3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   After a work out (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/193768-after-work-out.html)

Kayhm0711 02-09-2010 06:29 PM

After a work out

So my weight flucuates throughout the day, like I am sure most of you girl's weight does. Most of the time it only flucuates by about 3 lbs throughout the day, but it seems like if I get a really heavy workout in, it can go up like 5.

Do you guys experience water weight or weight going up by the end of the day more so on days that you work out?

Sandi 02-09-2010 06:32 PM

I only weigh once in the morning, otherwise I go :crazy:

Beverlyjoy 02-09-2010 06:34 PM

I only weight once a week. Lots of folks like to weigh daily.

Thirty years ago I would weigh several times a day - but, it made me go nuts. I finally didn't see the point of it for me.

calluna 02-09-2010 06:38 PM

I'm with Sandi on this one.

WarMaiden 02-09-2010 06:40 PM

I weigh once a day, out of habit, and I don't think about the particular number for the particular day very much, other than: "Huh. Interesting." I leave it and move on. All that matters is the trend over a long period of time--weeks and months. A single day doesn't matter.

I agree that weighing oneself frequently throughout the day is a good way to make oneself crazy with overthinking it.

LaurieDawn 02-09-2010 06:47 PM

Like Sandi, I'm a once-a-day kinda girl. However, at one point, I did a "scale overload" thing - kinda like how parents used to discipline their kids for sneaking a smoke by making them go through a whole pack. I weighed every time I passed the bathroom, and since I worked from home at the time, that was a lot. I finally became comfortable with the idea that the scale does not always reward good behavior and punish bad, and that my weight fluctuates an outrageous amount during the day.

I think I remember my weight slightly increasing after cardio. Here's what I believe is true - but don't know. If you're starting an exercise program or increasing your exercise significantly - especially if you are adding weights - your weight could jump up. But if you're increasing gradually, it has minimal impact on your weight. Or I should say "my" weight - cuz we all seem to be pretty different from each other.

sweetnlow28 02-09-2010 06:52 PM

I think I may know why your weight increases, but I could be entirely wrong :) On the Dr. Oz show, he mentioned that your weight may be up after a workout, and sometimes into the next day, because your muscles retain water after use and it takes time for them to reduce back to their pre-exercise size. I usually notice a one pound increase, sometimes more if I drink a lot of water during my workout. I hope that is helpful.

Eliana 02-09-2010 07:12 PM

I weigh just after a workout out of curiosity and am either the same or even up to a pound and a half lighter. It depends on how much water I've had. The weight of the undigested water plays a factor on the scale. When I do HIIT, I can't hydrate because of the intensity of it, so that's probably why.

Kayhm0711 02-09-2010 11:42 PM

Thanks girls. I know it's a bad habit that I weigh myself more than once a day. I really need to stop, but it's really addicting lol. I just feel like I have more control, but the number shouldn't be the only thing that matters.

Idealmuse 02-10-2010 12:24 AM

I think mine goes down from all the sweat!

ChrissyBean 02-10-2010 10:49 AM

I only weigh in the morning, so I don't know.

matt_H 02-10-2010 11:01 AM

If you are lifting weights during the workout, you are probably retaining water. The next day after lifting weights I see a temporary gain on the scale.

club 02-10-2010 11:09 AM

Kayhm.. Great question!!

I started exericsing regularly recently and have stayed the same for the last couple days and then today after an intense 40 minute workout yesterday I was up a pound! I was so mad this morning, and I knew I was going to be up because of my weight last night. I too weigh myself multiple times a day!! I agree that its addicting!

I am glad I saw this post becuase I was going to post basically the same thing. I understand why I am up today!!

Does anyone have any other advice. Like should I keep doing what I am doing? Drink more water today? Back off a little?

matt_H 02-10-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by club (Post 3145463)

Does anyone have any other advice. Like should I keep doing what I am doing? Drink more water today? Back off a little?

Keep doing what you are doing! :)

Its not a real weight gain. You are doing awesome. I've tried to change my mindset where after I work out I'm actually looking forward to see a gain on the scale. That way, I know I kicked butt! :carrot:

club 02-10-2010 11:28 AM

Awesome Thanks matt_H I will try and change my mind set... I must have kicked butt yesterday and did't even know it!! Who knew weight gain could be a positive after a work out...woohoo

Thanks