Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default menu planning

I was thinking. I know - you're all shocked I would do that. Anyway. Menu planning is all about one trip to the store, make good choices, make good meals, right? What if we start a thread of easy combos? Here's one I use about every fourth week. It's five suppers from about two hours prep on Sunday and everything except the stuffed chicken breasts makes leftovers for someone's lunches the next day.

chicken fajitas
stuffed chicken breasts
cobb salad
bbq chicken sandwiches
mini quiche

Shopping list:
big pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts from Sam's
one pack flour tortillas (or wheat)
four onions
three peppers
sour cream
2% shredded cheddar cheese - big pack
salsa
Uncle Ben's wild rice
can lowfat gravy
four bags of chopped romaine
2 avacados
eggs
melba toast
celery
carrots
grape tomatoes
black olives
wheat buns or flat bread
bbq sauce
2 bags of salad shrimp
fresh mushrooms

stuff for sides - we usually have baked sweet potatoes with stuffed chicken breasts and I usually make a batch of broccoli salad to go with the quiche and bbq sandwiches.

On Sunday I slice up a bunch of chicken and put it in a zip-loc bag of fajita marinade and throw it in the fridge. Some of the chicken breasts go in the crock pot for bbq. I cook up the Uncle Ben's and use it to stuff the chicken breasts. Once stuffed, I put them in a casserole dish, cover with a can of low fat gravy and put it in the freezer. Thaw to bake - takes about an hour. Double the time if you bake from frozen.

Slice and bag onions and peppers for fajitas. Chop some onion and pepper and throw in the crock pot with that chicken. Chop the rest of the veggies for salads, etc. Saute mushrooms and onions for quiche. Boil some eggs for cobb salad. When the crockpot chicken is tender, cool slightly to pull, then pour in some bbq sauce. Store in fridge or freezer depending on how long until you need it.

On the night you want to have quiche, put a melba toasts in the bottom of 12 muffin tins. Beat an egg with 1 tbsp milk, salt and pepper. One egg for each muffin tin. Stir in sauteed mushrooms and onions, a pinch of cheese and a few salad shrimp. The nice thing about these is you can customize them - our daughter just wants ham and cheese, DH doesn't want mushrooms, etc. Bake at 350 until set and just turning brown. They will continue to cook a bit when you take them out of the oven. Run a knife around the tin and they lift right out - great with a salad.

We like cobb salad because it looks pretty and it's easy to take what you want - I don't like egg, DH doesn't want avacado, daughter doesn't want tomatoes or shrimp. Chopped leftover fajita chicken goes well on here, too.

I don't know if that helps anybody, but really, it's not hard. If anybody has a combo they use regularly I'd love to hear about it. I've been trying to incorporate more fish into our menus, so if you have easy fish recipes I'd love to hear about them!

Last edited by traci in training; 01-08-2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: skipped a step!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote