3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

Help, i'm scared here!: Heart Palpitations, arm/neck pain, and pressure in my head.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Lamest Loner Around
 
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 60

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Default Help, i'm scared here!: Heart Palpitations, arm/neck pain, and pressure in my head.

EMS just left my apartment.....


After i stopped working out, i sat down and my left ear started to feel weird and i felt a bit light headed and it felt like my acid reflux was acting up again, but different........but i just laid down to try to feel better, well it worked somewhat but when i stood up i felt really light headed, the back of my neck started to hurt and then my heart rate went out the window.

This is the 3rd time, within the last 4 months, that this has happened.
The 2nd time i went to the hospital, had blood work, chest xrays, and NOTHING was found to be wrong So i declined to go to the hospital this time....i mean i'm so in debt from the last visit that i'm afraid of more debt. o_o Luckily my health insurance kicks in in a few weeks.
But that doesn't change the fact that i'm scared. i don't want to die, and i keep thinking i'm going to just fall out and die one day o_o

I was having SUCH a good day. I exercised for HOURS, i did GREAT with my calorie intake, and i finally got my computer fixed. So for this to happen just really threw me for a loop.
Me and the EMS where brainstorming that the exercise might of caused my acid reflux to act up but what i don't get is the heart palpitations. Those are what scare me so bad. That, and the neck/arm pains, and this feeling in my head. It feels like oxygen is getting up there..........like, the best way i can think to describe it is a tingly-pressure sensation in the back half of my head.

It's scaring me v_v
i'm only 20.........diabetes has been ruled out, so wtf is it!!
I mean i've never out-grown my heart murmur but the cardiologist told me i didn't have to worry about getting an echocardiogram any time soon. Just to try to get it done in the next year or so, so that it can be followed.


I'm so confussed.
And it's like wtf, if THIS is going to keep happening after i exercise, why would i want to keep exercising like i have been! o_o

Has anyone else felt ANYTHING like this before???
Now my freaking left ear is on fire it's so hot! i dont get it! >_<







__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________










xoxoxo
*~ Violet ~*
<3

Last edited by 0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 : 01-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Jeri
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Otay, Tijuana, Mexico, BCN
Posts: 1,166

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Default

I'm thinking it might be a panic attack. I've had them before and been totally convinced I was having a heart attack - even down to the chest tightness and arm numbness. I've found that during one, every physical sensation is magnified - so a minor pain in the ear might start to hurt even worse.

Did EMS let you know what your blood pressure was?
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Results Are Typical
 
honeybjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 240

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

Default

Wow that is some really scary $h|t. The best advice I can offer is go see a specialist as soon as your insurance will allow you. I have chronic pain and my regular doc could only do so much. Once I started seeing a specialist, I really started getting some top notch care. My point here being I'm sure your regular doc is great but only someone with really specialized knowledge will be able to get the heart of the matter (pardon the pun). Oh and as far as the money, you can always get more but you only get one life.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
fitbyforty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 740

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Default

Exercising for hours might explain it.When I over exerted the same thing happened to me.Yes it was scary.
Even still I would talk to a DR. about it.
__________________


My progress pics
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
marigrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 810

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default

Sounds like you need to take it slower. Get another doctor's opinion also. You are OK now, just try and relax...sounds like blood pressure...but get to someone who can explain this.
__________________


My etsy shop :
www.etsy.com/shop/moxiealleysoaps?ref=si_shop
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Lamest Loner Around
 
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 60

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I'm thinking it might be a panic attack. I've had them before and been totally convinced I was having a heart attack - even down to the chest tightness and arm numbness. I've found that during one, every physical sensation is magnified - so a minor pain in the ear might start to hurt even worse.

Did EMS let you know what your blood pressure was?

Yes, but sadly i've forgotten what it was. but it was high. It's not on the piece of paper he gave me either. But after the 1st time this happened, i had my blood pressure taken at a local clinic a few days later, and it was high when i forgot in but after a while and being told it was probably nothing too serious, it was pretty close to normal again. v_v so many mixed signals!
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
traci in training's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 720

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default

I'm a nurse so here are the things I would ask you:

How much caffiene have you taken in today? Heart palpitations can often be PAC's which are scary but not dangerous.

How high are you keeping your heart rate while exercising? Several hours at a very high rate could, when combined with a murmur, be decreasing the oxygenation to parts of your body. Low oxygen = pain.

Are you well hydrated? Lactic acid can begin to build up when your body is under stress for an extended period if enough oxygen is not available. This can be greatly increased if you are dehydrated.

What are you eating? Decreasing your calories drastically and then huge amounts of exercise could really stress your body.

I know the urge to lose the weight is strong and we all want it to happen right this minute, but you're in this for the long haul. Moderation is your friend. :-)
__________________
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Lamest Loner Around
 
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 60

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybjones View Post
Wow that is some really scary $h|t. The best advice I can offer is go see a specialist as soon as your insurance will allow you. I have chronic pain and my regular doc could only do so much. Once I started seeing a specialist, I really started getting some top notch care. My point here being I'm sure your regular doc is great but only someone with really specialized knowledge will be able to get the heart of the matter (pardon the pun). Oh and as far as the money, you can always get more but you only get one life.
Yea it really is! I'm not sure when the health insurance is going to kick in, but it should be in the beginning of February! I'll get that echo cardiogram then for SURE...................and you're right, but i'm so protective of my credit..........i've seen what happens to so many people with bad credit and i don't want it. =[



Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbyforty View Post
Exercising for hours might explain it.When I over exerted the same thing happened to me.Yes it was scary.
Even still I would talk to a DR. about it.

Really?? Ah, well i'm really hoping that's what it is.........or something not immediately life-threatening.......it's just really scary.........i can't wait to FINALLY have insurance again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
Sounds like you need to take it slower. Get another doctor's opinion also. You are OK now, just try and relax...sounds like blood pressure...but get to someone who can explain this.
Yes! i was wondering if it was hypertension or Mitral valve prolapse o_o Hopefully i can get to the doctor within a couple of weeks!

Last edited by 0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 : 01-26-2010 at 06:17 PM.
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Member
 
goldferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Missoula, Montana
Posts: 48

S/C/G: 255/See Tracker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default

To me, it sounds like high blood pressure. I have it. I'm 26, and diagnosed when I was 24. I was getting weird pricklies in my limbs and an odd chest pain. I went to the hospital and the only thing they could figure out was that i had high blood pressure. I've been on meds for it since, although I'm hoping to get off them once I lose all the weight.
goldferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Out is Through
 
Creeech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 294

Default

You should probably go easier on the exercise, considering you have a heart condition. Try to take it easy until your insurance kicks in and get another opinion hope you feel better soon chickie! <3
__________________

Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
Lamest Loner Around
 
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 60

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci in training View Post
I'm a nurse so here are the things I would ask you:

How much caffiene have you taken in today? Heart palpitations can often be PAC's which are scary but not dangerous.

How high are you keeping your heart rate while exercising? Several hours at a very high rate could, when combined with a murmur, be decreasing the oxygenation to parts of your body. Low oxygen = pain.

Are you well hydrated? Lactic acid can begin to build up when your body is under stress for an extended period if enough oxygen is not available. This can be greatly increased if you are dehydrated.

What are you eating? Decreasing your calories drastically and then huge amounts of exercise could really stress your body.

I know the urge to lose the weight is strong and we all want it to happen right this minute, but you're in this for the long haul. Moderation is your friend. :-)

I didn't have a bit of caffeine today. [i rarely ever do]


And i'd go go go until i was short of breathe and totally whipped. and my heart rate would be really high and i'd sit down for like a minute or two.


I make sure i have a huge bottle of SOMETHING when i'm exercising. Usually Gatorade or Water. Today it was gatorade!


Well so far my calorie intake for the day is 770.
I was going to make something else to eat but when this happened it got away from me........=[





__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________










xoxoxo
*~ Violet ~*
<3
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Lamest Loner Around
 
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 60

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Default

traci in training What do you think about getting back on prilosec OTC for the time being?? can't hurt really can it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by goldferris View Post
To me, it sounds like high blood pressure. I have it. I'm 26, and diagnosed when I was 24. I was getting weird pricklies in my limbs and an odd chest pain. I went to the hospital and the only thing they could figure out was that i had high blood pressure. I've been on meds for it since, although I'm hoping to get off them once I lose all the weight.
You know, that's what i'm starting to wonder too. Since it's not diabetes [which i was really really reallyyyyyy relieved over], a heart attack, or anything else that would of been found by blood work, it has to be high blood pressure. v_v gees. I sure do hope this is something i can also get rid of, when i lose this weight.......thx!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeech View Post
You should probably go easier on the exercise, considering you have a heart condition. Try to take it easy until your insurance kicks in and get another opinion hope you feel better soon chickie! <3

Yea, you can bet i'm just simply taking a walk tomorrow. o_o
No hours and hours of DDR again v_v -- Thanks a lot!! <3
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Never want to go back!
 
CLCSC145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,804

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Default

This kind of question makes me nervous... Please don't take anything here as advice or diagnosis. We aren't your doctors and anything we say is just guessing. Expensive or not, your health is nothing to mess around with. Go see a doctor! If you are having to go to the emergency room or be treated by EMTs, this is way more serious than anything we can help you with. Good luck!
__________________
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
Lamest Loner Around
 
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisburg, North Carolina
Posts: 60

S/C/G: 278/260/130

Height: 5'6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
This kind of question makes me nervous... Please don't take anything here as advice or diagnosis. We aren't your doctors and anything we say is just guessing. Expensive or not, your health is nothing to mess around with. Go see a doctor! If you are having to go to the emergency room or be treated by EMTs, this is way more serious than anything we can help you with. Good luck!

Oh i definitely know that.
I just wanted some kind of immediate ideas/help. See if anyone had any idea of what it might be, and if it was super serious, or something that can be dealt with, etc.........just so i wouldn't stress out over it all night and worry myself out of a good nights sleep............ya know?

I plan on visiting that cardiologist again! Thanks so much!
0o0o KimoKawaii o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
traci in training's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 720

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default

I would never advise anyone to take meds - that's a docs job and that's above my pay grade. I think the most important things are the following:

1. You're not monitoring your heart rate. At your weight and with any heart condition I would say you should be staying at a safe rate - probably on the low side of safe until you're in shape.

2. 770 calories to fuel "hours and hours" or working out is probably not enough when you're not used to it.

3. Gatorade or whatever has lots of electrolytes. I'd use water to hydrate while exercising. It's the most easily used by your body.

Again, I say try some moderation. Nice and easy - especially until you can see a doctor for some hands-on evaluation.
__________________
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2