My first 4 weeks - (in reflection)

• So, I started my new lifestyle 4 weeks ago today, actually this very minute 4 weeks ago - on March 1st.

I am not sure what made me walk out that door on that March 1st and decide that I will walk daily - rain, sleet, (and even snow, in Austin, Tx - crazy) period. And, so far I have.

Moving and realizing I can walk farther and farther has been great. I even jogged to the end of my street this morning then did my normal 1.5 mile walk.

I have been eating proper foods and haven't cheated. WE went to a birthday party on Saturday, wow that scared me a bit, my husband had a piece of cake and I had one small bite of his and that was it. I have worked too dang hard all month to blow it now.

I am down 7 lbs total for my first 4 weeks and 3,5 inches down in my waist area. I think today I will do more measuring and then be able to check in a month to see where I am.

I did think I would have lost more weight, but I guess 7 lbs down is better than being 7 lbs UP.

I can tell I have lost inches, my clothes are very loose. I had jeans on the other day and showed my husband how I could pull them straight down without unzipping or buttoning them heehee. (I love how he just raises one eyebrow at me when I do stuff like that). hahaha

So a very small part of me thinks, why am I bothering, I will never loose the weight a very much larger part of me thing I really can do this.

One this I need to do is DRINK MORE WATER. ugh!

Thanks for all of the support and awesome knowledge ya'll share.

Here's to another 4 weeks!
  • Thanks for your reflections, Summerblue... you and I have similar start weights and start times. Keep at it! What you're doing is obviously making a difference. If you lose 7 lbs each month for a year, you'll have lost 84 lbs!!!
  • You know, for me, it was small steps. Just do it one day, then the day became a week, then a month, etc. I think you've done wonderfully, and you have a great attitude. 7 lbs DOWN is way better than 7 lbs up. Congrats on your first month
  • Thanks Grace............yes, 84 lbs is a lot and great way to think about it!

WE CAN DO THIS!
  • Good job, and keep it up! I have to admit, I'm another who has a hard time if I think in terms of how many pounds I have to lose, or even how many I COULD lose - like many of us, I tend more to "okay, I'm 224.2. Just think, 5 pounds and I'm in the two teens. Awesome! I can do five pounds!"

7 pounds is great - and 7 pounds that you're not schlepping around with you everywhere you go. How cool is that?
  • Woot Woot.. congrats!! 7 lbs is awsome!!!! your loosing it at the right pace! should be .5 to 1.5 pounds a week! keep going! and a big wow to just having one bite of the cake just think of how the old you would have reacted
  • OH THAT'S REALLY GREAT!!!!!! I've always heard the first 26 days are the hardest, and you made it! So getting out and walking is probably a habit for you now, and that is really, really good!!! I have the same problem you do, looking at that dreaded scale and thinking "erg...I should have lost more weight!" It's like you said though, 7 lbs down is a heck of a lot better that a 7 lb gain, just think, if you loose that much for for 4 months straight, you'll be down almost 30lbs, and you'll see a huge diff.!!!

About the water, I can't stand drinking water either, it is a big turn off for me! I have discovered those Crystal Light packets, they have like 0-5 cals and really give water a good flavor. I like the tropical punch and peach tea flavors. They have a huge variety of flavors tho! You just open the packet, dump it in your water, and shake! I even carry a few packets in my purse so I can add them to my water if I'm out and about!

Keep up the good work, you sound like you are doing great!! You'll reach your goals in no time!!!
  • I think maybe you only (ha, only!) lost seven pounds because you added exercise right away. That's the healthiest way to do it! But it also makes the weight come off a tad slower as you retain water for muscle repair and constantly change the make-up of your body. So I think seven pounds is AWESOME and spot on!

You have a great attitude! I know this month has probably been a long one. Soon, the months will start to fly by as this becomes second nature.
  • Walking each day is great! I started the same way in December and the best part for me at the end of the month was how I felt physically. I just felt so much better. Also, 7 pounds is great! That is a healthy pace to be on.

Congratulations on your success so far!