Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/244/130

Height: 5'4"

Default TMI - Your Cycle and Eating

For once I have no drama as of yet today. (it's still early my ex has more than enough time left to try to aggrivate me) However I can't stop eating. Thankfully I don't have much here at work that is really bad to eat, but I can't stop eating. I got my period today (YIPPPEEE), and I'm wondering if that is why, or if I'm repressing something causing me to eat lol One of our Major systems is down at work and I can't do my job for the most part so that could be part of it too.

Also the Yippee part is because when I got to my fattest at 264 I stopped getting my period for 3 months. As soon as I changed my eating I got it after I lost 10lbs that first week of eating better. It was a little off, but now is my first regular cycle and it's back. Cramps and all lol (Sorry matt)

What I have eaten already today.
- Oatmeal with Raisins (3 Points)
- Apple (1 Point)
- 100 Calorie Popcorn (2 Points)
- Smart One salsberry steak TV dinner (6 points)
- 1 1/2 cups of Frozen peas (4 Points I think)
- 100 Calorie Fudge cookie snack. (2 Points)
20 points already today and I only get 33 a day. And I'm usually well under. I'm sure that wont' be the case today.

I feel like a cow now. uGGGGG being bloated don't help.

So does anyone else feel the need to eat more when they get their period?
moveforward73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

YES!!!! I am absolutely ravenous when I get my period.

I just quickly looked it up and on Wikipedia it says it's due to "fluctuation in beta-endorphin levels" (whatever that means, but it sounds nice and sciency doesn't it lol).

I was also reading that it could be because we're eating to replace/compensate for the loss of blood/iron levels in our bodies.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #3  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I am having this same experience today! Hang in there...and try to eat a big lettuce based salad later so you will be really full with not a lot of calories. That is what I usually do!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm always ravenous during my period. And the week before. Sometimes the week after, too. Hang in there! Boredom at work brings on the munchies big time as well. At least there's no giant chocolate cake sitting around taunting you! (I hope not, anyway, that's what I dealt with in my office yesterday.)
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 211/179/150

Height: 5'4

Mine is the week right before TOM starts. Ravenous is pretty good description.

Those are the days I am most likely to go off plan. I just have to keep a tight rein on my impulses. I ask myself if I really need it, or is it just TOM talking.
athena 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I generally have one or two days about 4 to 8 days before getting my period when I'm extra-hungry. When I'm extra-hungry, I eat some extra, trying to concentrate on proteins and fats and veggies, rather than on grain or sugar carbs, because those things will just send me into wanting more carbs. However, at the end of a day like that, I will indulge myself a little more by having a bowl of Cheerios or something. Usually my calories for that day will be 200 to 300 more than if it were a "normal" day.

So basically I stay on plan but tweak it. My plan is highly tweakable; I think it's really important to listen to what my body wants rather than trying to be a fascist to myself.

Metabolically speaking, you are burning more calories in the portion of your cycle from ovulation to menses (2nd half) than you burn in the portion from menses to ovulation (1st half). There is a real reason you are hungry.

I also get some water retention right around my period, which I try pretty hard to just ignore. It'll pass, it always does.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #7  

Just wanted to chime in and say my period was sporadic at my highest weight as well and has now returned to normal. It's nice to know I'm not alone!
emilydreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I get really hungry a day or so before (I'm supposed to start today/tomorrow) and already the HUNGER pains are kicking in. I feed it with lots of protein and some dark chocolate to give me some satisfaction

I hear you can eat like 200 more calories a day while on your period- but can't find any research on whether this is a valid claim.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #9  

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Emily- When I stopped my period it totally weirded me out. I had NEVER had it happen before, except when I got pregnant with my daughter. I took 5 pregnancy tests plus 2 blood tests, plus got that pill that is supposed to bring it on. I wasn't pregnant and the pill didn't work. 3 months of this went on, numerous calls to the doctor who was no help. I changed my eating, and in one week I lost 10lbs and started my period. It was kinda off, but this one is pretty much on time and definately normal, feel like I have a little extra cramping though.

All I have left to eat is little cup of applesauce which I'll probably eat. It will be Cheerios for dinner tonight cuz that is low cal low fat. I love cerial.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #10  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I get extremely hungry about three days before. There's just the ONE day when I am hungry all the time, and then I look at my calendar, and think, yep, just about due. I don't have any particular cravings for junk, I just want more of the food I usually eat. Honestly, as long as it doesn't get all binge-y and out of control, I just go with it, and end up eating about 400 more calories or so, but I make sure it's ALL good stuff.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #11  

There is a boston cream donut thing in the snack machine calling my name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Must resist..... oh but it loooks so good and goooooy. lol
Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I also like to notice the days during my cycle when I don't feel overly obsessed with eating, or feel bloated--but rather I feel sexy and strong and lean and extremely interested in jumping on my husband

I love those RAWR days.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #13  

Height: 5'2

Yep, I get the period munchies too.
ThisYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I was just noticing that everything you ate were carbohydrates except for the salisbury steak. No wonder you are craving more food. Try some veggies and some low fat protein.

oatmeal & raisins = carbs
apple = carbs
popcorn = carbs
tv dinner? what came with the meat? potatoes?...carbs?
peas = carbs
fudge cookie = carbs
applesauce = carbs

You'll be hungry constantly if you don't add in some non-starchy vegetables and some real meat. PMS/TOM isn't the main problem imo...it's the carb overload.

ETA: I should add that PMS does bring on carb cravings, but you can combat them by adding veg/protein. PMS doesn't have to put your "diet" on hold.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 02-10-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #15  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

I definitely get the TOM Munchie Monster. I even blogged about it recently. Some months it is stronger than others. It has to do with hormones.

For me it's not really hunger. Not the kind of rumbly tummy when I haven't reaten in a few hours. It is just a craving to eat. Almost like I feel compelled to eat. Everything!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote