Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default so i finally ..

have been giving my eye opener to make me stay focused on losing this weight .. I'm only 30 and i went to the Dr the other day and my BP was 170/110 .. that was all i needed to make me realize i change my life or live on medication for the rest of my life .. and possibly have a stroke .. I'm down 3 lbs so far ..now everytime i go to put something unhealthy into my mouth i just remind myself how high my BP was and i go for something healthy .. so heres to my new beginning!! now im on a mission to find a wii fit plus (everyone seems to be sold out) til im comfortable going to the gym .. do any you own a wii fit?? do you think that you can really lose weight using it properly and daily?? i used my friends lastnight and i really had a good time using it but does it actually work .. thanks i advance for your help
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I've heard that the Wii Fit is good if the alternative is that you do nothing. What about taking a walk? If it's too cold outside, a walk in the mall or on a treadmill are good alternatives.

Good luck and welcome back!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/241/170

Hey girl-

I too am in ur same boat with the blood pressure ( though i think most of mine comes from being scared at the Doc and it going up) but I am still trying to lose the weight for that reason. I have not tried the Wii Fit but will be soon. Have u tried just simple DVDs like Walk Away the Pounds? I just started using that and I really like it. U definitely get in a good workout with it. Might be something u can mix in with the Wii to get a great workout for the heart.
Girly2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Sometimes it takes a good medical scare to kick our butts in gear. One positive thing in your favour is that you KEEP COMING BACK. So you KNOW that you need to be here to check in, keep yourself accountable and to succeed. We'll always be here for ya babe!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #5  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I love my Wii Fit. I also have a body bugg and so I know how many calories I burn doing various activities. Is the Wii Fit the best workout ever? Well, no. However, it is decent. I get a calorie burn similar to walking outside at about 2.5-3 mph.

My push to get serious was a Dr. visit too. I got told I was diabetic and my BP was high. I put some word up on my fridge - diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, foot amputation. That helped me.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #6  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

There are more effective 'interactive dvd' type games for the wii that you don't even need the wii fit board for.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 350/ticker/164

Height: 5'8

If you haven't been doing any other physical actiity, the wii fit will be great to start with!
HeidiNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Welcome!

I'm a big Wii Fit fan - it's really fun, and if you are just starting out, it's a good way to ease into an activity routine. I know I'll outgrow it some point in terms of it being a really effective work out, but I think it will always be fun! and it definitely makes me move more using it than sitting on the sofa watching tv would.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #9  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

This is OT but I had to say it - 30?!?!

All this time I've been thinking you were university student age! You look great!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I own a Wii fit and really enjoy it. My spouse and I use it together for monitoring, play some, laugh at each other trying some of the balance activities, and 30 minutes on the Wii is MUCH better than doing nothing. You can do all sorts of training to get your heart rate up, boost balance and posture (really important for your core muscles), and get you prepared for more vigorous exercise as you lose weight.

We have a blast when our extended family gets together and play games on it (even though we are all well beyond the age most folks play video games). My favorite activity after doing my routine is to work up a sweat doing training with tennis - but I have to move the lamps or they are apt to go flying from my wicked forehand

Last edited by Sskar; 01-18-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I just wanted to insert some encouragement to just go to the gym already! I understand the hestitation, but I have never had a bad experience, even when I swim (and wear the dreaded swimming suit!). I have gotten encouragement from everyone that I have gotten to know there (which may happen if you're at a smaller gym and go at roughly the same time each day), and it's really nice to have some in-person weight loss buddies. Very sweet gym members come in all shapes and genders, too. Some judge me, I'm sure, but if I let that stop me, I wouldn't ever go to the grocery store! Most seem genuinely interested in my success, and that's a great feeling.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote