Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #31  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

At the time that I started this journey I considered the lap band. With the numbers I had at the time my insurance company would have paid for it completely. I read and I read and I read. I had decided that for me the lap band would be the safest and best option of the surgery choices. There was some part of me that was rebelling against the idea though. For the sake of that part of me I decided that I would give myself a 2 month goal of 20 pounds. If I could lose 20 pounds in 2 months on my own then I could lose 130 pounds on my own. I made it to the 20 pounds and then gave up for a few months, but I had made it so I knew this could be done. I started back a few months later with no intention of ever considering surgery. It is hard work, but that just gives me more incentive not to put the weight back on if I don't want to go through this again. I have nothing against people who decide to get the surgery, but I do not think it is the only option for anyone. Also, the really fast loss only happens at the beginning for most of them. I have a friend who had surgery and her rate of loss dropped after a few months down to barely more than mine. I also think I am healthier than her because I have had to do it with food choices and I have seen what she eats even after surgery, it's not good.

LaurieDawn - I'm so glad that you have decided that being a good role model for your little girl is more important than fast weight loss.

Ophelia - I am very glad that you do not see your 10 pound loss as minor. Every single pound is a major battle won.

Robin - I do think you should tell your doc about 3FC. If she actually listens then maybe if some other patient tells her they want to do it without surgery she might tell them to come here for support. I wish you could have my docs, I love them so much and they have supported me through this and continue to do so. One of my docs was practically bouncing and saying how "awesome" it was when I was down my first 15 pounds. I am sorry your doc is not so good, I wish everyone could have great docs. One of mine left recently, he left the air force and moved to Texas, I was very sad to see him go. I was also worried about the type of doc he might be replaced with, but I got lucky again.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #32  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

My doctor and his secretary SHRIEK WITH GLEE every single time I walk into the office and will LOUDLY proclaim to EVERYONE there how much weight I've lost (the last time I was in there I had lost 160 pounds) and he always says that he had NOTHING to do with my weight loss... but he tells all his clients now that it can be done. And references me
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieDawn View Post
Yes, I think it would be challenging. But this is not my first rodeo. I find it easier to go way low-cal than to eat moderately - both require a high degree of commitment.
I can relate to this (perhaps many can).

I do not know anything about WLS, however, and so don't know how low you are thinking? I saw a mention of 600 calories but it wasn't in one of your posts. I do not think you should eat that low, no.

My opinion is that you should not eat lower than 800-900 on any sort of regular basis. I did eat pretty low -- started at ~930 cals and worked my way up, actually the opposite of what most do.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote