Old 03-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #1  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default Why thank you very much; or how I learned to stop worrying and embrace the scale

On my way into the exam room this morning the nurse detoured me past the doctor's office scale. Ugh, they are the worse, but a necessary evil.

I dropped my back and book, and shucked my sweater and shoes, so over my undies all I was wearing was jeans (and the belt I need to keep them up) and a tank top. There was nothing hidden, I swear.

So, up I hops on the scale and the nurse moves the big block to 150.

"200" says I.

"Really?" says she, moving the block obligingly. "You really don't look it."

Awww, how sweet.
And the number? 219 (in clothing).

Not as low as I would like, but 5 pounds less than last time I was at the doctor's a little over a month ago. For all my winning and screaming, I know any movement downwards is good movement.

Last edited by knobhdy; 03-22-2010 at 01:50 PM.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #2  
Now Mom to 5

S/C/G: 250/ticker/170

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations! It is always nice to see the difference at the doctors office.
MomtoThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Last year when I went for my annual exam, I did a check of their scale compared to my scale (went immediately home after the exam, wearing exactly the same clothes, without eating or drinking anything, and measured myself on my home scale), and I was very pleased to find that my scale at home weighs me a few pounds heavier than my doctor's office!
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, how I hate the doctor's scale! Very brave of you! I'm glad we have a new scale now. Our old one weighed me 15 POUNDS lighter than at the doctors. The one at our gym weighs 15 pounds light. I like it! Yesterday, fully clothed, holding a freaking full 32 oz bottle of water WITH my shoes on it weighed me at 185!! (I'm 195 ish in the morning naked.) And yes, I can do math...I assume all the clothes and water bottle weigh at least 5 lbs.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #5  
Cute and fun to be with

S/C/G: 250/ticker/125

Height: 5' 5.5"

Scales really do exist to make us crazy.

A few months ago Consumer Reports had an artical on scales. They determined that many were not accurate, and even less were reliably accurate. But there was one scale that although it was totally inaccurate, as they put it: "tenaciously reported the same (inaccurate) number every time."

For some reason that phrase still makes me crack up.
knobhdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #6  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

NICE!!!! You are doing awesome! You started at 250 and look where you are......I can't wait to be at that weight you are now
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobhdy View Post
But there was one scale that although it was totally inaccurate, as they put it: "tenaciously reported the same (inaccurate) number every time."

that's what I wanted in a scale - I got a new one a month ago and ended up "gaining" 7 lbs with it and resetting my starting weight. But the great thing is how consistent it is. With my old scale, I could get on and off 5 times and get 5 different numbers, plus even though it was digital, if I shifted around while standing on it, the numbers would change. My new scale is scarily consistent. I think it is programmed to repeat the same weight if it's within a certain range, but I've tested it too, and done stuff like get on, see my weight, then pick up 5 lbs of books, get on again and see the higher number, and then put the books down and get on a third time. The first time and the third time are the same weight, even though I re-set it by getting on at a higher weight. I've also done the same thing and had my ~40 lbs son get on in between me weighing twice and yep, I still get the same thing both times.

I don't really care that much about absolute accuracy, but I do want relative accuracy meaning that I want to know how much I've lost or gained each day/week/month and be able to rely on that. I'm curious to see how it will compare when I go in for a doctor's appt but I suspect it will be closer than my old scale because I was always a lot heavier in the doctor's office than I was at home, even taking clothing vs. weighing naked at home into consideration.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #8  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Isn't it great not to fear the dreaded doctor's scale! I almost run to it now, because I know even though it's still a high number, it's going to be lower than the last time I was there.

Kudos to you!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

That's a great feeling!!! And how nice that you look under 200! It's amazing how as we get fit and lose weight at the same time we start looking even slimmer than we weigh.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote