Need some silly reassurance

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • When I had lost 10 lbs, I thought it wasn't enough and admired people who'd lost 15 lbs. When I got to 15, pish-posh, but boy folks who'd lost over 20 were really doing well. I thought 30 was really something...until I got there.

So...here I am...sheepishly asking...37 IS something to be proud of...right?

I guess when you have 100 lbs total to lose, it's hard to ever know you're really getting somewhere. I mean...I still have a lot of fat to go. I'm so proud to be in one-derland...but at 5'4", that's not as big an accomplishment as for someone taller.
  • It's a HUGE accomplishment! You've lost more than me, so of course, I totally understand what you're feeling.

It's all individual--you lose weight alone, it's a personal responsiblity, and the results are personal, individual. You did it! That's amazing. It's all relative. Good job. Part of it is that you just didn't have as much as some to lose! You can't beat yourself for not letting yourself get higher than 235, right?!
  • Quote:
    When I had lost 10 lbs, I thought it wasn't enough and admired people who'd lost 15 lbs. When I got to 15, pish-posh, but boy folks who'd lost over 20 were really doing well. I thought 30 was really something...until I got there.
    You sound like me! We can be our own worse critic but 37 pounds lost definitely IS something to be proud of!
  • I remember being VERY jealous of my sister when she had lost 35 lbs. It's a big deal.
  • here at 3FC it is easy to find examples of people who have lost alot of weight. But when you go out in the real world you find some people who have lost 10 or 20 pounds ... and that is it.

To lose 37 pounds is truly an accomplishment -- if you look around in your world you will find that there are very few who can say that.
  • Its a huge huge huge accomplishment!!!!
  • 37 pounds is AMAZING! You're doing so well and such an inspiration to those of us just starting out That's almost 40% of your goal. Fantastic!
  • It's funny, some times I'll see someone's pounds lost avatar, I don't know - 50 lb, 80 lbs lost or whatever and I'll think, "geez that's a LOT of weight". But in terms of me, I never feel that way. It's odd. I guess I just don't think of me in those terms. Maybe it IS not giving credit where credit's due. Hmmm, something else to ponder.

Anyway, back to you.

37 lbs IS an incredible start. You should be proud. You should feel good. You should feel accomplished.

That 37 lbs down should show you that you DEFINITELY HAVE THE ABILITY to lose the weight. ALL OF THE WEIGHT. That *number* should no longer frighten you. You keep chipping away and chipping away at those numbers and watch them dwindle.

I'm telling you there was a time, when I was so into the throes of losing (I LOVED the losing portion of my journey), it wouldn't have mattered if I had to lose 165 lbs, 265 lbs or more. Because you see, there's no way that you can't lose ALL of the weight - provided you don't stop. That you continue. That you keep on going and going and going and persevering and persevering and persevering. It's yours for the taking. It's in your control. You've got the power.
  • Are you kidding me? 37 lbs is amazing! Like OP have mentioned, look around you in the real world. Eliana, you won't find many people who have lost 37 lbs and CONTINUE to lose! And now is the part of the journey when people around you are going to really start noticing and commenting on your weight loss. Get ready!
  • I'm so glad I asked. I almost didn't. You guys get it.

Yep, out in the real world I don't know many people who have lost great amounts of weight. And I too see avatars and tickers and think OTHERS are doing great no matter the poundage, but we're harder on ourselves aren't we?
  • 37 pounds is definitely something to be proud of . Congratulations !
  • Definitely an accomplishment to be proud of. Celebrate it!

Like robin said, funny how we are hardest on ourselves. I think it is often a girl thing - we beat ourselves up and hold ourselves to such a high standard. We need to celebrate our own achievements the way we celebrate the one of others.

You are rocking!
  • Ask yourself if it would be a big deal to put ON the 37 pounds you have lost! Would it?
  • Yep, it's a big deal. I remember when I had lost 37ish pounds. I was finally into the 200's and I felt amazing. Although no one else could see it, or feel it, I was on top of the world. I had already started sleeping MUCH better, I could breath better, my puffy feet and ankles already started looking normal, my puffy face and eyes looked better....so yep, 37 pounds was sure a big deal to me. You, starting at 100 pounds less than I, should really be feeling the love...
  • 37 pounds is huge!!!!

And getting into onederland better be a huge accomplishment for someone short... because it is to me!!!