Old 02-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default I like lentils!

I like lentils! Who knew?! LOL! Would you believe I've NEVER had them before and yet would have said, "Nope, I don't like those." I heard they're one of the super foods for fiber packing in 9 grams in a serving. I've had some minor issues with constipation, so I thought I'd give them a try.

I cooked them in chicken broth and added them to brown rice. I can't believe how much I actually like them!

Are they salty or was that the chicken broth?

What do you think you don't like? Maybe we can help you like them.

Last edited by Eliana; 02-14-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #2  
CD3

S/C/G: 223/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Cabbage - well I like coleslaw but not cooked cabbage. Any ideas for cooking cabbage?
CD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

The salty was the chicken broth. Lentils are pretty mild in flavor on their own. There are different types; my favorite are the tiny, delicate orange variety. I don't really eat them anymore, since they are not low carb, but they are delicious.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
The salty was the chicken broth. Lentils are pretty mild in flavor on their own. There are different types; my favorite are the tiny, delicate orange variety. I don't really eat them anymore, since they are not low carb, but they are delicious.
I LOVE lentils, and I have some really terrific recipes for them-- but they are high in carbs and EASY for me to eat to much of...
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #5  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I LOVE all lentils and red are my favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD3 View Post
Cabbage - well I like coleslaw but not cooked cabbage. Any ideas for cooking cabbage?
Cooking cabbage and onions together over a low heat s l o w l y caramelizes them, making them sweet and delicious. I like it this way with a bit of coconut oil, salt and pepper. YUM!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #6  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD3 View Post
I fry mine and love it! I think it tastes sweet. Just heat a couple Tbsp of oil, shred the cabbage and stir fry it until you see the first specks of brown. You don't actually want to brown it.

Some people par boil it for two minutes first and Alton Brown adds sugar while boiling it. Then he fries it as suggested above. But I like it just as well without the added step and without the added sugar.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I sautee cabbage in just a dab of butter, then steam it with chicken broth & a sprinkle of sugar & pepper, & top it with carraway seeds at the end. Carraway seeds & cabbage is an amazing combination.

I love anything cabbage-y, in that vegetable family. I think it's my Slavic heritage.

As for lentils, I just made curried lentils the other day & used them as a bed underneath some baked cod fish. With a side of sauteed spinach.

I was looking at black beluga lentils in the store the other day & contemplating a splurge.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I sautee cabbage in just a dab of butter, then steam it with chicken broth & a sprinkle of sugar & pepper, & top it with carraway seeds at the end. Carraway seeds & cabbage is an amazing combination.

I love anything cabbage-y, in that vegetable family. I think it's my Slavic heritage.

As for lentils, I just made curried lentils the other day & used them as a bed underneath some baked cod fish. With a side of sauteed spinach.

I was looking at black beluga lentils in the store the other day & contemplating a splurge.
I love cabbage, and am looking for a good red cabbage recipe.

I always eat the plain little brown lentils... I swear I'd rather eat lentils than chocolate...
Old 02-15-2010, 02:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I love lentils and cabbage. I, too, carmelize the cabbage with onions in about 1 tbsp of margarine for half a head of cabbage + one big onion. I put lentils in my veggie soup. Of course, I put cabbage in my veggie soup, too. And onions. Hmmm. sensing a theme. Guess I eat the same stuff all the time!

So what makes Beluga lentils? Do they have caviar in them? We live in podunk Iowa. One kind of lentil. Light brown. Have to go to the city for colored ones. :-) Pathetic, huh?
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Saef - adding caraway seeds is how my dad cooked cabbage when I was a little girl. Thanks for such a good memory. Yes, it's delicious that way.

I like lentils too - I usually make a soup from them.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #11  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post

I always eat the plain little brown lentils... I swear I'd rather eat lentils than chocolate...
:rolf: Oh my! Now I don't think I'd ever go THAT far!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #12  

Height: 5ft6'

I used to think that I didn't like yams. Then last year at Christmas time I tried some. Now I eat them ALL the time. I love them. They are my new fav veggie. At Christmas they were un a dish with marshmallows but now I usualy eat them baked with just a little bit of S&P. Yumo!
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyElaine View Post
I used to think that I didn't like yams. Then last year at Christmas time I tried some. Now I eat them ALL the time. I love them. They are my new fav veggie. At Christmas they were un a dish with marshmallows but now I usualy eat them baked with just a little bit of S&P. Yumo!
Oh me too! I'm obsessed with yams! They're so pretty! I bake them, remove the skins, mash with a fork, and spray with butter-flavored spray. HEAVEN.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I had a "sprouted lentil" salad at a friend's house the other day. Adored it!

I like everything I think. I am not particularly fond of dried seaweed or beets however.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Traci, beluga lentils are black lentils that look very shiny when cooked & look like caviar. They aren't cheap. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to go to the city for them -- I'd bet you could order them online somewhere. (Impress the UPS guy when he shows up with the delivery & say in a lah-di-dah voice: "Ah, my beluga lentils have arrived!")

Personally, I like the French lentils, but I also make a lentil soup with some OJ in it that absolutely requires the little orange lentils.

Here is a thesaurus that talks about the different kinds & colors of lentils.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Lentils.html
saef is offline   Reply With Quote