Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Wink Ok...ok! I take it back! (HIIT and hunger)

In another thread I posted that exercise doesn't make me hungry. And most of the time that's true! My weight routine and lengthy cardio days do not make a difference with my hunger.

But doing HIIT makes me ravenous! Or at least it is doing that today. I had a really good session this morning and am so hungry. I've been trying to feed the monster by grazing on my pre-planned foods, eating half of my snacks an hour apart. This way I'm taking in the same calories, just spread apart.

But I just finished my lunch and I feel like I didn't even eat. Sheesh.

I sure better have a good weigh in tomorrow! LOL! I'm expecting a 20 lb drop!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Ugh, Eliana...
That's what happened to me earlier in the week after a huge PT session when I was really sore. It passed after 2 days, but honestly, I think my body was telling me to feed it. Repairing muscle must take work. Next time, (tonight) I'm going to feed myself a little extra if I get that sore. Life's too short.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

After a PT session huh? Interesting. Maybe it is muscle repair. I hate to hear you might sore. PT is a necessary evil sometimes.

I just ate an extra apple and took a walk. The hunger has fled. For now anyway. Threatened the monster with MORE exercise...LOL!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
After a PT session huh? Interesting. Maybe it is muscle repair. I hate to hear you might sore. PT is a necessary evil sometimes.

I just ate an extra apple and took a walk. The hunger has fled. For now anyway. Threatened the monster with MORE exercise...LOL!
No, wrong PT... not physical therapy. Personal trainer. She absolutely KICKED MY BUTT last week, my quads hurt for 4 days. The next two days I was just so hungry I could scream-- not like normal uber hungry, but real "feed me" hunger. I ignored it.

Glad to hear your hunger fled...
Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Of course, I should have taken note of where I was. LOL! I work with PT's and OT's of the medical variety so that's where my mind goes first. Whoops!

I'd love to have a PT. They are able to push us far better than we push ourselves. I push myself with cardio but less so with strength training.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A couple of tidbits from my own experience.

1. I get REALLY DEHYDRATED doing HIIT. So if I don't drink a ton of water afterward, I get hungry.
2. I get really FEED ME hungry when my muscles are sore or my exertion was a lot higher. I add an extra snack. If I am hungry-hungry, I eat something. I figure my body is trying to tell me it needs a bit more fuel.
3. I try to plan HIIT days on slightly higher calorie days, because it does burn more, and thus makes me hungrier.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #7  
Calorie counter

I just don't want to run into the trap of folks who don't lose weight with exercise because they're consuming all their hunger-from-exercise calories. It does seem like my body is trying to tell me something though. And I love HIIT because it burns more. I have other reasons for loving it, but that's probably the number two reason.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
A couple of tidbits from my own experience.

1. I get REALLY DEHYDRATED doing HIIT. So if I don't drink a ton of water afterward, I get hungry.
2. I get really FEED ME hungry when my muscles are sore or my exertion was a lot higher. I add an extra snack. If I am hungry-hungry, I eat something. I figure my body is trying to tell me it needs a bit more fuel.
3. I try to plan HIIT days on slightly higher calorie days, because it does burn more, and thus makes me hungrier.
Thanks for weighing in on this. I really suffered for a couple of days last week, and I kept looking at my food log thinking "I'm on target for calories, what is the problem here?" I don't want to go through that again.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

OK, my average hour of cardio burns, according to my heart rate monitor, 650 or so calories (I'm intense to begin with). Bump that to doing HIIT (30 min HIIT followed by 30 min steady state), and the HRM usually says I'm burning 950-1000 calories. So if I eat an apple or even a bigger snack (let's say a low carb whole wheat tortilla with 1 tbsp of peanut butter and half a sliced apple for 200 VERY FILLING calories), and I'm still burning 100 calories more than I would on steady state, but I'm not starving.

You don't have to eat it ALL back, but in my experience, if I don't eat when my body is genuinely chew-an-arm-off hungry, I stall, and more than that, I'm grouchy and hungry. Oh, and my gains exercise wise (lift more, run faster, run longer, etc) tend to stall out.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Ahh....hadn't considered all that. It's another all-things-in-moderation.

All you have to do is threaten me with a stall and I'm all ears! LOL!