Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #31  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyyellowfeet View Post
I'm ELCA Lutheran. We're even more "Catholic Light" as the saying goes; I also attended a very liberal church at home.

That being said, the trend in my home church has been to give up something that leads to taking something good on. So this year, I'm trying to give up my excuses and take one more dedication to my work-outs.

Yes, me too! For our ELCA Lutheran Church, it's not about giving something up, it's about doing something positive...If you have to give something up in the process, than so be it.

Last year I had already given up all my vices, so I decided to make it my Lenten sacrifice to attend every Lenten service, that included Ash Wednesday, every Sunday, every Wednesday service, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday. A whole lotta church. IT was awesome. The Pastor did a sermon each week on the seven deadly sins, concentrating on one each week. It was very enlightening.

This year I am going to do it again, but I'm also adding in a few more positive things. First my plan is to exercise at least 20 minutes each day, (I'm talking real excercise, not my normal activities). I am also giving up all refined sugar. If it's in a product I'm not eating it. I'm hoping it will help me get over the addictive urges I've had since Christmas on the crack like substance. I don't plan on binging on sugar come Easter Sunday. I'm hoping to keep it out of my life for good.

ETA: Oh and the scale....well, I hate it and I have become a slave to it, after I did so well, (for months and months) just using it as a tool. SO, I'm back to weekly weighing. I weighed this morning, and my new weigh day is Wednesday...until Easter, then I'll re-evaluate.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I've decided the best thing I can do for Lent is find my way back to church. I've been Lutheran all my life and that's what I intend to stay. Unfortunately, the Lutheran church I attended for several years became a big disappointment a few years ago and I just kind of quit going. I had been a church council member and the attitude and decisions of the council went against everything Christian I believe in.

So my goal for Lent is to find myself a church. Find my way back. Feels like the right thing to do.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #33  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I was raised catholic and went through confirmation.....I'm now a practicing pagan (not classified in anything particular, more of a nature thing, do good towards others, etc). I don't really practice lent anymore but my children have questions about it since we just went through Mardi Gras so we are doing it this year (I want my children taught about all religions so they can decide for themselves on what they want to follow).

Anyways, I'm giving up cursing. I have evolved quite a potty mouth & I don't want to be that way anymore.

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 02-17-2010 at 01:15 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I'm a Catholic (btw, I think it's great if people want to observe the season and they're not Catholic!)and I always struggle with finding something to give up that has some meaning. Like some others mentioned, I like better the idea of picking up a good habit too rather than dropping a bad one for just 40 days. Although, I've got plenty of bad ones to drop!

So, this year I've decided to give up gossiping and hitting my snooze button! But, instead of not hitting the snooze, I'm going to use that time in the morning for meditation, saying a rosary, reading the daily scripture. Whatever I need to get focused for the day.

I hope everyone has a good Lenten season leading up to Easter (my favorite holiday!!)
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I'm giving up pizza. I was planing on making February pizza-free month but I kinda cheated the other day. I had bread sticks and pizza sauce from papa johns. I had previously established with myself that pretzels with marinara qualify as pizza for this purpose, and really bread sticks are the same thing in a different shape. So I'm starting over, pizza (and pretzel/breadstick) free for lent. As someone on the fist page mentioned, this is a highly dangerous binge-food for me.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
Anyways, I'm giving up cursing. I have evolved quite a potty mouth & I don't want to be that way anymore.
One of the nurses I work with is doing this but she cheated all day so we convinced her to put a quarter in a jar everytime she curses during Lenten season and give the money to charity. We don't think she'll quit swearing but she's going to make a charity VERY happy in 40 days!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #37  

I'm a former Baptist minister. I'm no longer a Christian but many of the Christian traditions for me still have meaning. Lent was always a season of spiritual & self reflection; a time to reconnect with God and self. The point of giving up something always meant removing something from my life that got in the way of my connecting to the Divine. Some years, instead of giving up something, I would add a practice that connected me more deeply to Spirit.

All of this to say that though I am no longer Christian, I am still practicing Lent. So this year I've given up TV. Good idea for my spiritual/emotional life. Hard on my eating life. We'll see how it goes!
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote