Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 06:48 PM   #1  
hot mom wanna be!

Talking Shopping at "regular" stores

I have to tell you all this and I figured if anyone would understand you guys would. When I started losing weight I wore size 26 jeans and they were snug! That was one reason I started losing weight. I mean, what's next a 28?? Thats the biggest size at Lane Bryant and other plus size sections only go to 24. So anyway, I love to shop at Old Navy and "regular" size stores but I could only buy things there for other people. But now I wear size 22 and can fit into some 20's, so I thought I would try on a pair of jeans at Old Navy (size 20) and low and behold--they fit!! I was floored. They are a wee bit too snug for my taste but I could get them on and zip them up!! I picture myself buying clothes there real soon for the holidays only this time for myself. I dont think most people there realize what plus size people feel like shopping in a place like that. They take shopping for granted, and I dont think I ever will!!
Anyway-just thought I would share this with you. And if you didnt know about them going to size 20-you should check them out!

laura
Old 08-27-2002, 07:09 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Wow! With the commercials they show, I had no IDEA that Old Navy sells clothes up to size 20! I pretty much figured 10 or 12 was their top size.

That is so awesome, Laura! You've lost FOUR sizes! I'm looking forward to the day when I have finally lost just one. (I am still in 18's, but 19 lbs. lighter. I think it's because I was packing it in every which-way so I wouldn't have to buy a 20! )
Old 08-27-2002, 07:09 PM   #3  
JML
Success Story!!!

Hooray!! That must feel great! I don't know about you, but I am crossing over from plus-size to the other section, and I still can only bring myself to shop in stores that have plus sizes like JC Penney or Macy's. I still haven't walked into one of the smaller stores in the mall because I just assume I won't fit into anything. Actually I'm an 18, so I could, but I feel overwhelmed, floored, and stressed because I have too many choices now. I don;t know where to go. I'm used to not having choices. I know, it's a nice problem to have, but it;s still a problem just now. I haven't adjusted mentally to being a smaller size.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:42 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

yipppeeee yahOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! congratulations lorelei!! all that hard work is sure paying off..

and JML: i'm with you. the thought of shopping with the masses is overwhelming to me. so many choices!! where to start? so, i've already decided on a PLAN: when i finally get my weight stabilized [and i'm hoping it's about another 100 pounds, actually, slightly LESS than 100 pounds at this point
i'm going to one of the department stores and get a personal shopper!!

it's a free service most of them provide, and i KNOW i'll be so overwhelmed that i won't know where to start, and there will certainly be a spending limit!!! so, they can do the legwork, and i'll just make the effort to actually try things on.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:04 PM   #5  
JML
Success Story!!!

Personal shopper? I didn't know that was for anyone but the rich and famous. And that's free? Interesting idea.

I'm starting to be told by new people that I meet that I'm not fat, but I still feel really huge. I think my idea of what I look like is not really reflective of reality. Hard to say, but it will take a little time to get used to just being plain old overweight instead of very very overweight. I find I pick out clothes in the store and the ones I eyeball as my size are way too big.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:09 PM   #6  

Well congrats to you for being able to shop at Old Navy. It seems like such a small thing and yet... I bet it felt so good. I started this journey at a size 28 and a darn SNUG size 28. In fact, I first learned that Lane Bryant only went to size 28 when trying on some dress pants there in a size 28 that were a little too snug and looked on the rack... suddenly, I realized that not only did I shop in a fat lady store, but I also wore the biggest size they had. It was sobering as you can well imagine.

I'm 30 some pounds down now which for me, has only been one size as I am still wearing a size 26. I know I've heard other people lose as little as 10 pounds and go down a size or so but I guess my body just doesn't work that way, LOL.

I hope you will be shopping in all the stores soon and I'll look forward to checking out Old Navy next summer (hopefully!)
Old 08-28-2002, 03:58 AM   #7  
missaprylj

Hey... consider this. At least you don't go shopping with friends who are size 0. I have 3 best friends, one is a size 0, and the other two are about a size 10. It's EXTREMELY frustrating!! It drives me crazy anyway. The good thing is that now i can get into a size 20, so that means i get get jeans at two stores in our mall, Old Navy and Lane Bryant! HOORAY! By the time I'm done, i might even be going into American Eagle with little Miss Size Zero. (getting a still much-larger size however, lol.) I'm looking forward to it anyway. IN fact, that's one of my biggest reasons for wanting to lose weight. Peace, everyone. -Apryl

Old 08-28-2002, 10:17 AM   #8  

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! That is fabulous!!

Old 08-28-2002, 10:38 AM   #9  
hot mom wanna be!

I just knew you guys would understand! It was such a goal for me to be able to shop there. I buy tons of stuff for my son at Old Navy. I even have had employees there recognize me ( a bad sign I am there too much!! ) So now I will be able to get some stuff for me too. I never thought about what JML said about going to stores and having too much to choose from but she is right! Pretty soon (maybe by the end of this year) I could probably shop at any store at the mall instead of "just" Lane Bryant, Sears, and other larger stores. I havent darkened the doors of Express, Lerners, Gap, etc.. in so long how will I be able to act?? Oh well what a problem, huh?? This kind of stuff keeps me going.
happy wednesday all!
laura
Old 08-28-2002, 01:28 PM   #10  

Lorelei that is just great! I just went down a size a couple of weeks ago (still snug, but fit). I know how exciting it is! I hope that you enjoy your new shopping experiences!
Chunky Spice - you'll get there, keep chugging along!
Old 08-28-2002, 01:56 PM   #11  

Congrats, Laura! That's great

I also know exactly how you all are feeling. I started this journey at a TIGHT size 26. Realistically speaking, I should have been wearing a 28 Now, I am very comfortably fitting into a size 20 pants (a tight size 18) & a size 20 or 22 top (thanks to my large chest & the fact that for some reason my upper body just HOLDS on to the fat more!). I knew that Old Navy carried up to size 20, and even though I am fitting into a size 20 great now, I am scared to death to go in there. I have never really shopped in a "regular" store before. What in the world would I do in there?!?! Not to mention, even though I know I am wearing a size 20 now, I have this phobia that their size 20 clothes wouldn't fit me & I would be embarrassed to be in there trying on clothes when they don't even fit me! (not sure if that makes any sense to you all... I can barely make sense of it! )

So anyway, the prospect of shopping in "normal" stores & not just Lane Bryant is scarey to me as well, but an exciting fear & problem to have!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:07 PM   #12  

Congratulations on your size loss, but I have to admit that you guys confuse me in this department. LOL Our sizes here must be a lot different than yours. Here, a 6-8 is about the smallest you can get in most shops. Before I lost any weight I was a 20 (at 260.5lbs), now I'm a 14 (168.5). A woman I work with weighs around 105lbs and she's 6/8. That's why when I read your posts about someone being a size 0, it is quite scary!!!

Karen
Old 08-29-2002, 04:12 AM   #13  
missaprylj

LOL!! Well, my size zero friend is 5'7" and about 115 lbs. (Not anorexic or anything, I SWEAR... just thin.) I find it ridiculous that there IS such a size. So, do you guys ever get a good laugh out of thinking that, once we're all done here, Lane Bryant's might be going out of business? LMAO! Peace everyone, peace. -Apryl

Old 08-30-2002, 08:48 PM   #14  
hot mom wanna be!

Apryl-Yeah, poor Lane Bryant, what will they do when we all get skinny?? (ok I know I am dreaming with the skinny part-to me a 12 is skinny!! )

Karen-I think the sizes must be about the same. I am 245 and wear a 20. I know when I was 175-- I was a 14. So I figure the sizes are the same. However, we do have stores that sell size 0, 1, 2, and 4. Believe it or not. There are some anorexic looking people here in America. There are way more overweight people than the size 1's though.

Hey Snowball-we are about the same. I should have been wearing a size 28 too but I couldnt do it-just admitting to needing that would have killed me then. My 26's were way snug!!
I did buy those size 20's today at Old Navy. You should go there! I promise you will be fine! Even by some off chance the 20 jeans didnt fit-just tell the dressing room clerk thanks (like you are gonna buy it) and just put it back on the shelf. Nobody has to know anything. I have to admit, I feel a bit odd actually buying stuff for me there. I went by the Gap and they only go to 16 so it will be a long time before I darken their door!!

thanks everyone for your encouragement-it really means a lot to me!!
laura
Closed Thread