Ow ow ow

• So I did something to my neck (and I really wish I new what, so I could never do it again) and have been in some serious pain the last couple of days. The chiropractor says I have a pinched nerve in my neck that's radiating down my arm, shoulder, and back. All I know is that everything is sore and achy and tight and it hurts to turn my head.

Forget working out - even just walking hurts. I'm icing and taking pain killers (neither of which help all that much) and just waiting to feel better. It sucks to realize that after all I've done to improve my health and my body, there are still things that are completely out of my control. I keep thinking that there must be something I can do to make it better, but I can't even do stretching until the swelling goes down and things get a little better.

So for now I'm just sitting (for short periods of time), lying down (if I can find a comfortable position), and hoping that I'm going to feel well enough to go into work for at least part of the day - although my boss is awesome and said not to worry about it. Mostly I'm trying to avoid the pity party. (As you can see, I'm failing.) Ow.

Lisa
  • I am so sorry to hear this. Take it easy as you heal. Be kind to yourself.

Yes, it stinks when you are working hard at healthy eating and healthy living and you get sidelined with an injury.

Remember = pain isn't cured with food. I struggle with this. But, it's true.
  • Oh my! I hope you feel better soon!
  • I had that happen. It was awful. I had to learn to sleep on my back and be more ergonomically correct at my desk. The PT gave me some neck exercises. (The one where you push your neck back like you are trying to give yourself a double chin.) That, advil, rest and time and back to good!

Take care of yourself!
  • Feel better soon!
  • I hope you get to feeling better soon. I hate it when I pinch a nerve.
  • Thanks, everyone. After two days off from work, I'm feeling a bit better, although I'm still having a lot of OW moments.

Quote: Remember = pain isn't cured with food.
    Ha, so true. And I don't know why, but on the way back from the doctor on Tuesday all I wanted was baked goods. I haven't used food to deal with emotions in a long while, so it was funny how strongly the urge hit when it was physical pain I was dealing with. I ended up stopping at Panera and getting a muffie (that's what they call the stand-alone tops of muffins). I don't regret it at all, because for the last couple of days the pain's been bad enough that it's made me nauseous.

Bodies are weird.

Lisa