How is this even possible?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • How is it possible to eat 800 calories, perform HIIT, and GAIN 1.5 pounds?! I mean, how is that even possible?

I don't care if the argument is eat more calories or eat fewer calories (Ha!), how is that even bloody possible?

And just because I know it will come up, I didn't intend to eat 800 calories yesterday. Call it a slip up. Most people trying to lose weight have a hard time with over eating...I have a hard time with under eating. I feel bad enough already.

ETA: I sat at 198.4 for 11 days, then went to 199 then today 199.8.
  • I know, very frustrating! Any chance your TOM is on its way, or here? It could be water retention, I'm sure it'll be gone tomorrow. I know exactly how you feel, but I think alot has to do with being a girl - annoying I know, but it seems we all have the same problems with that dang scale!! your doing awesome BTW!!! I have noticed your progress more than once, and if your like me....HEY You're still in onderland!!!!!
  • sounds like you are probably dehydrated - going that low in calories likely meant you didn't get much water from food that you'd normally get, plus with all that activity too, your body is holding onto every drop.

CHUG the water today - get in TONS, and I'm predicting a whoosh tomorrow!
  • Nope, no TOM in sight. And will I be in Onerderland tomorrow?

Thanks for trying. I appreciate the words of encouragement so, so, so much because I'm kinda beating myself up at the moment.
  • Quote: sounds like you are probably dehydrated - going that low in calories likely meant you didn't get much water from food that you'd normally get, plus with all that activity too, your body is holding onto every drop.

CHUG the water today - get in TONS, and I'm predicting a whoosh tomorrow!
    I drank TONS yesterday! I cut myself off at 8:00 so I wouldn't pee all night.
  • The water seems to play a bigger part than I ever would have imagined.I don't think it actually makes you lose weight.... it just evens out the peaks and valleys so that you can see more gradual progress.
  • Hang tough kiddo. I thinks I see a big whoosh headed your way...
  • Maybe your body is just tired? Have you been getting plenty of sleep? I noticed sometimes when I am sticking to my diet and to my exercise routine the weight won't come down. The strange thing is if I usually get a really long night of sleep when I wake up in the morning the weights down a little bit.

Has your exercise routine been the same for a while? I am not sure what HIIT is. Your body might be adjusting to your exercise routine. The human body is really efficient at adjusting to things. You may want to do some new exercises or exercise different parts of your body.

I hope it goes down. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • One pound could be from anything. Retaining water...retaining poop... Our bodies are weird.

Hugs, sweetie!
  • Yes, logically I know it's nothing and I'm quite certain I haven't gained fat. But nothing in this equation makes sense. I've been drinking enough water, taking additional fiber, eating low calories, I have a well established workout routine that I feel is enough but not too much, I get plenty of rest, I'm not stressed, I balance carbs and protein and fiber.

You guys all understand. Weight loss is not linear.

I just got off a plateau. Am I going to be a person who plateaus, loses 4 lbs, plateaus, loses 4 lbs?

This right here is why I gave up before. It was too hard with no results. This time I have two things in my favor....one, I promised myself I'd give it a year. I WILL make that goal. Two, it's not too hard this time. I've kept my exercise in check at a reasonable level and calorie counting is very easy for me.

I just hate the way my body reacts to weight loss attempts. It does not reward my efforts.
  • If you are up 1.5 lbs from the day before and only ate 800cal it is highly unlikely that ANY of that 1.5lbs is fat. You should not weigh everyday. As women we fluctuate in weight by the hour. SOOOO many things come in to play there's no way to know exactly what it is from but that it is likely water retention. There are like a million reasons to retain water. Stress, exhaustion, muscle injury, building muscle, dehydration, under eating and over exercising.

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. It is unrealistic (even though i know how you feel) to measure on day of water fluctuation as some sort of failure. You are doing great and have made great progress. Maybe try only weighing once a week. Same time in the AM every time so there is less fluctuation.

You are dong great. Don't let this frustration keep you down.
  • What you see on the scale today isn't what you ate yesterday, that hasn't metabolised yet. Typically it's the day before or even the day before that that shows up on the scale. Don't be suprised though if it goes up again...since you are at such a low cal level your body is reserving everything and your metabolism has slowed way down.
  • I wish there was a little metabolism dial we could see and say "Yep, eat more" or "Oh, best cut back".

I don't like guessing. *sigh*

Thanks so much for putting up with my whines today! I really need to be able to vent this. I'm feeling better now.
  • Quote: How is it possible to eat 800 calories, perform HIIT, and GAIN 1.5 pounds?! I mean, how is that even possible?

I don't care if the argument is eat more calories or eat fewer calories (Ha!), how is that even bloody possible?

And just because I know it will come up, I didn't intend to eat 800 calories yesterday. Call it a slip up. Most people trying to lose weight have a hard time with over eating...I have a hard time with under eating. I feel bad enough already.

ETA: I sat at 198.4 for 11 days, then went to 199 then today 199.8.

That's why weight loss teaches us patience and humility.

I'll never forget a day when I got up early, weighed myself, went back to sleep, got up again 3 hours later, did my business, figured that since nothing had gone in and something had gone out, I'd weigh again. Weighed myself again, and was up 1.8 lbs. WTF???

It's illogical. But it happens.
  • I was going to say, if the scale makes you crazy---step away. Concentrate on behaviors, not results for a while. That scale can't hold out forever--you're stronger than it is!!

Hang in there!!!

and honestly, lose 4, plateau, lose 4, plateau isn't the worst thing that can happen, is it?