Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #1  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Default struggling with the 215-230

I've really been struggling getting under 215. I get so frustrated, and before I know it, I'm creeping right back up to the 230's. For those who don't know me, I'm Angi, a single mom of 2 young children, I go to school full time and work full time. I started on this forum back when I only had a 1 yr old, and now my children are 4 and 6. I've really struggled to lose the initial 80 lb loss I experienced and I think I got into a serious comfort zone. As if I had it all under control and was immune to the temptations. Again. Meh. In the time, this winter, that 15 lbs has crept back on, I've helped my sister in law lose 50 lbs. Why? Because, I know what works and I can help other people so easily, but when it comes to myself, it's like I don't hear the words coming out of my mouth.

I know I've been under additional stress, waiting to hear about the nursing program, if I've been accepted and if so into the accelerated program, or am I going to use my fall back plan and change majors. I graduated with honours and double degrees in December, Liberal Arts and Health Sciences. Which is ironic if you think about it. I know the science behind weight loss and gain and yet, I seem to think I'm immune to it? We moved as well in January, to a bigger home, so the bills have increased, but we needed it. The kids need the space to have their bikes and scooters and roller skates outside. We enjoy the new community, we have space to walk around our neighbourhood. I work so hard to make sure my kids get the exersize they need, I keep fruits, veggies and cheese wedges available to them, I limit their sweet and soda intake, meanwhile, I'm sucking down a Dt Dr Pepper and I -know- the message that sends. Our school system here is actually really good about backing parents up with healthy food choices, making sure kids get at least 60 minutes of physical activity everyday in school. My 4 yr old, pre-k student had a health focused month in January and he's bursting with ideas on how we can all be more healthy. So, I've laid a great foundation with them, that I started at birth and never wavered from, and people hear my kids say things like, "If you eat McDonalds once in a while, it's ok, but if you eat it all the time, its bad for your heart, it makes you fat and it makes you unhealthy", then they look at me, and they HAVE to be wondering, 'how in the world did she instill this in them, when she doesnt follow it?' and my biggest issue as a child was always my parents hypocritical actions. The old, "Do as I say, not what I do", type thinking and I can recall saying, I would never do that to my kids, yet, here I am, still struggling to just get under 200 lbs. I did manage to get down to 207 last summer, for about a week. I know its possible and I know I have some emotional things I need to face that rear themselves as my weight lowers and I have contacted the school counselors for personal counseling with these issues and I'm working through them.

I don't know what the point of this post was, other than I need to be more active over here. I do so much better when I have a network of people who have similiar goals, stories and things they're working through. I can talk to myself all I want in the shower, I can journal it all out, but until you can talk to someone who has been there, who is there, who knows what it's like to get upset and immediately head to the cabinets and finds themselves rummaging before it hits them that they're falling into old patterns, it's sometimes difficult to see the forest for the trees. So, to myself, I promise to begin taking the initial small actions that helped me lose the initial 80 lbs. Cut out the soda, the sweet tea and replace it with water and unsweet tee.

Thanks for reading, I know it was kind of all over the place, but I knew if I edited it, it wouldnt be what I needed to get out, to have it out of me, and out in the world so I can focus more on the choices and less on the stresses.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #2  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

It feels good to say it, doesn't it?

It's easier to help other people than it is to help yourself...

weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/282/145

Height: 5' 5''

Well, I haven't had the great weight loss success you've had so far (congrats), but I can certainly relate to not being able to budge past 215. It's like my body is comfortable there and no matter what I do, the needle just tilts toward 213 at the most then *boing* it bounces back up. It's SOOO frustrating. I know I'm not doing all I could to get it down so I can't complain too much. But, I long for the days when I could crash diet for a little while and drop 10. Ugh! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Hang in there and keep going! Maybe we'll both see a difference soon.
ThinkinThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Would taking a scale break help? Focus on staying on plan, but don't weigh in for a few weeks, and you'll be safely below the 215 mark by then! A few people tried that approach when they got close to being below 200 and it seemed helpful.

I'm not sure I'd have the will power myself! lol! But I do think it's a good idea.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I'm not really sure what to say as it seems you needed a venting outlet more than advice, but I really wanted to offer some hugs. Stress can do wonders to our efforts. Are you taking enough time for you? I know how hard that can be between kids, hubby, school, work, etc.. but it REALLY needs to be done. It doesn't have to be a lot. It could just be 20 mins of you time, in a room alone, no interruptions, headphones on, etc.. Even just that little bit of time to recharge can give you what you need to clear your mind and emotions.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote