3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Has anyone tried cycling class before? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/195800-has-anyone-tried-cycling-class-before.html)

uclr0028 03-02-2010 10:15 PM

Has anyone tried cycling class before?

I just got trained in to on the basics of cycling. I am taking a class for the first time tomorrow. My instructor said that you can burn about 2000 calories per class. Has anyone else tried cycling\spinning class before. I am kinda nervous which is strange for me as I am one that is all about the classes.

slimsilhouette2b 03-02-2010 10:19 PM

I have done it one time and honestly I loved it and it was hard as all get out!!!! I only did it once becuase I wasn't ready to take that step and it was too much for me at the time. I'd love to try it again though!! Just no places around here to do it.

Good luck!! I want to hear how it goes. :)

Couch 03-02-2010 11:00 PM

I do a class once a week. I burn about 450cal in the 45min class (according to my heartrate monitor), which is pretty good for someone my size. You might burn a bit more, but I think 2000cal is an exaggeration.

Sometimes I like it, some days I detest it, but it is a good workout. You might find the seat uncomfortable for the first class, but I found the second class fine. Make sure you get to your first class early and get the instructor to show you how to set up the bike.

possiblesuccess 03-03-2010 01:08 AM

I have taken a spin class before...I honestly did not like it all that much. It's a great workout, harder than all get out...but I was not to hip on the idea of looking in the same direction for an hour. I love classes because I like the idea of running around for an hour doing alot of different things in that time. I will say though, that my butt hurt so much after that class...and it hurt for days! Good workout, just not my cup of tea. I hope that its a class you enjoy though.

Lyria 03-03-2010 01:16 AM

I do Spin/RPM/Cycle classes regularly (4 - 5 a week).

LOVE it, highly recommend them to anyone. Hated the first one was addicted by the third :)

Its been awesome for my legs and bum and even my stomach and triceps and fantastic for cardio strength/endurance. I wear my heart rate monitor and can peak it up to 95% max rate on the high intensity tracks. In a 45 minute class I burn between 450 and 550 cals. Your instructor is probably pulling your leg on the 2000 cals, unless they were talking kilojoules lol. But even so I know people who've burnt up to 700+ or so in a class (again, HRM).

Good luck! :)

uclr0028 03-03-2010 06:19 AM

The calories is probably right about 450 to 550 but that is still alot of calories. I went last night to get my intro to the class from the instructor. I was only there for 5 minutes and my legs are a little sore today. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. I dont know if I am going to be able to walk. LOL

JayEll 03-03-2010 06:35 AM

A trainer I talked to about spin class said not to crank up the setting as high as the instructor tells you to--at least not at first. I had a friend who took a class--and she is a distance bicyclist--and it was really hard for her. I decided I didn't need to do this kind of class.

Jay

Eliana 03-03-2010 07:54 AM

I had a love/hate relationship with it. It was a great workout and I felt powerful afterward. Getting through it was killer!! What I didn't like was that I turn red as a beet when I workout and the instructor was all over me, probably making sure I wasn't going to pass out. I do NOT like being the center of attention...at all.

time2lose 03-03-2010 09:20 AM

I was going to take a class but the gym recommended that I work out on the bike by myself for awhile first. I think they were nicely trying to tell me that I could not handle it and they were probably right. I am doing 30 minutes on the lowest setting and it wipes me out.

Slashnl 03-03-2010 11:19 AM

I love spin and usually do 2 classes per week. While doing the class, I feel like I'm going to die, but it is such an incredible workout. I started it at 287 pounds and it was so very difficult for me, but I've gotten much better and I attribute most of my weight loss to doing that class. It still is a tough class, but I honestly don't know of anything that pushes me more than that class, and that does as much good as spin!

Good luck!

Summerblue 03-03-2010 11:19 AM

i would DIE ...right there on the bike! but someday, I would LOVE to do it!

MamaP 03-03-2010 11:42 AM

I did a spinning class a few times - I was very proud of myself for getting through the entire class. Even though I wasn't going at their intensity the entire time, I continued to pedal throughout the entire class. The thing I hated though was I DO NOT like doing any kind of workout in public and everyone put their bikes in a circle so everyone could see everyone. Even though I knew they weren't, I felt like everyone was staring at me. Just made me too uncomfortable. Also, after the first day, my behind was so sore from the seat that it was extremely painful to sit on the bike (I even went out and bought myself one of the padded seats). I think I went three or four times before I decided it just wasn't something I could not do at this weight and fitness level. Maybe eventually I will try it again.

JustBeckyV 03-03-2010 11:52 AM

I think it sounds like it could be fun!! lol I agree I don't think you can burn that many calories but it's still got to be a great work out and burn a lot of calories! Hope you enjoy!

calluna 03-03-2010 12:18 PM

I have thought about it - I use a stationary bike daily, and I'll burn 400-500 in the 45-60 minute range. I use a range of settings (speed interval, strength interval, cross training, etc). This is a good thing, since better weather will have me actually going places on a real bike.

Given the similarity in calorie burn and the added benefit of workout variety, I'm not sure what the benefit would be and so haven't done it.

Eliana 03-03-2010 12:23 PM

Oh, MamaP reminded me...

You might want to invest in a gel seat. Lots of people use them. It makes the experience a lot more tolerable! It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better!