3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Bmi - I Hate You!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/190740-bmi-i-hate-you.html)

Amber1011 01-13-2010 12:58 AM

Bmi - I Hate You!!!!

So, I had a shell shock moment today when I was looking up BMI's for my height (5'0"). My ultimate goal has always been around 150... until today.

Right now at 250 my BMI is around 49. Extremely obese.
At 150lbs my BMI would be like 29.4 - not only still overweight, but just 10ths of a point away from being obese! That just seems insane to me.
Being 125lbs is at the highest end of "normal" for my height.

Holy Bejesus!

The only thing I think about is that I do have a large frame, so 125 may not be possible. I'm shooting for that now, but I'm not going to freak out if I just can't get that far.

I guess I just had a holy cow moment because 150 always seemed TINY to me because I have been in the 200s as far as I can remember, and 125 seems insane.

*PHEW*
But here is to taking it a lb at a time!

Anyone else have a bit of shellshock at learning their "ideal" weight?

mandalinn82 01-13-2010 01:02 AM

My ideal weight is not an option for me. At 8-10 lbs overweight, I have a very healthy body fat percentage, a good amount of muscle, and wear size 8 pants. BMI is great at looking at populations, but not so great at evaluating one individual, who has his/her own body type, tendency to put on muscle, etc.

So get where you feel comfortable, and if the BMI says that isn't good enough, disregard it. Other measures have been proven better at predicting health outcomes (like waist circumference, for example) than BMI anyway.

ToriLeigh 01-13-2010 01:24 AM

BMI is a great basic goal, but there are so many factors that it does not consider. I would leave your goal as is and see how you feel when you get there. As Mandalinn said, waist circumfrence is better proven as a predictor for heart issues as is waist hip ratio. The waist hip one I love because I am already in the safe zone as far as that is concerned. But anyway, don't let the "correct" bmi bog you down. It is a reference point for a healthy weight, not the end all scale.

Trixie14 01-13-2010 04:16 AM

I don't go by BMI at all.. I think it's bogus crap, imo anyway. Just pick a weight that you feel comfortable with and aim for that, I'd also like to be around 150 or so someday (I still have to wait and see what I'm actually comfortable at once I get back into the 100's someday), which for my height is still considered overweight according to the BMI, but that is about half of what I weigh now.. so the BMI can shove it lol Losing half of my body weight is good enough for me!

TIARA 01-13-2010 04:24 AM

im in the same boat as you .. but my doctor said my healthy range is 144 to 125 im shooting for somewhere in the middle but like you i am also taking it 1 pound at a tme..

supernessa 01-13-2010 06:08 AM

That seems very small to me. I am like you, 5' tall and have a bigger build and 150 sounded good since I was about that (or a little less) my senior year of high school and looking back at pictures I look very skinny.

thistoo 01-13-2010 06:34 AM

I'm 5'0" and I've been hanging out at the 150-155 mark for about three months now. I'm a size 6/small on top and an 8-10 on the bottom (classic hourglass shape). Still overweight, definitely. A few pounds on the 'obese' side of things, even, which is a bummer. But I feel pretty confident at this weight, and I look pretty good in clothes, if that comforts you at all.

My doctor, on the other hand, says I should aim for 115. Her scale is 5 pounds lighter than mine, which means at home I'd have to aim for 110. SO not happening!

Eliana 01-13-2010 07:55 AM

Being short sucks. :(

I agree that the goal of 150 is an excellent one. Once you reach it, like this too, you may decided it isn't where you want to be. In any case, 150 would still be an amazing accomplishment. Just take it a pound at a time. Every pound does your body good.

cathydoe 01-13-2010 09:57 AM

Holy Bejesus! <----I haven't heard that in a long time!

Oh yeah...us shortie folks are screwed when it comes to numbers!

The other day I was reading on the 5 to 5 foot 2 thread and someone was working towards 99. Holy crapola! That is still in my mind!

I have to believe...that if we are truly honest with ourselves...and eating healthy and exercising and eating in moderation...moderation meaning we have balance in our lives...all will work out.

Holy cow...look at what size Caroline is wearing at 150ish. I can't image!

Lots of use of the word HOLY in this post. Does this count for a prayer? Just kidding!

ubergirl 01-13-2010 10:05 AM

I myself could not bear the thought of putting a goal weight that involved more than 120 pounds, so that's how I picked my goal.

You can have any goal you want and reevaluate as you go along.

I started with a BMI of 45, and now it's 34 and BELIEVE ME there is a huge difference in how I look, what I can do and how I feel, so don't let the numbers freak you out.

MakingSkinny 01-13-2010 10:19 AM

I know exactly how you feel! I had the exact same "numbers revelation" just yeaterday and posted about it, too LOL

Lori Bell 01-13-2010 10:40 AM

Hey Amber,

You have "at least" 100 pounds to lose and it's going to take around a year to lose it, (and a life time to maintain it!!). Maybe you should foget about the numbers and just take it one day at a time. Work on that first pound before you worry about the next 99 or so down the road.... :hug:

Wild Vulpix 01-13-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thistoo (Post 3092584)
I'm 5'0" and I've been hanging out at the 150-155 mark for about three months now. I'm a size 6/small on top and an 8-10 on the bottom (classic hourglass shape). Still overweight, definitely. A few pounds on the 'obese' side of things, even, which is a bummer. But I feel pretty confident in at this weight, and I look pretty good in clothes, if that comforts you at all.

My doctor, on the other hand, says I should aim for 115. Her scale is 5 pounds lighter than mine, which means at home I'd have to aim for 110. SO not happening!

Wow! I'm also 5'0" and about the same weight.... but my measurements are completely different :( I'm wearing size 12 jeans and hardly fitting into medium shirts (they usually fit fine.......until they need to be washed. Then the shrinking makes them too small and tight!) You must have a lot more muscle than I do!!

As another 5-footer who is in the 150s, I feel like this is just too heavy. Mind you, my highest weight ever was 164--so it's all relative I guess. But at 150, I feel like I waddle around and just look silly and comical. My butt is huge, though my tummy isn't too big. Still... it's big enough to bother me. (But my butt is, again, gigantic!!) So when you get down to this weight, you might change your mind on stopping here :D

thistoo 01-13-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix (Post 3092974)
You must have a lot more muscle than I do!!

I do have a tremendous amount of muscle under the fat for sure. I've been lifting for a long time, and lifting heavily for a couple months now. It makes a HUGE difference in how you look/how clothes fit, but then again, so does the way our excess weight gets distributed.

My arms, for instance, are abnormally large even with the weight training. I totally rock the bat wings, and as a result short sleeve shirts with banded cuffs will fit fine in the stomach/chest area, but totally cut into my arm fat. It's very frustrating!

(I have a lot of junk in the trunk, too, but I don't really mind. I'd like to get into the size 8 pants that are hanging in my closet [so close! I can wear a 6/8 skirt, but I'm still in a 10 pants-wise] but if I can keep the shape of my derriere, I won't complain. :D)

Eliana 01-13-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Vulpix (Post 3092974)
Wow! I'm also 5'0" and about the same weight.... but my measurements are completely different :( I'm wearing size 12 jeans and hardly fitting into medium shirts (they usually fit fine.......until they need to be washed. Then the shrinking makes them too small and tight!) You must have a lot more muscle than I do!!

As another 5-footer who is in the 150s, I feel like this is just too heavy. Mind you, my highest weight ever was 164--so it's all relative I guess. But at 150, I feel like I waddle around and just look silly and comical. My butt is huge, though my tummy isn't too big. Still... it's big enough to bother me. (But my butt is, again, gigantic!!) So when you get down to this weight, you might change your mind on stopping here :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by thistoo (Post 3092990)
I do have a tremendous amount of muscle under the fat for sure. I've been lifting for a long time, and lifting heavily for a couple months now. It makes a HUGE difference in how you look/how clothes fit, but then again, so does the way our excess weight gets distributed.

My arms, for instance, are abnormally large even with the weight training. I totally rock the bat wings, and as a result short sleeve shirts with banded cuffs will fit fine in the stomach/chest area, but totally cut into my arm fat. It's very frustrating!

(I have a lot of junk in the trunk, too, but I don't really mind. I'd like to get into the size 8 pants that are hanging in my closet [so close! I can wear a 6/8 skirt, but I'm still in a 10 pants-wise] but if I can keep the shape of my derriere, I won't complain. :D)

All right you two! You may just have convinced me that I DO need to add exercise to my weight loss efforts despite my success. :tantrum: