Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #16  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Third, always put your weights and equipment back when you're done. Guys especially are guilty of loading huge amounts of weight on a machine and then walking away when they're done, or leaving DBs on the floor or BBs unracked. Even though you'll see it a lot, it's still bad manners.
The lunkheads at my gym (a university) often leave the 100 lb weights on the squat machine. I'm afraid that I will break a toe removing them and have hurt myself in the past! I try to grab some dude walking by to help me remove them. They are usually very nice about helping the "old lady".
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #17  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

the machines at our gym all their own little tv screens. I like to watch movies without commercials (like HBO channels), that makes the time go by fastest for me. It always seems like a guy I know or a trainers walks up behind me right at the steamiest scene. Pretty funny.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

At the Y there is a one set limit while others are waiting for the weight-lifting machines. That said, if the gym isn't busy (the weight room at mine usually isn't) I think it's incredably rude to kick someone off a machine that they aren't finished with. Find another machine to use and go back to that one later. If it is busy (all the machines you need are taken) then obviously you need to ask someone to work in, but PLEASE ask politely (and respond politely when asked)!

Oh, and a question for other Y members: My Y only has weight machines and small dumbells but no larger free weights, is this typical or is my YMCA weird?

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-03-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #19  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
At the Y there is a one set limit while others are waiting for the weight-lifting machines. That said, if the gym isn't busy (the weight room at mine usually isn't) I think it's incredably rude to kick someone off a machine that they aren't finished with. Find another machine to use and go back to that one later. If it is busy (all the machines you need are taken) then obviously you need to ask someone to work in, but PLEASE ask politely (and respond politely when asked)!
You may want to take into account that there are some of us whose trainers have instructed us to do our machines in a particular order. So when I have to switch around my circuit program because some guy decides to sit at a machine for a minute or two while he rests in between sets, I find that incredibly rude.

EDIT: Oops, I meant to answer your question. At my Atlanta-area Y, we have the whole slew of free weights. We used to go to a Y in Charlotte, NC and they had quite a selection as well. But I don't know if that's representative or not.

Last edited by LitChick; 01-03-2010 at 03:58 PM.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #20  
Sing it

S/C/G: 197.4(07)/175 (10)/170.2/161

Height: 5'4"

Another thing I think I forgot to say: A smile is usually your best weapon!
someone stronger than you - often a man - is happy to help sweet little you get those heavy weights back to wherever they go.
They're (men and women) also happy to let you work in a set. If you have good form, they're also apt to respect you for taking the time to work out correctly and will treat you as another gym-goer, not just another girl doing 50 reps with 3 lb weights.
hotstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

well a minute or 2 between sets is rediculous yeah, i wait like 15 to 20 second between sets. if you're going to wait a minute or two you should absolutely get off

oh, and I'm in a metro-atl Y as well. Which one do you go to? I'm at the Decatur-Dekalb one

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #22  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
well a minute or 2 between sets is rediculous yeah, i wait like 15 to 20 second between sets. if you're going to wait a minute or two you should absolutely get off

oh, and I'm in a metro-atl Y as well. Which one do you go to? I'm at the Decatur-Dekalb one
Yeah, taking a quick breather is not a big deal to me, since sets themselves don't take that long. It's the men (and it's always men) who just sit there that bug me, especially when they see people like me standing there waiting.

I go to the Y in Newnan, about 25 miles southwest of Atlanta.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #23  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Swim Lane Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2Ms View Post
... well as swimming in a lap pool (for example, there are two lanes open during the time I have found to swim next week. What do I do it there are two people already using them?
I'm a YMCA person as well.

Here's the usual lane rules:
If you are the only one in the lane, do whatever you want. When someone joins you in the lane, pick one side of the center line and stick to that side. It's perfectly neighborly to stop and tell the person which side you'll swim on.

If you are joining someone in the lane, sit on the edge or get in the water -- this allows the person who is in the lane to notice that you're here and allow them to select one side of the lane. (If you haven't noticed, you're splitting a lane).

If all lanes have two swimmers already, ask the lifeguard for a lane suggestion. They usually have an idea of who might be finishing their workout. If they don't pick a lane that might have swimmers in your same skill set. Again, ready yourself in the water or legs in the water so that the swimmers notice you. In general, you all then move to a counterclockwise (drive to the right) circle within the lane. However, if the two other swimmers are working out together they may make the suggest of splitting the lane and they take one side. But that's up to them to let you know that.

In circle swimming:
If someone wants to pass, they will gently tap your feet. At the wall, you will stop and go to the right corner. The passer will turn and go ahead to you and then you resume swimming.

If you need to rest
, you should hang on the wall in the right corner of the lane. This will allow the other swimmers to continue without bumping into you.

Hope that helps!!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #24  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Oh, and a question for other Y members: My Y only has weight machines and small dumbells but no larger free weights, is this typical or is my YMCA weird?
my Y has a resistance machine room, there's another area where trainers work with several size dbs and other equipment, then downstairs they have a room with the larger free weights, bench press stuff, etc.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

The only gym etiquette I am really a stickler or know about is wiping down the eqip after you have used it.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 292/T/160

Height: 5'8"

Wow! This is great! Thank you guys so much!!!
Momto2Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 292/T/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
I'm a YMCA person as well.

Here's the usual lane rules:
If you are the only one in the lane, do whatever you want. When someone joins you in the lane, pick one side of the center line and stick to that side. It's perfectly neighborly to stop and tell the person which side you'll swim on.

If you are joining someone in the lane, sit on the edge or get in the water -- this allows the person who is in the lane to notice that you're here and allow them to select one side of the lane. (If you haven't noticed, you're splitting a lane).

If all lanes have two swimmers already, ask the lifeguard for a lane suggestion. They usually have an idea of who might be finishing their workout. If they don't pick a lane that might have swimmers in your same skill set. Again, ready yourself in the water or legs in the water so that the swimmers notice you. In general, you all then move to a counterclockwise (drive to the right) circle within the lane. However, if the two other swimmers are working out together they may make the suggest of splitting the lane and they take one side. But that's up to them to let you know that.

In circle swimming:
If someone wants to pass, they will gently tap your feet. At the wall, you will stop and go to the right corner. The passer will turn and go ahead to you and then you resume swimming.

If you need to rest
, you should hang on the wall in the right corner of the lane. This will allow the other swimmers to continue without bumping into you.

Hope that helps!!
This was so helpful! Thank you!!
Momto2Ms is offline   Reply With Quote