Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Arm Fat Not Budging!

I have lost over fifty pounds now. I have lost several inches off my waist, hips, thighs, chest... EVERYTHING, even more than an inch off my neck. But my arms are not shrinking AT ALL!! At 280 pounds they were 17" each at the bicep. And now they are 16 3/4" or even a bit more than that... just a hair under 17". It isn't muscle, since I do *nothing* with my arms and slacked off weight training a long time ago. It is really annoying to have a decent looking, almost normal type of body with the arms of a morbidly obese woman hanging by my side. It looks very disproportionate and I am starting to feel embarrassed about this.

Anyone else have a problem area that WILL NOT shrink?? I mean, after 50+ pounds you'd think ALL parts would shrink...

I am going to keep losing weight and also add arm exercises. I am hoping that building muscle there will start to burn those huge fat stores in the area (even though people say you can't "spot reduce", I think sometimes you can. Which is why when I started biking daily, my hips/butt/thighs shrank way more than anything else).
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My calves. That's where I am storing all of my fat. Talk about disproportionate. I'm wearing XS and size 4's, but my calves are like stumps. VERY frustrating. I'm assuming if I lost another 10 - 15 lbs they'd just have to shrink. But I'm not willing (at this point) to eat any less and/or move anymore. Besides the rest of me would be SCARY bone-y, thin and emaciated looking.

You've still got some time for your arms to catch up with the rest of you though. You will be amazed as you inch towards your goal and then hit it what your "trouble" spot(s) will look like.

Unless of course you're like me . Which you won't be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #3  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

I haven't had a specific problem with my arms, but my weight loss has not been 'even' in my body. My stomach took forever to show a difference, I was losing inches but the results were nothing like the rest of my body. Then suddenly this month it's like my stomach was deflated and the difference is really noticeable (no longer looking quite so pregnant, lol).

It's hard when that one area is stubborn and refuses to budge, but likely your body just needs time to adjust and eventually it will shrink too. Exercising will definitely help build up some muscle and tone that area. I just started adding more exercise into my plan because even though I've lost a lot of weight I have the muscle tone of veal and flab is not very pretty looking. Congrats on your loss & good luck with your arms!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

that would be my "saddle bags" on my thighs...I don't have much more to go and *sigh* they are still there! Ugh....but what can ya do at this point except keep on doing what you are doing right?
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I was just about to say this sounds familiar when I realized haha I read your blog!

Like I said in your blog- I'd add some arm toning exercises to your routine- for me- I put weights in my hands while I'm on the treadmill- it's a killer workout
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I agree that toning is about your only bet for improving their appearance, other than continuing down the scale. My arms have stayed fairly large as well, but for me that is because I put on weight in the center of my body (back, tummy, boobs) and not so much in my limbs, so it takes much larger weight loss to see it in my arms than in does in the areas I readily store fat, like my tummy.

Just keep doing what you're doing, the rest will take care of itself!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have the same problem with my arms. I am sorry to report that while I have been lifting heavily for some time now, I *still* have the same problem with my arms. They *have* gotten smaller, but the skin is just emptying and at this point I'm rocking the bat wings. There's a ton of muscle in there, sure, but there's a lot of extra skin too.

There's going to be surgery in my future, and I'm going to have to figure out a way to pay for it. The only silver lining is that I can get my boobs lifted at the same time, because those haven't gotten any smaller either. Like Robin, I've also got huge calves. I tried on a pair of tall boots yesterday, just to see if they'd zip. Nope. Maybe when I'm at goal, I don't know. I try not to let it get to me.

Last edited by thistoo; 12-29-2009 at 09:06 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Thanks guys. I just want to see them shrink SOME!! Crazy arms.

I am also going to get back to skin brushing (focused on the triceps area) before I shower. I think that helps the skin tighten up... also good lotion... but I guess I won't know for sure until I lose all this weight and see what's left. Here's to hoping.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

My stomach won't shrink! And not only won't it shrink, but it's subject to bloat. I've dropped 3" in 65 pounds, but I still have a 41" waist, and on bloat days it goes right back to 43".

On the other hand, I've got great legs... Even at 300 lbs I never had "chub rub" and now, I've got Tina Turner gams... too bad they're attached to a potato.

Now that I think about it, I have no idea what my arms are-- I never bothered to measure them.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #10  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am having the same problem with my arms. I could wear at least one smaller size if my arms were in proportion to the rest of me. Thistoo described them perfectly "They *have* gotten smaller, but the skin is just emptying and at this point I'm rocking the bat wings. "

I would still rather have the emptying skin then the fat filled skin!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default "As seen on TV"

One morning this week I saw the "Instant arm lift" on The late hour of the Today Show with Kathie Lee and Hoda. They could not see a use for it, probably because they have thin arms. I wonder if it really does any good?

"As seen on TV"
http://www.instantarmlift.com/
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
One morning this week I saw the "Instant arm lift" on The late hour of the Today Show with Kathie Lee and Hoda. They could not see a use for it, probably because they have thin arms. I wonder if it really does any good?
You know, I was out to dinner with a coworker I occasionally socialize with recently, and the subject of plastic surgery came up. She's not skinny, but she's never been heavy enough to know what it's like to face the prospect of reconstructive surgery.

Anyway, she flat-out said that she judges people who get plastic surgery. I told her that was fine, but I didn't particularly care what she or anyone else thinks, and if I can swing arm surgery I will get it eventually.

Later that night she sent me a link to an article on Jezebel about the instant arm lift. It's just her sense of humor, but I thought it was a little obnoxious. Not worth making a fuss about, certainly, but it's funny that people who don't get it and never will feel like they can make fun of stuff that's a big source of self-consciousness for some of us.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I am with ya. I WISH my arms would shrink at bit. After losing 80 lbs they've only shrunk .5 inches. I've been weight training for about 10 months and my arms are looking defined but the loose skin is terrible and they just aren't getting smaller. I'm hoping as i get a bit closer to goal they magically will magically shrink...
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #14  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I am a pear, have always been a pear, fat or thin. My hips and legs will always be bigger. We all have our areas that come and go faster than others. I agree with what others have said, try incorporating the weight training in your arms/upper body. Ultimately, you may be surprised at how your body settles. Don't lose sight of the fact that having the loose arms means you've lost weight! YAY! This is a good thing!

P.S. - Your avatar is the same bike I have. I love it! It's a comfy chair and a hybrid between the recumbent and uprights.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I have this problem with my tummy
It doesn't make sense because I have lost a few inches there (not many compared with anywhere else), but it looks BIGGER. It's less proportionate now and it sticks out more. Today i tried on an old shirt which I never wore out because of the tummy area. I thought I'd be able to wear it but my tummy looks the same if not worse lol! I've lost 60+ pounds.
I'm hoping the stomach is the next thing to go!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote