Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #1  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

Default Ode to frozen veggies

I'm sitting on my couch tonight eating a stir-fry full of veggies and some extra spinach that I had in my freezer, and I'm so happy about how easy it was to add even more veggies to any dish and wanted to talk about it . I figured of all the places I could go you guys would understand.

That being said...

I love frozen spinach. It's handy, easy to microwave, you can add favors to it as you cook it, it can be added frozen of precooked to any dish. I've put it in soups, sauces, rice, couscous, macaroni and cheese, and have eat a huge plate of it with some turkey as a main dish. The best part is that I don't really like the flavor, but it's so versatile it can go in nearly anything. It makes eating leafy dark green veggies easy.

Does anyone else have a favorite go to vegatable...or do guys think I'm crazy too...?
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

You've inspired me to check out the freezer section of the grocery store. SO much better than my crap diet!
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #3  
it's always something

I buy frozen broccoli all the time, love the stuff I prefer fresh spinach because it's easier to toss into dishes one handful at a time (single cook) but I do keep frozen loose leaf spinach on hand.

Frozen cubed butternut squash comes in handy
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

One of my favorite go-to vegetables is fresh green cabbage. I had it stir-fried with some ham and onion this evening for dinner. Nice and crisp, fills me up, cheap as anything, lasts a while in the crisper. The ham is a bit salty for my diet, but overall the dish was low-fat and low-carb and tasty (my fave combination). I also throw shredded cabbage in with browned ground beef (YUM!) and nuke it a few minutes and serve with tomato sauce as an ersatz pasta.

I'm also one who keeps frozen spinach on hand and throws a handful into all sorts of things. Spinach and tomatoes is a favorite dish. I also add it to eggs, soups, stir-fries, sauces, etc.

I also keep frozen broccoli, green beans, and cauliflower on hand. I keep peas for my husband, but I don't eat them much any more.

Crisper has carrots, radishes, salad mix, and mushrooms just about all the time.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I use frozen veggies almost exclusively where I can! It's much cheaper and healthier than a lot of the fresh options where I live
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #6  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

OMG i crave spinach - seriously!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #7  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I am absolutely GRATEFUL to frozen veggies, especially during the winter months when fresh produce's quality is iffy and the prices are sky high. For a stir fry frozen bag at my Wal-Mart it's $1.83 and that's at least 3 servings for me!

Lesser nutrients or not.... frozen veggies, you have saved my butt!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Count me in for spinach frozen or fresh. And frozen mixed bell peppers...a sack of them is like a buck and a half or less on sale compared to fresh reds and yellows at around $2 each. I add spinach and peppers to a lot of stuff. We had the most amazing pumpkin and black bean soup the other day. I've made it often, but this time I needed to use up an extra bag of spinach from the fridge, so in it went and it was SO GOOD!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'm a broccoli girl. Tonight I had about 2.5 cups of fresh steamed broc in my homemade chicken soup. I had about an ounce of noodles - in the past, I would have had 2 or 3 times that much noodles, so the broc is a great sub for some of it. I do the same thing with clam sauce and scampi - a very small (like half a portion) amount of pasta and 2-3 cups of broc make a large and very satisfying portion.

I do mostly use fresh when I can, but I keep the frozen spears around, so I never have to go without.

Last edited by PeanutsMom704; 03-25-2010 at 11:13 PM.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #10  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

We love love love frozen veggies in this house. Now's a great time for fresh here, but I always have half my freezer stocked with frozen veggies, especially when I find them on sale. They can and do go in everything from smoothies to main dishes to 'clean out the leftover' soup
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Oh man, i love frozen veggies. I've been throwing a handful of frozen stir-fry veggies into cooked brown rice and taking it to school for lunch for the past week.

I really like frozen green beans. My SO hates green beans, so its not worth buying them fresh just for me. I also keep broccoli on hand since its so easy to just turn into an easy side dish
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I prefer fresh, but my go to frozen is sugar snap peas. I could eat those like candy!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I could not have lost this weight with frozen broccoli and Green Giant Simply Steam Green Beans & Almonds. Frozen cauliflower and sugar snap peas come close. Like Synger fresh cabbage is a huge veggie for me>
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

I prefer fresh veggies over frozen, but I don't like going to the grocery store more than once a paycheck, so when I plan, I plan my fresh veggies for the first week, then I plan frozen veggies for the second half. The one grocery store I normally shop at will often have fresh veggies on clearance. It will be stuff like red/yellow peppers, 8 in a bag for $1.50, which I turn into frozen veggies. I almost always have frozen broccoli, cauliflower, onions and peppers (and cooked beans) in my freezer.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #15  
Kim

S/C/G: 256/*ticker*/140

I'm all about frozen veggies. There are usually some really good coupons for them too.
Wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote