Middle of the night craving crazies...

• I've mentioned this in a couple threads now, but I've gotta ask...

Does anyone get the food craving crazies?

Between 1030 and 1130pm I go crazy. I feel this extreme compulsion to eat. It doesn't matter where I am or what I'm doing, I could be driving or in bed or doing homework or watching a movie...1030 hits and all I can think about is food and where I'm gonna get it and what I'm gonna have.

I feel like a crack addict looking for my next fix. The only thing I've found that helped is I shove my mouth with 2-3 pieces of gum and furiously chew for an hour. By the time 1130 rolls around I'm fine, it's the weirdest thing.

It's pretty early on in my new 'lifestyle' so I'm hoping this will go away eventually?

Has anyone else ever had anything like this, or go through the weird psycho moods? It's actually a little frightening, it's like I have no control over myself!
  • I usually save some calories and eat a bowl of high fiber cereal. You can either allott? some calories for fruit or other low calorie snack ( like a 100cal bag of popcorn, lots to eat one by one , or if you cant eat anything because you might eat too much, I would create a night activity that you do every night like reading, or doing something you love. You can look forward to that instead of eating.
  • If it has been 3 or 4 hours since your last meal, you are probably just hungry.
    Maybe you can bank some calories to have at that time.
    Another thing I have noticed, is that staying lower glycemic during the day makes me less prone to the "mewanties" later.
  • I've had these too and have had up to 5 pieces of gum! I am recovering from a very bad cold, cough, sore throat and have found through being ill that sucking on a cough drop also helps. Right there with you!
  • If I stay up past 10 (not often on weeknights, since I get up at 5:30), I usually need a snack before bed. I stick with my old stand-bys: string cheese or some cottage cheese. It's something to tide me over, and it doesn't deposit all sorts of starch on my teeth right before I brush them for bed.
  • It happens to me sometimes late in the evenings. I get this almost overwhelming/uncontrollable urge to eat junk food. I find it happens more often (or is worse) when I am really stressed or at a certain place in my cycle. Find something to distract yourself with until it passes. The last time it happened to me, I got on here and posted...it's hard to eat and type at the same time. :~)
  • Yep. We eat dinner at 6 PM.

If I'm up, I can expect a 10 PM hunger spell.

A.
  • Yes!! Every night! I have to force myself not to eat. I love the idea of saving the calories throughout the day and having a "reasonable" snack before bed. But the stuff I used to grab right before bed was leftovers from dinner, so I would end up having 2 dinners and it's terrible to do that right before you go to bed. But, lately IF I get the munchies I will grab 2 pieces of ham rolled up with a slice of gouda cheese. It's satisfying (enough) and about 80-90 calories. Seems to be helping...

Mini Goal 4: 160 - 48lbs to go
    Unrealistic Goal?? 155 - 63lbs to go
  • I'm going to also suggest a small snack before you go to bed. I prefer some protein like a piece of cheese or boiled egg. Or sometimes, a small bowl of oatmeal really hits the spot.
  • I battle this constantly. I'm in the medical profession as well as a nursing student and work 12 hour night shifts. I see the RN's, LPN's and MHT's snacking all night on crap crap crap. Best thing I can do, is plan my calories for that day, allowing for a bit more, because I'm up longer, my day is way over extended, time wise and keep healthy snacks in the fridge at work. Last night I took a HUGE salad with half the normal dressing amount and just snacked on that last night and cheese sticks as it got closer to morning and I needed the protein boost. I do agree with allotting for the calories, if you're often up that late, my only concern would be that the late night snacking is probably what helped the lbs add up as you were gaining weight, so you may want to designate that time to a cup of hot tea and a mental break.
  • Thanks for all the comments.
    I don't think it's that I'm hungry, just that it's become such a habit to sit there and cram my face while I unwind from the day.
    I can't do the idea of allotting certain calories for that time, because I tried and the crazies still kicked in and it's honestly like a drug, I can't stop until I want to puke. It's ONLY that time of night too, it's stupid. I've been resisting for almost a week now and I think? it's getting easier.

I do want to try the cup of tea idea though, I love tea and have loads of herbals that might help me relax more.
    Again, thanks for all the input!
  • It does get easier in time. Maybe have the tea and a bit of time in the tub, or with a book or something else you find relaxing yet can look forward to. If you've been strong during this week you've almost got it licked and replacing the face stuffing as a form of relaxation with another form of it could be the clue your body needs.