Any vegans?

• So I am considering being vegan; just slowly easing my way into it. Starting out as a pescatarian for a month, full vegetarian, and finally I will give up eggs . I will still eat honey and use beeswax stuff because bees don't really count to me. Anybody here a vegan who would be willing to help me out with this transition? I am already lactose intolerant, so that part is taken care of?
  • Sure, I can help. I went from full on meaty eater to vegan within a day.
  • my husband and i have both been vegans for about 2 years now. i LOVE eating vegan and i would never go back!
  • I am gonna miss sushi though
  • Just curious, what made you want to become vegan?
  • Have you tried veggie sushi? It is good

As for wanting to become vegan, I've read quite a few books based on research that prompted me. China Study and Eat to Live were huge influences. I actually had no idea how much I'd love being vegan and I have to say I love food more than ever which is always a problem
  • It is going to sound ridiculous, but I just think about how much I love my pets and that they are so lucky they weren't born as an animal that is used for food. All animals have personalities and I would hate to continue exploiting any more animals for meat, which I honestly don't enjoy that much...except sushi. I don't eat dairy, so I gotta give up eggs and I already use cruelty-free products.
  • I plan on attempting eliminate as many animal products as I can from my diet next grocery shopping cycle.

I want to do this because for months now I've been feeling bloated, sluggish and constipated and I think animal products may be an issue. So my plan is to eliminate them for 2 months or so and see how that goes( I still plan to eat fish) If it makes me feel better and it's not torture I would like to keep it up.

I also hate to think about how poorly animals that are raised for food are treated. Choosing not to eat them can help bring attention to that fact.
  • I'm gearing up to try a vegan month in March. I'd do it this month, except there are some dairy products I have on hand that my husband won't eat (paneer, yogurt, milk), and I just don't want to waste them. I can't see that it'll be much of an effort on my part, since I generally consume very little dairy, and even fewer eggs; switching to olive oil from the ghee I use in making Indian dishes won't be a problem. Cheese I can do without, so I don't feel the need to find a vegan substitute, but the yogurt and milk will be a bit harder, so I'm going to try various brands and types this month, while I work up to March. I really anticipate the yogurt being the hardest part, since I depend on it for calcium and protein. I'm pretty sure I can give up the milk in my coffee and tea without much problem.

Anyway, it's going to be interesting, and I'm looking forward to the challenge. I may totally wash out and decide it's not for me, but I'd like to try.
  • Quote: I really anticipate the yogurt being the hardest part, since I depend on it for calcium and protein. I'm pretty sure I can give up the milk in my coffee and tea without much problem.
    There is soy yogurt that I give to my husband and eat ocassionally. Wildwood is pretty good.

The interesting thing is that dairy actually isn't a very good source of calcium since animal proteins actually leech calcium from your bones. There are a lot of good veggies that are good sources for calcium such as leafy greens. Also, protein shouldn't be an issue if you are eating a well balanced diet. The RDA suggests at least 50g protein/day which I easily reach and exceed on a daily basis.
  • Oh, yeah, I know it can be worked around, and that animal sources of calcium aren't all that, and I routinely eat huge amounts of leafy greens, this is more a matter of habit and ease than anything else, and with all the other changes I've made and which I love, I'm sure I can do it. I eat a lot of pulses and beans, so I've probably got protein covered already, and I have no interest in or desire to go low-carb, so I really don't think this is going to be hard.