Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Can't get out of this funk!

I'm struggling. My weight is going up and down. My mood is low and I can't find my motivation anywhere. I'm in a cold climate and the cold, gloomy weather isn't helping any. Is anyone else out there struggling too? Anyone got any tips how to snap out of it?

Thanks!
Joni
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

The cold is making everything harder it seems, weight loss and otherwise! I feel like everyone around me is super crabby--warm up already!

I've been having a bit of a funk too--I think that when I get this way, I have to decide to be in a good mood--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Act to other people like you're enthusiatic, it may rub off on them, and then rub back off on you!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #3  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

Funks are common this time of year.

The fake it 'til you make it advice is good.

Also change 1 thing. Anything (as long as it is healthy ). Add spices (literally). New excersise, new hobby, new interest--whatever.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Mmm...just do it? I don't know. Change up the routine? Buy new smaller clothes you want to get into? (I like to do that at the thrift store) Take a walk.

I love winter, so I don't tend to have this problem. I find every day to be new and exciting with the changes my body is making. I love trying new exercises and reaching new fitness goals. I guess that's my motivation.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #5  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I was writing in my journal yesterday that I was in the doldrums. I'm not usually one for wallowing in internal grayness and gloom, so it was pretty noticeable. I'm sure part of it is the time of year (although we have more daylight again).

So I decided to take today off for mental health and do some things I've been wanting to do. It's work, but there won't be much disturbance and I know I'll feel good about myself afterward.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I have found that if I take my vitamins, (vitamin D especially this time of year) it REALLY helps. Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin and even though the best source is the good ol' sun, supplements really can help. I have also heard that women of color living in northern climates are especially lacking in this important vitamin (D), according to an Oprah show I saw once. Anyway, it surely wouldn't hurt as long as you follow the labeling instructions...or better yet talk to your Doc.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-26-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #7  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm working on faking it until I make it today.
Crushed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

how are you today? yep, the winter doldrums are tough.

here's a couple of things that help me

1. rent a comedy (or find one on tv)
2. find something fun to do with the kids you haven't done in a while (out of your routine)
3. remind yourself that spring is around the corner (it really is), and write a short list of stuff you want to do once the weather gets better (put it on your fridge or somewhere where you'll see it)
4. eating healthily and exercising will make you feel better mentally (good thing to keep in mind). The vitamin D thing that Lori mentioned might even have a significant impact on you. You'd be surprised.
5. call somebody, a family member or friend, who makes you feel good (or better yet, invite him/her over or go out with him/her)
6. talk to hubby about your feeling down, sometimes just getting it out there can be a relief.
7. you're not alone
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

vitamin D3 supplements
exercise
as much sunlight as possible
a full spectrum light for 20 min in the morning

Those are the only things that keep me halfway sane in Jan and Feb.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote