Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #1  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Ever had one of those moments?

Ever had one of those moments that made you realize it was really important you go on this journey of weight loss?

I have.
In December, my husband and I got free tickets to the New Orleans Bowl. We sat in the stadium seats, and they were SO uncomfortable. The cupholders were digging into my legs..I couldn't really enjoy myself because it was so painful.

The next morning I woke up with sores in both legs. It felt like I had been bruised. I was so disgusted with myself.

In the last year, I gained 35 pounds. And I was very overweight at the beginning of the year. So now I'm 275 pounds, and I FEEL it. My body hurts. My self-esteem hurts.

I'll admit, last year was a tough year for me. Gage was still very young, just a few months old. Jordan was diagnosed with autism, and his 6 day a week schedule of therapy took over my life. I was in school at night. But really?? 35 pounds? All this weight gain, when 3 times last year I told myself I was going to make this change..

And while the embarrassment and self-loathing from my stadium chair incident still rings in my head, I haven't made a change. What is it going to take for me to REALLY do this? I hate even saying I'm going to do it..I've said it so many times before.

What was your final push to changing your life? What did it for you?

I want this for myself. For my children. And for my husband.
Thanks in advance ladies.
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Sounds like a rough year. Maybe not an excuse, as you say, but something to consider as well. Forgive yourself and move on. You can do this

For me, my SO texted me and said "I've hit 183lbs...its crisis mode!". I was at 260, 80lbs. over her...what did that say about me? that same day, i was watching one of those "I lost it!" type shows and realized that I was in a similar weight range. It was a hard day, but made me come to terms with my weight.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #3  
Getting Started

Do you ever watch the Biggest Loser? One of the girls on the new season has the same starting weight as I do.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #4  

I love the Biggest Loser...another major wake-up call. I hate seeing people on there that weigh less than I do/did.
I remember watching it with a friend pre-weight loss and she was like "I just don't understand how people can get up that high"...and I weighed more than the chick on the screen.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #5  
Getting Started

That is usually how it is for me too. I look at the women starting in the 220s and WISH I weighed that. I'm the girl who watches The Biggest Loser while eating pizza..
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #6  

You'll be in the 220s soon enough

I used to get super-motivated while watching TBL marathons...followed by massive fast-food runs and the promise to "try better tomorrow". Oh, the irony
Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5.5"

For me it was realizing that I couldn't do it on my own and that I had to get help. I have a therapist that specializes in eating problems. My insurance company actually helped me find this person and is paying for the therapy!

I also have a son with autism. He was diagnosed 5 years ago. Feel free to PM me about anything related to autism.

LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel hughes View Post
That is usually how it is for me too. I look at the women starting in the 220s and WISH I weighed that. I'm the girl who watches The Biggest Loser while eating pizza..
That's just it. You can't WISH for it, you have to WORK for it. It can happen. But it's not something that will happen to you, YOU have to MAKE it happen. It's not some far-fetched out of this world dream. You CAN make losing weight and lots of it a REALITY. You have to not only WANT it, but be WILLING to do what's necessary to get it. And make no mistake about it, you've got the power, the control, the ABILITY to make it happen. You don't have to be overweight if you don't want to be. You've got the choice. You hold the key.

With all that's going on in your life, losing weight would not add to the burden, but take away from it. Life IS easier and simpler without the added burden of carrying around extra pounds. It's easier and simpler. With a lot more joy and happiness and lots less worry and misery.

DECIDE to do this, once and for all and permanently. Decide to do it, than COMMIT to do it. NO MATTER WHAT. You also must make it a tippy top priority. You must realize that it's just as important (if not more so) as whatever else is going on in your life. I made weight loss my job, my mission. I made and took no excuses.

Decide to do this, commit to do - and then set yourself up for success. Make yourself a plan and execute the heck out of it. Rid your home of the junk - while adding in healthy, tasty, nutritious foods. Stay accountable - journal your foods, count your calories. Discover healthy delicious meals to make for your family - and transform your life.

Require more from yourself. Raise your standards. Discover who you were meant to be. Do it for yourself. Do it for your family. Stop settling for second best when first is well within your reach. Push yourself. Reach. Stretch. Strive. Prosper. Learn. Grow. Don't waste another precious second. And don't dread this. Get EXCITED about it. Embrace it. Celebrate it. Adhering to a healthy lifestyle is no burden, no hardship. It's a joy and a blessing. Give it a chance. Work past the initial discomfort and create yourself a new normal and a whole new you.

All the best.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

For me it just clicked one day in May of 2008 after running around with my three kids in the yard. I wanted to have fun with them, I was miserable trying and I totally lost sight of who I was as a person (so not related to me running in the yard lol).

So I decided that it needed to be done....mainly for myself. If I put myself first it really wasn't some crime against being a mom (I have an 8 year old with pdd-nos). I wanted to be that healthy and cute mom. It's been a lot of work but the journey so far has been totally worth it

Where in LA are you from? I'm from New Orleans but live in a small town on the northshore now.....do not let carnival set you back, it's totally do able to eat healthy at Mardi Gras!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 01-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #10  
Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizR View Post
For me it was realizing that I couldn't do it on my own and that I had to get help. I have a therapist that specializes in eating problems. My insurance company actually helped me find this person and is paying for the therapy!

I also have a son with autism. He was diagnosed 5 years ago. Feel free to PM me about anything related to autism.

Thank you so much! I don't know many people in a similar situation, and the large majority of my friends are still single, college students. So they don't really "get it".
Old 01-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #11  
Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
That's just it. You can't WISH for it, you have to WORK for it. It can happen. But it's not something that will happen to you, YOU have to MAKE it happen. It's not some far-fetched out of this world dream. You CAN make losing weight and lots of it a REALITY. You have to not only WANT it, but be WILLING to do what's necessary to get it. And make no mistake about it, you've got the power, the control, the ABILITY to make it happen. You don't have to be overweight if you don't want to be. You've got the choice. You hold the key.

With all that's going on in your life, losing weight would not add to the burden, but take away from it. Life IS easier and simpler without the added burden of carrying around extra pounds. It's easier and simpler. With a lot more joy and happiness and lots less worry and misery.

DECIDE to do this, once and for all and permanently. Decide to do it, than COMMIT to do it. NO MATTER WHAT. You also must make it a tippy top priority. You must realize that it's just as important (if not more so) as whatever else is going on in your life. I made weight loss my job, my mission. I made and took no excuses.

Decide to do this, commit to do - and then set yourself up for success. Make yourself a plan and execute the heck out of it. Rid your home of the junk - while adding in healthy, tasty, nutritious foods. Stay accountable - journal your foods, count your calories. Discover healthy delicious meals to make for your family - and transform your life.

Require more from yourself. Raise your standards. Discover who you were meant to be. Do it for yourself. Do it for your family. Stop settling for second best when first is well within your reach. Push yourself. Reach. Stretch. Strive. Prosper. Learn. Grow. Don't waste another precious second. And don't dread this. Get EXCITED about it. Embrace it. Celebrate it. Adhering to a healthy lifestyle is no burden, no hardship. It's a joy and a blessing. Give it a chance. Work past the initial discomfort and create yourself a new normal and a whole new you.

All the best.

I'll be honest and tell you that I cried a little when I read your response. Because I know it is true, and because I know that I've been holding myself back for so long.
I absolutely believe that my life would be greatly improved if I lost this weight.

Thank you so much.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #12  
Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
For me it just clicked one day in May of 2008 after running around with my three kids in the yard. I wanted to have fun with them, I was miserable trying and I totally lost sight of who I was as a person (so not related to me running in the yard lol).

So I decided that it needed to be done....mainly for myself. If I put myself first it really wasn't some crime against being a mom (I have an 8 year old with pdd-nos). I wanted to be that healthy and cute mom. It's been a lot of work but the journey so far has been totally worth it

Where in LA are you from? I'm from New Orleans but live in a small town on the northshore now.....do not let carnival set you back, it's totally do able to eat healthy at Mardi Gras!

I'm from Gonzales! Oh...but the King Cake! I've been staring at them in Walmart for days.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #13  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

For me it was seeing myself in my sister's wedding pictures. Not the fact that I was fat (I was) but the fact that I was so *miserable*. It was obvious how unhappy I was, and it hurt me to know I'd done that to myself. That was the real impetus for me.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #14  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel hughes View Post
I'm from Gonzales! Oh...but the King Cake! I've been staring at them in Walmart for days.
I just got one from Randazzo's bakery today...it's was plain small one but oh so good! I had a small sliver and my kids and husband took care of the rest

It's cool to see someone on here that isn't too far away! If you ever need help with the local food here feel free PM me

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 01-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #15  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

There hasn't been any "click" for me. I've been trying, REALLY trying, since after the birth of our first son nine years ago. Unfortunately, with PCOS, it's taken me a while to figure out what works for my body. Yeah, yeah...it took me nine years to learn calories in...calories out.

But just to play along...I suppose pictures are major motivators for me. I HATE pictures and can't believe I was as big as I was! Just today I went in search of a good start picture and was horrified.

Last edited by Eliana; 01-09-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote