The Medication Munchies

• I highly doubt that I am the only one with this problem. I have decided to call it, "The Medication Munchies."

I'm on a nightly medication that gives me the mad munchies after taking the pill. I take the pill about an hour before I want to fall asleep, which is one of the things it's designed to do. ( Knock you the f*ck out. )

I absolutely hate the munchies that it gives me. It makes me want to eat anything available. It's probably one of the reasons I went from 200 pounds to my current 230 pounds.

It's also very hard to ignore, but, it's something that I have to learn to control on my new path to a healthier me.

My old habit was to take my medication, wait for it to start kicking in, grab a snack or two or three, and get into bed, eating and watching television while I get sleepier and sleepier. Disgusting, I know.

My new plan is to just go straight to bed once it starts working. Maybe watch television for a few minutes if it doesn't make me want to eat. ( I love eating while watching television/movies. ) Sip on a bottle of water.

If nothing works, I will be discussing this with my doctor to see if we can find a solution to this. ( I.E. trying a different medication, maybe adding another to counteract the munchies. )

Does anyone else get The Medication Munchies? Have you conquered them?

( Everyone knows that getting the munchies sucks, whether it's caused by a medication, or not. Share your stories! )
  • I have been on and off painkillers for 7-8 months since a shoulder injury, and boy, painkillers definitely DO cause the munchies.

I often plan myself a snack that fits into my calorie allowance and is a lot of volume for low calories (sliced veggies or my favorite, air-popped popcorn) to eat after my medications. Since I know the medication makes me want to munch, I just plan for it and go from there.
  • Off topic but what server on Maple are you on? :P
  • Quote: Off topic but what server on Maple are you on? :P
    OMG, LOL! I just knew that someone was going to recognize that!

I actually haven't played Maple in a long time, I don't even have it installed. He-he. -Suddenly has a Maple craving- Thanks a lot! LOL.
  • Ugh, I've had to take prednisone a couple of times due to spider bites and it gives me the muchies big time. Like if I'm not eating, I feel like I'm gonna throw up. I was on a 7 day course one time and I gained a pound a day.. Not good. Luckily haven't had to deal with that one for awhile. Sounds like you've got a good plan.
  • Quote: OMG, LOL! I just knew that someone was going to recognize that!

I actually haven't played Maple in a long time, I don't even have it installed. He-he. -Suddenly has a Maple craving- Thanks a lot! LOL.
    I haven't played in a while either. I started back in 2005 on Bera though :P I quit last year after moving to Mardia because of drama, and then I wound up quitting completely and started PServers. No time for Maple now, plus it sucked me in and I was obsessed for too long :[
  • Quote: I haven't played in a while either. I started back in 2005 on Bera though :P I quit last year after moving to Mardia because of drama, and then I wound up quitting completely and started PServers. No time for Maple now, plus it sucked me in and I was obsessed for too long :[
    My first character was on Windia, a 4X Assassin, and I had a 3X Mage on the same server. I can't seem to remember my password/e-mail/birth date I registered with, though!

I also played on a PServer for a little while. Free NX is awesome.

I do miss it, at times. Very easy to get addicted.
  • I had a munchies causing med a while back. I tried to munch healthy things. It worked sometimes and not others. When I took it at bedtime I would brush my teeth and then tell myself I couldn't eat because of my teeth.
  • Quote: When I took it at bedtime I would brush my teeth and then tell myself I couldn't eat because of my teeth.
    He-he, this is always a good idea, too!
  • I have the mindless munchies right now...not created by anything other than a calorie deficit and a mind that wanders to bad things when bored.

So I'm going to bed. End of day...goodnight ladies and gentlemen!
  • Quote: I have the mindless munchies right now...not created by anything other than a calorie deficit and a mind that wanders to bad things when bored.

So I'm going to bed. End of day...goodnight ladies and gentlemen!
    Good idea/job! Night-night!
  • Quote: My first character was on Windia, a 4X Assassin, and I had a 3X Mage on the same server. I can't seem to remember my password/e-mail/birth date I registered with, though!

I also played on a PServer for a little while. Free NX is awesome.

I do miss it, at times. Very easy to get addicted.
    I got my bishop up to 163, couldn't bear to level to 200 LOL
  • Quote: I got my bishop up to 163, couldn't bear to level to 200 LOL
    LOL, you were a much more dedicated player than I! I was buying double experience left and right, and I still couldn't get that high! He-he. You're hardcore!

But, anyways, I popped in here to tell you all of my success last night. I didn't stuff my face!

I had the munchies, as usual, something horrible. The voice in the back of my head was telling me to just give up, telling me to just eat what I wanted.

I said, "No, f_ck you, voice." I ate a tuna-sized can of chicken breast meat. 60 calories, 0 carbs. I know it probably sounds kind of strange, but, it was the only low carb option I had available without having to cook. It satisfied my munchies, then, I went to sleep.