3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Getting over a bug and feeling 'entitled' to eat-support, anyone? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/196734-getting-over-bug-feeling-entitled-eat-support-anyone.html)

Mary49 03-15-2010 06:40 AM

Getting over a bug and feeling 'entitled' to eat-support, anyone?

Not exactly 'entitled', but feeling that I want to use food to comfort myself, y'know?

I'm back to work after a 3-day stomach virus(yech!) and am feeling vulnerable to foods I know aren't good for me, mainly carb-laden baked goods I know will be in the office breakroom. While realizing I need to take care of myself in other, non-food ways, I am still mentally stuck on food 'treats' like crackers, ginger ale, toast w/jam associated with being sick.

Does this happen to anyone else out there? Can someone please give me a gentle boot back into reality? Thanks!

PeanutsMom704 03-15-2010 07:21 AM

I don't think I can boot you into reality because I'm in the same place. A bad cold rather than a stomach bug but I've been coughing so hard it makes me nauseated and I feel better with some food in my stomach all the time so I've gone through a bag of pretzels the past 2 days, as well as some other bad choices.

I guess that if you are back to work, it's time to flip a switch from eating sick food to telling yourself that you are fine now, and your body is fine now and it's time to get back to normal.

I'm just hoping I can do the same thing myself! I'm not better and I keep going back and forth on whether i should just call in sick but waiting to see how I feel after showering and getting dressed (which I have to do to take my kid to school anyway - the question is whether I keep going to my office or come back home afterwards!)

Eliana 03-15-2010 09:21 AM

I understand! I get this way. When you're sick, you feel like you deserve comfort food. I don't know if it's habit or a honest to goodness craving but it's hard to overcome. Sometimes I think our bodies crave what they need. If you're craving salty things you may need it. I think that's why chicken soup is supposed to be good for us when we're sick.

Sometimes PMS makes me think I "deserve" things that are bad for me. It takes a lot of self-talk to override it. Tell yourself what you really "deserve" is a healthy body. It's the two year old in you that wants the bad stuff. You're strong enough to take her! :D

Trazey34 03-15-2010 09:50 AM

it took me 40 years to get out of that mindset LOL I know it's a drag, but think of it as some FREE weight loss!!! Jump right back on your plan, and you should see an extra wooosh this week yes??? yay! We all need to find new and better ways to reward and comfort outselves.

saef 03-15-2010 10:15 AM

Baby yourself, just not with food. Curl up with a blanket & hot tea. Let yourself lay around. Read the kind of book you used to read, years ago. (A friend of mine keeps a few old Nancy Drew books on hand just for such occasions.) Put on your comfiest sweater & slippers. Rub lotion into your feet. Do nothing of importance. Accomplish no task. Make no lists. Just let yourself be. And that is, be sick. Do this for just eight hours or so.

It's amazing what really taking an old-fashioned "sick day" (and enforcing the "not doing" part) can do. Don't try to work through it & maintain your regular schedule & don't be a "brave little" sick girl.

rockinrobin 03-15-2010 10:42 AM

What you're "entitled" to is good health! THAT'S what you're entitled to.

NebraskaLady 03-15-2010 12:03 PM

When children and animals are sick, they don't want to eat. This is one of the ways that you can tell if something is wrong with them. When I'm sick, I want to eat everything in the house because food fixes everything, NOT. When I'm sick and eat everything in sight, my body not only has to try to heal itself from being sick, but also has to digest all the junk I'm putting in it.

gumboot 03-15-2010 03:39 PM

Step away from the baked goods! ;)

What's that saying... "Nothing tastes as good as feeling thin does". Or something like that.

Don't let it get in the way of your long term goals. :hug:

Mary49 03-16-2010 08:17 AM

Thank you all for the thoughtful suggestions and support! I'm feeling more determined already! Today's my day off, so I'll plan and shop for several days worth of healthy foods.

@PeanutsMom-hope you feel better soon!

@Eliana-that two-year-old is being sent to her room!:mad:

@Trazey, Robin, and Saef- you're right! I'm entitled to good health, and to finding healthy ways to comfort myself.

@NebraskaLady-I never thought of it that way, that eating junk makes it harder for the body to heal. That thought should really help me to resist eating 'comfort food'

@Gumboot--"Step away from the baked goods!" LOL! I love it!! I think I will make this my new mantra :)