Old 12-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #16  

Height: 5'4"

I've met some of the nicest, most helpful people at my gym. Granted, this gym is in a small town and has a contract with the local hospital - so most of the people in the cardio room with me while I'm working out are heart patients, older, and not gym bunnies. But it's always a welcoming place.

No matter how rude someone is to you, don't let the fear of being treated poorly affect what you do. Enjoy your life, it's yours to live - don't let some stranger control you!
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 402/277/healthy

Height: 5'4"

I used to swim at a Community Center. At that time, I weighed 400+ pounds. If the high school swim team was practicing when I was there - I had trouble concentrating on my laps because I was so afraid one of them would make a nasty crack about my fat. You know what? In the 4 years I went there, nobody said anything negative : ) While gyms/swimming pools feel like vulnerable places...they are usually filled with positive people who aren't inclined to nastiness.

So, I think you have every reason to believe your prayer will be answered.

Your last sentence showed wonderful insight! That will go far in helping you reach all your goals, not just losing pounds.
bluebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #18  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

I totally agree with you guys about the gym - but as a newbie it _is_ very intimidating going to the gym only because you're kind of saying "here I am, I'm fat, I know it and I'm dealing with it." (which _we_ all know is a good thing ). Needless to say perhaps, I might be preaching to the choir here, but it was hard even to make the decision to go to the gym, sign up and be a member for a full year. Who knew it was possible to do it, and still feel good about it three weeks in? Thankfully people have not commented there, and I doubt they will, but still.... you feel vulnerable.

Thank you all for your support!
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:11 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

My experience at gyms and health centers has always been positive. Never ever a negative word. I wouldn't be concerned about it!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:51 AM   #20  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

When I joined the gym for the first time at the end of July this year I was literally terrified. The first few times I walked into the cardio suite I was positive everyone was staring at me and thinking what's with the fat lady, she doesn't belong in here. I know for a while I was the biggest person in there. But after a few weeks I realised people are more interested in themselves and really, does it matter what they think anyway? I'm there to get this weight off and get fit.
And now, 5 months down the line, I've had lots of lovely comments about my weight loss and how well I'm doing!
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #21  
Low carber :)

S/C/G: 223/212/size 6

Height: 64 inches

299~ I know I replied to this in your blog but reading this again made me think of my one girlfriends a few years back. She has an amazingly quirky sense of humor. She has overcame a lot and always inspires me in her own quirky way

Anyways she was getting out of a car and some teen boys yelled "fat fat~ want some cake!!!!????" Horrifying right??? The people with her thought so. Not her! She thought those boys were the most stupid, goofy, funny thing she had ever seen! She was laughing hysterically AT THEM for being that way !!!!!!!! I still don't understand why it struck her as so darn funny but she swears it was too funny and stupid to even be insulting (told you she had a quirky sense of humor and she doesn't lie) but I hope everyone of us who ever may be insulted again just sees what she sees~ the total stupidity~ goofiness of the commenter.
thinnerbyjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #22  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Great story, thinnerbyjuly! I love your friend - like totally, in love

I wish we could all be like that! But yes, I will try, and I shall keep this story in mind for whenever I hear something like that again
299lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #23  
Meg

My biggest cheerleaders during the year that I lost weight were the people at my gym. They saw me there every day, working hard to better myself, and they -- better than anyone -- understood the effort and determination it took.

Funny story -- a few months after I joined the gym, I was nervously working out in the weight room, feeling like a fish out of water. Me, still a fat PTA mom, in with all the buff guys. A huge, very fit guy walked over to me, complete with multiple piercings, tattoo, chain around his neck, bandana, dressed all in black ... and I thought OMG, what have I done, what unwritten rule have I broken? In a deep voice he said "I've been watching you" and I thought I was going to die. Then he went out to say he'd seen how hard I'd been working and the progress I'd made, told me to keep up the good work and said all kinds of sweet and complimentary things. Turns out he was a big teddy bear.

I've never seen anything except respect and admiration for heavy people in the gym who are working to change themselves. Walking into a gym at 257 pounds was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, but it turns out to have been a life-changing decision. I wish I could freeze that moment in time and somehow save it, because it was the turning point.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I was also afraid of doing things like buying work out videos and dumbells and yoga mats etc. I didn't want people to look at me like, "who are you kidding." I actually didn't get any looks like that, and why should I? Just today I saw a women jogging down my street and her weight is definitely in the 300s. All I could think was how fantastic that is!! I had been embarassed to just buy work out stuff but she was out running with no shame (why in the world SHOULD she be ashamed). Anyway all the hang ups I had were my own problem, I don't think the majority of people would actually look down on a heavy person for working out!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #25  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Yep, we Canadians are definitely polite! It's a shame that in today's world, that is often seen as a sign of weakness, and rudeness is more readily accepted.

I can't say, though, that I haven't had comments directed at me about my weight. It started in grade three, on a daily basis, until the day I graduated high school. Wait, that isn't exactly truthful - I had some respite during Summer holidays. I had experiences similar to that of Rakel...boys used to sarcastically ask me out, etc., pretending they were in love with me. Of course I knew better. They always used to sing that song "You Are So Beautiful to Me" and I am nearing 40, but to this day, I hate that song and will change the radio station, or t.v. channel, if I hear it.

I had no self esteem growing up and had to work really hard to get it. I still have days of self doubt. The boys who treated me like that in school, well, we all grew up and get along now, but to this day, I don't have much confidence when it comes to men.

These days, people don't say much to me about my weight. The last person was my former supervisor, who blurted out "you gaining your weight back?" when I got into work one day, without saying "hello" or anything else. It kinda jarred me, I admit, who expects to hear that the second they walk in the door? She used to make comments often like that anyway, so I am really glad to be out of that toxic place.

I have been direct and snarky with people that DO comment. One older man, one day, who is known for being rude, made a comment one time when I was at a store buying a diet Coke and Aero single (100 calories). He made a comment, pretty much saying I should be careful of what I eat so I wouldn't get any bigger. I said, "Now you listen here, I have lost 80 pounds, so don't you dare say anything about my weight" and walked off. Not that I think anybody should be subjected to comments about their weight, regardless of whether they started their journey or not.

Another time I was doing "Couch to 5K" and was walking along, when the direction to run came up. When I started, some kids started laughing. I smirked at them, and said, "what, never saw a person jog before?"

Anyways, I had no idea I would make this post so long! Sorry that had to happen to you, 99Pounds, but try not to let it bother you. I know, it's easier said than done. Just take satisfaction in the knowledge that you are doimng something positive with your life. Some people can't handle that, but that's their problem. Just keep on taking care of you. Take care.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #26  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

People can just be stupid. They need to work on the internal filter. My story is slightly OT, but proves the point that it isn't just weight people can be idiots about.

Several years ago when I was noticeably pregnant with my first daughter I had a routine appointment with my OB which always meant that I had to give a urine sample. In those days, I went so often that I couldn't wait until I got to the doctor's office and then of course didn't have to go there. On this particular day I decided to stop at the Dairy Queen right by the office and get a large diet sprite hoping that by the time they actually take me I will have to go. So, I am standing in line and some guy comes up beside me and very snottily asks if I am having a craving. Really? WTF? I was so confused and taken aback that I just smiled and turned away. Later I thought how fun it would be to order a chili dog with chocolate sauce and drop it on him on my way out.

I don't know what it is about pregnancy or weight that people feel like they have some sort of open license to comment. And it's rarely polite - almost always very judgemental. I would never do that. When does something like that even seem like an option?

We all have our issues that we are working on but the thing that gets me about food issues is that it is so public. I have thin people that I am around that seem so smug at thier thinness but they also have other issues that aren't on a big billboard. I would never go up to someone that was having a problem overcoming an alcohol addiction and taunt them about a drink. Our society just seems to be more accepting of rudeness to overweight people. Okay, now I really am getting OT, but thanks for hearing me out.

Hold your heads high ladies - like someone said - I may be overweight, but they clearly have a bigger problem!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Once upon a time, I was a "gym bunny". 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, on top of playing soccer and leading a healthy, active lifestyle. And I can tell you that every time a larger person walked in the gym- it made me smile, and, quite honestly, inspired the **** out of me. Here was someone with enough balls to walk into an environment that most likely made them uncomfortable and say "**** with it- I care more about myself than what other people think about me" Not to mention the fact that the physical challenges of being obese make working out so much more difficult, so my 2 hour workout (in terms of effort it required on my part) was nothing compared to someone 2 (or even 3) times my size working out for less than half the time. So the next time you go to the gym- hold your head high and know that the other people there- especially the hard bodies and gym bunnies- are doing an internal happy dance for you, and using your courage and determination as inspiration for their workouts.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

SouthLake, I love the quote in your sig
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #29  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think most gym people understand that everyone is there for a common goal of improving our fitness and/or working on losing/gaining weight. I have been going to my gym since last March and I go at the same time as this young gal, 20-ish, who participates in triathlons. I know this because we also change in the same general area in the locker rooms and have chatted. I was never so thrilled as when she mentioned that I have lost a lot of weight and she admired me for it.

I remember worrying about going to the gym because of my weight, and I'm glad to see that it isn't an issue.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 167/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

aw hun, keep your head up! <hug>
CRISTAL1985 is offline   Reply With Quote