Signed Up For My First 5K

• I've been learning to run since the beginning of January and have also just completed Week 7 of the C25K programme.
    In the UK there is a women only 5k race called the Race For Life each year in aid of research into women's cancers, and I've been thinking about doing this since I started running but really wasn't sure. You can walk, jog or run the course but I got it in my head I'd only be happy if I could jog it. The last couple of weeks I've thought more about it but wasn't confident in myself. I'd also tried to buy one of the tshirts online for if I did decide to take part, but they were sold out.
    Anyway, today is my 8 month anniversary of starting this journey and when we went to our fairly local mall there was a stand for the Race for Life, encouraging people to sign up, selling the merchandise etc. I asked about the tshirts I like and they had them there ready to buy The next thing the man tells me is if I sign up today I get a free limited cancer research duck. Now I'm not a duck collector but I've seen these ducks and they are CUTE At that point I just felt like the whole date significance, race stand, tshirt and duck freebie were a sign that I really should do it. To others it may seem silly, but I can't help believing in fate and this was too obvious a sign to me, so I signed up, got my tshirt and my cute duck, and came home thinking "OMG, what have I just done"!
    I guess I'd better keep going with the running practice and start training officially for my first 5K!
  • That's awesome - go you!

I am totally addicted to 5K/event tshirts now. If a race has a good cause and a cool tshirt, I am all over it!

I think you should post a picture of the duck.
  • This is just so awesome!!! I will cheering you on from the other side of the pond!