WHAT??? Sugar Cravings???

• Okay I have been on my game for two weeks today. Now I have a real question? Why am I all of a sudden craving sugar? I have eaten the same thing and exchanged my morning snack from gogurt to granola bar but it was only one day. I took it out because later that night I wanted something sweet. Then two days later I was sleepy and wanted something sweet. Is my body trying to get me to give it something it's used to having?
  • Usually after 2 weeks your body had detoxed from all the sugar. Unless you are eating something that is triggering it, I don't see why you would suddenly have a craving.

The granola bar might be a trigger food for you if that is the only difference in your plan. It could be the sugar in it, the added carbs, lack of protein, etc...
  • I'm a sugar junkie. I love it. I have learned that the best way to keep myself from going all out and eating a king size candy bar is to have small amounts of sugar in the evening. I have some Quaker Rice cake bite thingies that are chocolate and only have 60 cals a serving. Or I will eat a bowl of cereal, those chocolate cheerios someone was posting about are great. But that is just me. I'm able to work it into my plan without taking up a lot of my calories, so I do. And I haven't had a candy bar in a week, which is probably a record for me.
  • I'm a sugar junkie as well. I try to keep something sweet but low cal on hand. For me, that's the Breyers Light Yogurt (80 cals for a big 6oz cup), cinnamon and pecan Special K bar (90 cals for 1 bar), or a 100cal pack of Keebler fudge stripes. If I want something sugary, I eat a reasonable snack. So far, so good! I even turned my back on a package of delicious Ferrero Roche chocolates.
  • Lack of sleep can make you crave sugar. You mentioned being sleepy at one point. This might be your problem.
  • Maybe since you haven't had it in a while. I'd go with what ToriLeigh said and have smaller servings of sugar or try gum, that works for me sometimes.
  • I was thinking it was the granola bar because that was the only change. In order for me not to fall by the wayside I have to eliminate any sugar besides natural sugar like fruits. I have only been drinking water, no juice, soda or diet drinks. I also stay away from things that turn into sugar after I eat them.

My "drug" if you will is chips of any kind. I tried some animal crackers and can't do those either. I have to do it this way in order for me to complete my journey. I am going to stay on task because those size 10 jeans are calling my name everytime we go to the mall for our walk.
  • If you are like me, eating anything with flour or sugar can cause cravings....also possible... TOM, stress, or as Girlygirl said, lack of sleep.
    If I stick with veggies and protein during the day, and then introduce healthy carbs at night, I seem to do much better.
  • I had a tremendous amount of energy the first week and a half. My husband and I work out and I've been taking my vitamins so I don't understand where the tiredness is coming from. I have been going to bed and getting at least 7 hours of sleep.

mairgrace - I will monitor the flour and sugar. TOM might have played a part because it was after that I was craving sugar. Never noticed a correlation before...probably because I wasn't paying so close attention to my body I was just eating. Most of the time TOM is so light I almost don't know it's here.

You guys are great!!