimes when you realize you are going to be super late somewhere you just decide to bag it?

But, now I'm thinking of the weight milestones more like scenery passing through the window. All I have to do is keep driving, and the rest will take care of itself.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I agree. It isn't linear.

My body is not math graph. It is a living thing and heals at its own, organic pace.

Good for you for keeping the healthy attitude!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post

I used to think of losing weight as a journey to a destination, and every time I didn't move on the scale, it was like my car broke down and I was going to be late-- and you how sometimes when you realize you are going to be super late somewhere you just decide to bag it?
What a great analogy that I bet more than a few of us can relate to! That's exactly it!! And a mindset change is definitely in order.

My gym has a body percentage reader that I plan to use once a month on my anniversary. When measured two weeks ago I was at 40.1% body fat. I will be thrilled if that goes down but the scale stays the same. I've got to have something! Weight loss is SO not linear!!

Powering through is very worth it though. It's the only thing there is to be done!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
What a great analogy that I bet more than a few of us can relate to! That's exactly it!! And a mindset change is definitely in order.

My gym has a body percentage reader that I plan to use once a month on my anniversary. When measured two weeks ago I was at 40.1% body fat. I will be thrilled if that goes down but the scale stays the same. I've got to have something! Weight loss is SO not linear!!

Powering through is very worth it though. It's the only thing there is to be done!
The body fat thing is really cool! The only thing I've noticed is that it bounces around even more than weight...the way the scale weighs, there is a direct correlation between water percentage and fat percentage--my body water percentage fluctuates between about 39% when I'm thirsty, to 42% when I'm retaining water. Just right seems to be about 40%. But the fat % shifts up and down in tandem with the water %. So if my water percent is high then my fat % is low-- when my water is at 42% my Body fat will go down as low as 40% and when I'm dehydrated, my body fat will go up.

That's just a word of warning-- I think you might want to try it several days in a row and see if you see a correlation like that-- because I think it's hard to assess the body fat% without looking at the water% too-- at least on my scale, which is a bioelectrical impedance scale. Because based on my experience, a single weigh in might not really show you a downward trend.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #15  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

It's frustrating to not see the results but I think the mindset shift is the best thing to come out of this month, for alot of us. I've had to change mine to not focus on the number, after all, it's not inked across my forehead in sharpie. I'm aware of it, which helps me make better food choices through the day, but I'm not a slave to it. I watch how the clothes fit, how my muscles begin to emerge, and how much better I look. Congrats on powering on through the scale blah's.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote