Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #1  

Default Friend needs menu idea help

My friend just started her weight loss efforts and sent this message to a bunch of us. Can you help me give her some ideas?
Help!! My problem is that I am a picky eater so I am clueless. Any suggestions. I need fast prep and reg food. I need planning so I am not fixing 2 separate dinners. My kids are preschool age so I know they are not going to eat certain things. Look forward to your suggestion
soulnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5.5"

I use Betty Crocker's Win at Weightloss: A Guide for the Whole Family. The recipes are the kind of food that a preschooler will eat and many of them are fast. They also have make ahead crockpot recipes.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I would suggest to your friend that she tweak what she is already doing. For example instead of plain pasta, use a multi grain pasta. Whole wheat might be too obvious but a multigrain pasta isn't that noticiable. My husband has the taste buds of a preschooler and he loves multigrain pasta--whole wheat--not so much.

Anyway, I think tweaking will go over alot better and allow time for more gradual changes that will stand the test of time. Adults who need to lose weight can use portion control, whereas kiddo's who are at a healthy weight just need to be transitioned to more healthy choices.

My point is that changes need to be gradual and sustainable. If she is picky and her kids are picky, there will be a revolt in the house if things get too radical too quickly.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents and that has what has brought my dh on board. NO, he doesn't need to lose wt but I cook for the two of us and I do! Win-win for us.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Bags and bags of baked boneless skinless chicken breasts. When there is a sale, buy tons, bake and freeze. She can eat that with low-sugar ketchup, or mustard, or hot sauce, and for the kids she can put it in something (like pasta) or serve it next to something (like Potatoes) or as a sandwich. Everyone can eat steamed veggies as a side.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

I make hamburger vegetable soup with extra lean hamburger and any veggie I can throw in. My 3 year old daughter LOVES it, which surprised me, but the soup is really filling and I freeze it in small tupperware so that we can have it for lunch or dinner whenever.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #6  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

"My kids are preschool age, so I know they are not going to eat certain things."

This looks like an excellent example of an excuse framed as a fact. I am so guilty of this and am trying to spot them and reframe them. Challenge it. Who says the kids won't eat healthier foods? Kids all over the world eat foods that are very different from what we eat. Put a positive spin on it - the more Mom likes it and seems to "buy-in" to it yumminess, the more the kids will. Actually, this is the BEST time to teach them to eat better. As they get older, it gets harder.

Best wishes to your friend as she discovers how much better food tastes when it's actually food and to you for being such a great friend to her!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #7  

I have young kids, too. They'll eat more veggies if I arrange their good to look like a face or something fun. They might like them dipped in dressing or cheese, too. It takes some experimenting, but it's really worth it. I used to be extremely picky, but now I'm shocked at how much I love foods that I used to hate.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote