3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I'm where I didn't want to be (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/193153-im-where-i-didnt-want.html)

Eliana 02-03-2010 09:06 AM

I'm where I didn't want to be

I'm sorry I've been so needy lately, and it's up one day and down the next. This is where the last time I gave up. Thankfully, this time my goal is one year, not X pounds.

I'm encouraging myself with a bit of logic and I would like to know if my logic is good or faulty. I think I want to know. :D Bah! I don't know if I want an answer to this or not, but here it is anyway.

Here's my battle:

I added exercise a few weeks ago. I gained, or maintained really, the expected 2 lbs or so. I knew it was water retention, blah, blah, but it doesn't matter. It's still hard! Being my typical self, I increased the exercise. The scale is of course not loving that.

Yesterday I had an amazing workout and did HIIT (high intensity interval training). It's supposed to burn some amazing calories for up to 48 hours.

Yesterday morning: 202.4
Yesterday evening: 203.4
This morning: 203.2

So I'm wondering...my legs hurt this morning, which surprised me because I didn't lift, I ran. But I feel like I did 100 squats. Would it be wrong of me to play a mental game with myself and tell myself I'm retaining maybe 2 lbs of water and my weight just might really be 201.2???? Or is that faulty thinking.

That kind of thinking might get me over this hump.

I just hate this!

thistoo 02-03-2010 09:13 AM

Well, I don't know if trying to guess your 'real weight' is necessarily a healthy approach (certainly it can lead to disappointment) but it's absolutely realistic to assume you are retaining water after doing high intensity workouts you're not used to.

I know this won't make you feel any better, but I am still sitting right at 153, which is not even the lowest weight of my current plateau, so what I'm doing hasn't produced a miracle of weight loss either. However, my fitness is tremendous and I *feel* strong, which is a pretty good trade-off in my book.

diyana 02-03-2010 09:20 AM

Hi Eliana -

I formally weigh in at Weight Watchers once a week, at the same time, wearing roughly the same clothes. When I weigh in on other days, I find, as you are finding that weight can fluctuate as much as 2 to 3 pounds throughout the day. After discussing this with my WW leader AND my personal trainer, I now chalk that up to water retention, including fluids that my muscles retain to heal themselves after a workout (especially weight lifting and/or intense cardio). I also chalk it up to bladder and bowel movements...not that I have 3 lb bowel movements...ewwwww...but I figure that weighs something. Sorry if that's TMI.

I always go by the scale - I don't try and second guess how much of it is water retention, but if it fluctuates 1 or 2 lbs throughout the day or from one day to the next, I don't worry about it. I use my weekly weigh in as my "official" weigh in and figure that any water retained by my muscles will eventually be released as they heal.

The fact that your legs hurt tells you that you did, in fact, do an intense workout. I don't think your muscle fibers tear AS MUCH when you do cardio, but you are using them. And if you haven't used them that intensely or in that way before, they will be sore...whether you do cardio or lift.

I'm not a medical or exercise professional. But I have discussed this exact same topic with doctors, trainers and weight loss professionals.

I hope this helps. Good luck. And don't let a small gain get you down. Just keep doing what you're doing, and the scale will eventually show the results you are seeking.

Eliana 02-03-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thistoo (Post 3132879)
Well, I don't know if trying to guess your 'real weight' is necessarily a healthy approach (certainly it can lead to disappointment) but it's absolutely realistic to assume you are retaining water after doing high intensity workouts you're not used to.

I know this won't make you feel any better, but I am still sitting right at 153, which is not even the lowest weight of my current plateau, so what I'm doing hasn't produced a miracle of weight loss either. However, my fitness is tremendous and I *feel* strong, which is a pretty good trade-off in my book.

Yes, yesterday I was riding high on the same thought. I felt strong and good about myself. Today I'm exhausted and skipped my workout. I took the I-need-to-rest approach, which is probably true. I've worked out every day for two weeks now and I think it's catching up with me. I also don't feel very well today, so there you go.

I'm fighting the need to do more. I see a higher number, so I need more exercise or fewer calories. And while that makes sense, I know it's actually the opposite of what I need to do.

VickieLou 02-03-2010 09:23 AM

Read Under Weight Loss Support there is a thread about scale and water weight. It's in the top half of the forum. Hope that helps. You are doing Great. Sounds like a Great Workout.

Sandi 02-03-2010 09:24 AM

I think sometimes we get way too caught up in the numbers. You are trying to make a lifestyle change. Eat better, move more. And you are doing those things. The weight will come off sooner or later. So maybe stay off the scale but once a day and don't sweat the numbers.

Eliana 02-03-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliana (Post 3132868)

Yesterday morning: 202.4
Yesterday evening: 203.4
This morning: 203.2

I stuck that part in there because typically I lose about 2 lbs over night. So going to bed at 203.4 I expected to be 201.4 this morning. So 203.2 was disappointing.

ubergirl 02-03-2010 09:27 AM

Eliana

I think you are psyching yourself out!

It IS hard when you don't drop, especially when you're doing everything right.

I know in my case, there have been times when I've gone ahead and changed my ticker to a lower weight the first time I saw it, and then not seen it again for a week, and that's when I've actually SEEN the weight on the scale.

THINK HOW THRILLED YOU'LL Be when you finally see the lower number!!!

It's worth waiting for. Otherwise, when you see the lower number, it won't feel like such an achievement.

FWIW, I really upped my exercise about three weeks ago, and it helped me BREAK my plateau.

Give it a chance to work. Don't get yourself psyched out.:hug::hug:

cathydoe 02-03-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliana (Post 3132868)
I'm sorry I've been so needy lately, and it's up one day and down the next. This is where the last time I gave up. Thankfully, this time my goal is one year, not X pounds.

Keep being needy and posting here! You will make it through this...I just feel it. Why? Because you are doing things differently this time...like asking for help from 3FC. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. I am ROOTING for you...and doing a little jig :jig:

Lori Bell 02-03-2010 09:37 AM

When people add exercise they typically retain more water...WATER, just the bodies natural healing process for muscle soreness blah, blah, blah. Just think of it as your NEW weight. It not like you "gained it" it's just there from natural body function. Your NEW weight for today is 203.3 (Oh, and WHY do you torture yourself and weigh at night? Once a day is really good enough...;))

As long as you exercise with high intensity, you'll always have that few extra pounds of natural fluid retention...your body NEEDS it. The scale will start to drop real fat again when your body tweaks itself.

kuchick 02-03-2010 09:41 AM

OK this is waaaay TMI

but I have weighed myself after a bowel movement because I tend to have IBS symptoms sometimes and my weight creeps up gradually and then drops suddenly. I had lost 2 lbs. Remember, 16 oz = 1 pound. We all drink a lot of water - 16 oz of water doesn't look like much. Many of us are drinking 4 pounds of water a day, and if you're retaining water, it's easy to gain even when you're staying on plan.

Don't worry, you're doing great - besides, I've been needy lately - I need to pay all the help I've gotten forward :)

cherbear 02-03-2010 09:44 AM

You're doing great Eliana! I know that scale is mean sometimes, but you're doing all the right things and will get where it needs to be. I'm a night and morning weigher also, so I know your pain of a low night and high morning. You know what you're doing and if you just let it ride out you'll get where you need to be. Hang tough! You'll get there!

We're at the same place with onderland, (you're a little ahead, if I can do math ;) ) but we have to remember it's just another number and we'll get there when our body's ready.

Cheri

caryesings 02-03-2010 10:37 AM

Step away from the scale. If you are doing what you know you need to do, just don't weigh in for a month. I know many folks think I'm a bit nuts to only check my progress once a month, but it sure saves me the mental anguish I'm reading here, especially as we both sit right at that magic almost-onderland spot.

Eliana 02-03-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryesings (Post 3133059)
Step away from the scale. If you are doing what you know you need to do, just don't weigh in for a month. I know many folks think I'm a bit nuts to only check my progress once a month, but it sure saves me the mental anguish I'm reading here, especially as we both sit right at that magic almost-onderland spot.

Yeah. :( SO close!

matt_H 02-03-2010 10:57 AM

Its tough sometimes to take the scale with a grain of salt (except not literally as salt causes water retention) ;)

You know that you are doing healthy things for your body and the scale weight is not accurate in terms of body fat loss. If you can, I'd avoid getting on the scale at all the day after a heavy exercise day when you know you have some muscle soreness.